• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 New Manufacture Stock

Arthur_1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2017

Folks

I recently purchased a M40 walnut stock on Ebay from a vendor "Beever156". Inletting is a nice tight fit to my rifle, surface finish is extremely smooth. He has a pair for sale at $400 right now.
No personal interest in the sale. Just thought it might help someone out building a M40ish clone.

Best regards,
Arthur

I sent one of his M40 stocks to LRI to build me a rifle…..

C66CF2B2-00B7-4A40-BD87-22BD93439B77.jpeg

I did the oil finish….

A86E71FF-24E1-4036-8F77-4A1DCCB24FC6.jpeg

3387ABF8-EC27-44BB-9208-C59FED0A2113.jpeg

CC708A7C-DD71-414B-AC43-E892247AA3DD.jpeg

LRI AI compatible bottom metal.

EFE054DA-BE0B-474D-B0CE-83B8DD5C6BD8.jpeg

Comes with a flush three rounder….

9E9EF911-11D9-4DA7-B890-2C3866E4A341.jpeg

300 yard target I shot with 175 FGMM

B808C461-3082-4B24-8C19-2A67E27F8957.jpeg

C4946715-161B-464C-9316-051A75CF258D.jpeg

I did buy one a while back mostly because I was curious how close they were to an original.

With enough work you can actually get them decently close. The biggest problem was the front nose on the repo is much thicker and you have to sand off a substantial amount to make it more correct to an original.

But all in all it's not a bad stock at all. After a full day of sanding, I could lay it next to an original M40 stock, and it was pretty close.

• Love
Reactions: sinister
If guys who need an M40 stock can wait a little bit, we might be able to convince Chad Dixon @LRI to scan my original USMC M40 wood stock and then create some 100% perfect replicas on a CNC machine! Chad, is this something that you'd be willing to work on? If so, I can give you my absolute best M40 stock to scan! It's 100% factory original, it's never been bedded or had shellac put on the exterior or any other modifications. It's THE M40 stock that you'd want to make replicas with!

Nice rifle!!

My rifle is a basic Remington 700 Varmint in .308. I had it in a synthetic stock with an aluminum bedding block that I bedded. The gun would shoot, but it was so heavy it wasn't any fun other than shooting prone. Changing to the wood stock, BDL floor plate instead of the DBM, keeping the Nightforce SHV.
Goal is to have a rifle that I could hunt with while still retaining decent 600 yard capability, and look a little like a M40.

All the best,
Arthur

He is constantly making and listing new ones. The nice part is that you see the stock you are getting, not a generic example. If you don't like the grain, wait for one to show that you do like.

Reactions: Arthur_1
I am not associated with the seller but Beever has another M40 stock available on Ebay.

Many years ago I got a stock from Mike Kokulus, Custom Gun Stock Duplicating outta Pennsylvania, cannot remember whether he had an original in his personal collection or whether it was a duplicate of a stock from Martin Bordson. Obviously the quality was very good. Unfortunately Mr Kokulus has passed but I believe someone was still producing high quality stocks

Awesome. I told him I wanted the next one he posted but bought a Taylor Precision before he had a chance. Thanks and congrats

I am doing a stock from "Beever156" for my son right now. The fit is really good to the action. I pillar bedded it and now applying many coats of boiled linseed oil.
My son showed pics to a friend of his and asked me to do one for him. He wants to pay, but I have no idea what to charge him. How much do smiths charge for this work? I've re-finished a dozen stock for myself and my family members.

Mike

I'll get some pics up

I am doing a stock from "Beever156" for my son right now. The fit is really good to the action. I pillar bedded it and now applying many coats of boiled linseed oil.
My son showed pics to a friend of his and asked me to do one for him. He wants to pay, but I have no idea what to charge him. How much do smiths charge for this work? I've re-finished a dozen stock for myself and my family members.

Mike

I'll get some pics up
Just rubbing in oil? No sanding or inletting? I’d charge $50.

Sanding, minor inletting, pillars and epoxy bed. Then hand rubbing boiled linseed oil, multiple coatings. Not just rubbing in a couple coats of oil, sanding in each coat with 600g paper.

Mike

Sanding, minor inletting, pillars and epoxy bed. Then hand rubbing boiled linseed oil, multiple coatings. Not just rubbing in a couple coats of oil, sanding in each coat with 600g paper.

Mike
$350.00

Mike

I'll get some pics up
Track your time on the one you are doing. Charge accordingly.

That’s a nice piece of wood! I was looking at that guys stuff for a future build.

Currently working on a model 70 stock form a fleabay seller that wasn’t nearly as nice as this one you just showed

Very nice, great job .

Thanks, he is going to use it in our local "modern vintage sniper" matches.
I think I will do one for myself also.

Mike