• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 clone build

Recent eBay listing. Looks like it’s painted a matte O.D. green. Has one $2500 bid😬

Attachments

• 659DD2FB-C749-44DF-9C1F-C49256B12266.jpeg
    659DD2FB-C749-44DF-9C1F-C49256B12266.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 1351CAA8-A1F9-4386-94BF-A3AEBADF56C3.jpeg
    1351CAA8-A1F9-4386-94BF-A3AEBADF56C3.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 0136B53A-D34D-4874-8F3D-7C9BFD6ABEB9.jpeg
    0136B53A-D34D-4874-8F3D-7C9BFD6ABEB9.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 159
USMCSGT0331: help us novice collectors understand the differences between the current eBay offering starting at $2500 and And the other offering starting at $8000. Thanks

USMCSGT0331: help us novice collectors understand the differences between the current eBay offering starting at $2500 and And the other offering starting at $8000. Thanks

I'll do what I can to help with knowledge on these scopes, over the years I've owned 10 original greenies. I currently have 8, I sold one and gave another to a good friend.

NOT REAL USMC SCOPE:

The scope at $2,500 is a correct scope in terms of features, but it's not a USMC scope. It's a Gen 1 Redfield Accu-Range (not their Accu-Trac) 3-9x40 scope with the flat turret caps and long magnification throw lever. It also has the correct 600 rangefinder (tombstone) and is close to the USMC serial number range.

Unfortunately, this scope was a shiny black anodized civilian model that was painted green. This would be the perfect scope to send out for green anodizing. This specific scope with it's features and color of green paint would still look great on a clone rifle, but it's only worth a few hundred bucks. It's just not an original USMC scope and it will never be one.

REAL USMC SCOPE:

The scope at $8,000 starting bid with the buy it now of $11,000 is a real USMC scope. It's a Gen 1 Redfield Accu-Range 3-9x40 scope with the flat turret caps and long magnification throw lever. It also has the correct 600 rangefinder (tombstone) and features an engraved serial number on the left side of the scope tube. This serial number is 22118x (the "x" is because the seller doesn't show the last digit). The scope's serial number is F58121.

This scope is very beautiful, you can see how UV light has transformed parts of the scope's anodizing and you can see the rifle's 6 digit serial number engraved in beautiful architectural script. These are things you cannot fake. This is a 100% real M40 scope from 1966. The condition and engraving points to the fact that it was from the original issue of M40's and was paired to a rifle, but it didn't see any substantial use.

This scope was on an 6 digit rifle that probably spent most of it's life within an armory. However, that does not belay this scope's historical significance. The original issued scopes were matched to their rifle by serial number, this is one of those scopes.

PERSONAL OPINION:

At $2,500 the painted scope is at an insane price! You can buy a similar scope in the same serial number range with the same features, then get it anodized or coated for much less!

The $8,000 legit/real/authentic USMC M40 scope is overpriced, $11,000 buy it now is beyond insane (unless anyone wants to buy one of my original scopes for $11k, then it's totally cool!!! LOL). It's real, it's beautiful, it's a $6,000 scope.

The last legit greenie to sell recently was on Ebay, June 9th, and it was a 57xxx serial number scope that didn't have a rifle's serial number engraved on the tube.

I'm not affiliated with either sellers, caveat emptor.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anymore information or photos. Also my resume:

MLmHVUF.jpg

m3bN6Yo.jpg

And next class is about anodizing color shift under various lighting conditions ;)

KbCtMKc.jpg

asHJEKv.jpg

USMCSGT0331: A great tutorial, as only you could provide. I follow your postings wherever I find them, here, AR15, M14forum, etc. I would buy your book if you ever get there simply for the pictures, your pictures are the best anywhere, Was very interesting when you showed pics of how you and your father produce the pics. I purchased one of your MK13 stocks, no I did not get sucked into the mess with Alan Brown, i am using Raven. Thanks again for the Greenie analysis. I look at your Gunbroker auction for the USMC Barrett on occasion, having tried to purchase one of those over the years as well........

