• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1, did they tack weld the BDL box?

Dvando20

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Working on a M40A1 clone. Somebody mentioned that the armorers in Quantico would tack weld the BDL magazine box directly to the action. Is this true? If so, what locations around the box did they weld them? My action has the screw hole for the ADL retention screw, but I cannot find a BDL box with the tab on it to screw it on.

The BDL box does not have the tab for the screw. In the BDL, the box is retained/trapped between the action and bottom metal of the Remington BDL rifle. In a M40A1, the metal box is sometimes welded to the action instead as the Winchester bottom metal is not such that it can retain the mag box.

There are differing opinions as to whether or not all, or only some, of the M40A1's had welded boxes.

Yes. The build procedures called for it. To back Skunks comments, I can't say as they continued to do it throughout the course of their run as many variations in build have been noted. I reference crowns, lug taper, barrel length etc...

Reactions: bildoe308
gl

dt

Attachments

• Mag-Front.jpg
    Mag-Front.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Mag-Rear.jpg
    Mag-Rear.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 168
Reactions: mjh30
The BDL box does not have the tab for the screw. In the BDL, the box is retained/trapped between the action and bottom metal of the Remington BDL rifle. In a M40A1, the metal box is sometimes welded to the action instead as the Winchester bottom metal is not such that it can retain the mag box.

There are differing opinions as to whether or not all, or only some, of the M40A1's had welded boxes.
I understand how the regular BDL works, but the box still has a slight bit of slop up and down between the action and floor plate.

I have one that was built by Dave Clark back in 2016, and it has the welded bottom metal.

Frankly, tho, I think it's stupid. There's really no reason for it it seems to me unless you plan to disassemble the rifle in the middle of nowhere in the dark and are so inept that you might not be able to fit the bottom metal back in properly.

Also, I changed the stock on it and you have to gouge out any replacement stock for the weld blobs, or just grind them off and be done with them.
I was just looking into it for accurate build specs to clone an original.