• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1 or M40A3 or M40A5

Yep, my return stock had that already, but a pre-64 trigger guard and bottom mag plate is one of the key aspects of the M40A1 build.
On edit: added pic of M40A1 bottom metal.

Attachments

• M40A1-Bottom_metal.jpg
    M40A1-Bottom_metal.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Here’s the link to 35 pages on the M40A1 build thread, lots of reading...

Last edited:
I barrel and bed my own rifles. But i will look into having someone do the Work to the action for the base .

Ive always liked the looks and feel of the M40A1s so i will start there first. Thanks for all the replies. I love seeing the pictures. If you have any M40A1s post the pictures on here

Ive always liked the looks and feel of the M40A1s so i will start there first. Thanks for all the replies. I love seeing the pictures. If you have any M40A1s post the pictures on here
I have an A3 and an A5, guess what platform is my favorite? : )
DSC03671.JPG

If the scope on the top rifle looks a little strange, its a Redfield 3-9 made up to look like a Unertl for my .22lr.
DW

Reactions: ChanceDoane
If anyone wants a full spec M40A1 repro build with a (return?) smear stock, real Unertl USMC 10X, on a low serial number range 6-digit action: https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...-bolt-action-rifle-configured-as-a-usmc-m40a1

Check out the related items too. They also have a Remington SSA M40, an M24, and a Parker Hale M85 up for auction.

Y'all welcome. But say goodbye to your savings account balance.
I've always wanted to do an M24 build. I've had a couple customs done, but always ways wanted to do the original. So for me, I'd go original.

If anyone wants a full spec M40A1 repro build with a (return?) smear stock, real Unertl USMC 10X, on a low serial number range 6-digit action: https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...-bolt-action-rifle-configured-as-a-usmc-m40a1

Check out the related items too. They also have a Remington SSA M40, an M24, and a Parker Hale M85 up for auction.

Y'all welcome. But say goodbye to your savings account balance.
Thanks for that heads up. My dream rifle is on auction there, the M85! DAMMIT, I wished I saved some pennies!! :rolleyes: ...:cool:

@sirhrmechanic,
Did you see the Cyrus Alger & Co. 6 pounder? The rest of the 'heavy' hardware has a good history to itself as well!

Added II: Mountain Howitzer:

Last edited:
The more I look the more I think that m40a1 is a rifle Mike Lau built for me and I sold here on hide years ago. Only rifle I regret selling.

The more I look the more I think that m40a1 is a rifle Mike Lau built for me and I sold here on hide years ago. Only rifle I regret selling.
The one in the auction? I remember back when I was a younger and fell in love with the M40A1 before forums, social media, etc.. Mike Lau and Texas Brigade was like the only guy to build them...lol I use to just stare at the website and say someday...someday..😆 There was Iron brigade armory as well but dont think they did the A1 as spec. It was the Chandler rifle and a little different if I recall. And this was back in the 90's... websites were like one or two pages.

Yes, the one at auction.
I recall the same things you comment on about Mike , IBA and websites.
To me, the smear stocks have a special warmth.
I made a couple of outstanding (for me) running shots with mine. One o a deer a client wounded and one on a coyote. Both over 400 yards. Both going full speed. Loved that rifle. Sold it due to not being suppressor capable. Mistake!

Yes, the one at auction.
I recall the same things you comment on about Mike , IBA and websites.
To me, the smear stocks have a special warmth.
I made a couple of outstanding (for me) running shots with mine. One o a deer a client wounded and one on a coyote. Both over 400 yards. Both going full speed. Loved that rifle. Sold it due to not being suppressor capable. Mistake!

Yea.. the one I had 10 years ago was a smear but painted so I never really seen the pattern. Back then I wanted a forest because I like the look better but had the chance at smear and took it. I also made that mistake but sometimes things come full circle better then they were the first go around..lol I haven't posted pictures but Im very thankful to another hide member.

Reactions: D_TROS
I did find out recently thanks to a picture skunk posted that my original A1 serial number was in the range for a real deal usmc gun... I think. Its whereabouts are unknown. It has never popped up anywhere.