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing them.

The last legit greenie to sell recently was on Ebay, June 9th, and it was a 57xxx serial number scope that didn't have a rifle's serial number engraved on the tube.

I'm still upset that I didn't get the real greenie in June 2019 on eBay as I was the highest bidder all week, but an eBay programming error re a false "ITAR Warning" prevented me from increasing my bid in the final day, and another guy in TX got the scope (as noted in post #31). He was not a collector, didn't have an M40 replica or even an interest in building one, and of course flipped it immediately for huge profit. I don't think I'll ever forgive eBay for their programming error or myself for not jacking up/doubling my initial bids to secure that nice greenie since I was the highest bidder that week... It will always be "The Greenie that got away.”

Last edited:
I’ll bet the seller is going to have a return on his hands after the buyer receives the scope. Some people don’t ask enough questions or look closely at pics. He’s got to realize it’s not anodized once he has it in hand.

And my collar bone is bruised 😁 An aluminum butt plate will remind you of your fundamentals real quick.

You aint kiddin....

I took mine to a class at SIG a month or so ago.

Never a problem at my typical 20 round slow fire sessions but after 100 plus 175 FGMM I was a whipped dog.

That is a great post. Using the SFP to your advantage by splitting the power is a great bit of knowledge that I don’t think many take advantage of. We do it quite often while shooting .22’s out to 400.

My old Redfield puts me smack dab in no mans land for holdovers. I have the rifle zeroed at 400Y and then hold under/over from there.
Thankfully all my targets stay still and don’t shoot back when I send one over the top 😁

Nice build. Might I suggest Flat Black (I use bake on) Durakote for the butt plate? Simulates anodizing pretty close.

Attachments

• 20210120_144253.jpg
    20210120_144253.jpg
    798.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 20210120_143837.jpg
    20210120_143837.jpg
    837.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 20210120_144050.jpg
    20210120_144050.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 151
I'll do what I can to help with knowledge on these scopes, over the years I've owned 10 original greenies. I currently have 8, I sold one and gave another to a good friend.

NOT REAL USMC SCOPE:

The scope at $2,500 is a correct scope in terms of features, but it's not a USMC scope. It's a Gen 1 Redfield Accu-Range (not their Accu-Trac) 3-9x40 scope with the flat turret caps and long magnification throw lever. It also has the correct 600 rangefinder (tombstone) and is close to the USMC serial number range.

Unfortunately, this scope was a shiny black anodized civilian model that was painted green. This would be the perfect scope to send out for green anodizing. This specific scope with it's features and color of green paint would still look great on a clone rifle, but it's only worth a few hundred bucks. It's just not an original USMC scope and it will never be one.

REAL USMC SCOPE:

The scope at $8,000 starting bid with the buy it now of $11,000 is a real USMC scope. It's a Gen 1 Redfield Accu-Range 3-9x40 scope with the flat turret caps and long magnification throw lever. It also has the correct 600 rangefinder (tombstone) and features an engraved serial number on the left side of the scope tube. This serial number is 22118x (the "x" is because the seller doesn't show the last digit). The scope's serial number is F58121.

This scope is very beautiful, you can see how UV light has transformed parts of the scope's anodizing and you can see the rifle's 6 digit serial number engraved in beautiful architectural script. These are things you cannot fake. This is a 100% real M40 scope from 1966. The condition and engraving points to the fact that it was from the original issue of M40's and was paired to a rifle, but it didn't see any substantial use.

This scope was on an 6 digit rifle that probably spent most of it's life within an armory. However, that does not belay this scope's historical significance. The original issued scopes were matched to their rifle by serial number, this is one of those scopes.

PERSONAL OPINION:

At $2,500 the painted scope is at an insane price! You can buy a similar scope in the same serial number range with the same features, then get it anodized or coated for much less!

The $8,000 legit/real/authentic USMC M40 scope is overpriced, $11,000 buy it now is beyond insane (unless anyone wants to buy one of my original scopes for $11k, then it's totally cool!!! LOL). It's real, it's beautiful, it's a $6,000 scope.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anymore information or photos. Also my resume:

MLmHVUF.jpg

m3bN6Yo.jpg

And next class is about anodizing color shift under various lighting conditions ;)

KbCtMKc.jpg

asHJEKv.jpg
Hi there! I'd love to see some photos of the stocks and barrels you have.
I still think you should do a book.
[email protected]

NOT REAL USMC SCOPE:

REAL USMC SCOPE:

PERSONAL OPINION:

MLmHVUF.jpg

m3bN6Yo.jpg

KbCtMKc.jpg

asHJEKv.jpg
Hi Ryan. Any chance you could post some stock and barrel photos, please?

2 question-
What's the correct serial number range for an M40? And where can I get my Redfield anodized?

Looking for a Knowledgeable/informed info on this Stock;

Attachments

• IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Nice stock, and I'll defer to others, but the serial # stamp on bottom of pistol grip looks like a military issued M40. (The USMC ordered the most M40s in 1966, but and US Air Force and US Navy also ordered about 120 rifles as well, circa 1966-69).

2 question-
What's the correct serial number range for an M40? And where can I get my Redfield anodized?
Can someone find the old M40 info thread and make it a sticky again.

Tokiwartooth on here and the M40 forum was the only person I know of who was doing the annodizing but he had to stop for personal reasons and I don't believe he has started doing it again at this time.

2 question-

221xxx, 224xxx and 322xxx. There were also a few test rifles in the 168xxx range

Looking for a Knowledgeable/informed on this Stock;

Looks like a legit stock made in 1966. Pull the buttplate off and post photos. There should be a production control number that matches on the stock and the buttplate, more than likely it will be a 2 digit number.

Beautiful 👍👍👍
Did you have the receiver U.S. stamped? Any barrel stamping done? Who anodized your scope? Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful 👍👍👍
Did you have the receiver U.S. stamped? Any barrel stamping done? Who anodized your scope? Thanks for sharing!
No stamping as of yet. I should have that done. I wanted to see how the barrel shot first.
I did the scope. I couldn't find anyone to do it so I got crafty. I think it turned out well.

Scope looks great 👍 Good job. I really like the whole rifle. I have a 6 digit receiver and most other parts gathered up for a build. Just need the right barrel now and a “builder”.

Looks like one of my scopes, if I'm not mistaken.
Anyway, I'm getting ready to close on a place in Chattanooga, so operations will resume soon. Divorce and NYC life had limited me. They would probably deem my scopes as "firearms". Anyway, I'm out of here in a few weeks, once I'm settled in, I'll get the tanks all setup, dust off my memory, and start things up again for you guys. It's been a long 4 years....

Anyway, I'm getting ready to close on a place in Chattanooga, so operations will resume soon. Divorce and NYC life had limited me. They would probably deem my scopes as "firearms". Anyway, I'm out of here in a few weeks, once I'm settled in, I'll get the tanks all setup, dust off my memory, and start things up again for you guys. It's been a long 4 years....
Customer in waiting…love to have a standard early Redfield strung with mil dots and anodized……

Another customer in waiting. I have my scope and am ready to ship it out to you. Dreams do come true. Lol
Great to “see” Toki

Honored that you think it looks like your fine work sir.
In the place of anodizing I stripped the original finish while assembed, finished the aluminum to look the part of ano., and mixed up a custom o.d. green candy coat at my brother's body shop.
Take a peek at the first page of this post and you can see the process.

I eagerly await your upcoming work and posts.

- Jon

Hey toki, any updates on getting things set up at your new place?
I have a scope just begging for your green treatment ;)
DW

Reactions: Flint62a1
Same, Waiting for you to tell me you are making mil-dot reticles in the old redfields.

Reactions: deltawiskey
What would the value be on the above posted original M40 stock?