• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1 Pictures

You need to shoot F-Class and you'll see why. It's by far not the worst. But, then again, you'll see why it isn't the best...
I can understand shooting F-Class and benchrest. I own a Panda in a Palma rifle.
I was just saying that the Remington 700 worked well for the Marine snipers in Viet-Nam, Beirut, Middle East, etc. over many years.
It must have done something right if the Marine Corp., U.S. Army,and others used it with success over many years. Probably before many of us on this forum were born. Thats all I 'm saying. I don't see any reason to kick it, only because Remington is gone.

I can understand shooting F-Class and benchrest. I own a Panda in a Palma rifle.
I was just saying that the Remington 700 worked well for the Marine snipers in Viet-Nam, Beirut, Middle East, etc. over many years.
It must have done something right if the Marine Corp., U.S. Army,and others used it with success over many years. Probably before many of us on this forum were born. Thats all I 'm saying. I don't see any reason to kick it, only because Remington is gone.
I would only knock the continued use of the Unertl when better choices were available.

Guy with the rifle and the one behind the Marine on the right appear to be New Zealanders by their belt and hat badge. Wonder what the story is here.
FWIW - That looks like the 600y line at Quantico, but some time ago. The stone lane markers used to be put out when they had matches such as inter-service rifle (which they just finished last week for 2021); the stones were replaced by in-ground markers a while back. Makes sense though as Scout Sniper School is at Quantico.

Reactions: sandwarrior
Not all things are as they seem. Remington isn't gone. The reason the 700 was replaced, as I saw it, was two fold.

First, there's always a stupid mentality about sniping in the big Army/Navy/Marines. In that process, too many people who DON'T understand sniping get involved in logistics and acquisition. They think pew, pew, pew too much when they really need to think BANG! One time, or maybe two.

Then there's the supply. Scopes go down, they are hard to get replaced on the line. Rifles go down, same thing. "Do they really need this sniper ammo," said the newb in supply. "They'll be fine with M80," said the S4. Neither being fully aware of the needs of the snipers.

On the home commercial front, Remington isn't gone, but that bankruptcy shit did them a bad number. How they did the later M24/M2010 variants shot them in the ass too. They chose to use their own sub-par hammer forged barrels instead of the better custom barrels they won the contracts with. Overall sub-par work on building the last M24/M2010 variants. That combined with the pew, pew, pew thinking and no moving towards a better cartridge for sniping with (gov't side of that) and yeah, the 700 action is done.

Last edited:
Reactions: J-Ham and HogsLife
I'm not sure you understand the bankruptcy proceedings. It was a liquidation, not a reorganization.
I didn’t know they were divied up. I thought they got sold as in the past and continued to operate.
After looking at it, yeah, the firearms side isn’t running, and the ammo side was sold to and run by Vista Outdoors.

Not all things are as they seem. Remington isn't gone. The reason the 700 was replaced, as I saw it, was two fold.

First, there's always a stupid mentality about sniping in the big Army/Navy/Marines. In that process, too many people who DON'T understand sniping get involved in logistics and acquisition. They think pew, pew, pew too much when they really need to think BANG! One time, or maybe two.

Then there's the supply. Scopes go down, they are hard to get replaced on the line. Rifles go down, same thing. "Do they really need this sniper ammo," said the newb in supply. "They'll be fine with M80," said the S4. Neither being fully aware of the needs of the snipers.

On the home commercial front, Remington isn't gone, but that bankruptcy shit did them a bad number. How they did the later M24/M2010 variants shot them in the ass too. They chose to use their own sub-par hammer forged barrels instead of the better custom barrels they won the contracts with. Overall sub-par work on building the last M24/M2010 variants. That combined with the pew, pew, pew thinking and no moving towards a better cartridge for sniping with (gov't side of that) and yeah, the 700 action is done.
Can't say I'm really unhappy with my "sub-par" factory barrel on the M24R I have here. Shooting factory 2017 dated Mk316. 5rds/100m, bipod and rear bag.
shot_1554411078863.jpg
20190305_150339.jpg

Can't say I'm really unhappy with my "sub-par" factory barrel on the M24R I have here. Shooting factory 2017 dated Mk316. 5rds/100m, bipod and rear bag.
View attachment 7683704View attachment 7683705
What you need to do to see what Remington wasn't doing is shoot 10-15 five shot groups and let the barrel heat up. You'll see where Remington wasn't holding up to the custom barrel manufacturers.

I will say that towards the end, they've done a better job of normalizing (relieving stresses) the barrels. That was the whole complaint against them. And, why the M24/40 programs were taken away. Everybody sure as shit wants Rem. 700 actions to build on. Anyhow, I have a .22-250 HB that I took to an impromptu F-Class shoot among friends. It sure seemed like a lot of the bullets (20 in one string, 2 strings) were pretty much hitting almost 'same hole' @ 400 yds. There were some fliers, but they could be wind, the crappy scope I have on there, or possibly the Remington barrel curse.

Anyhow, as noted above, they are not producing firearms right now. Hopefully, that will change soon.

Reactions: HogsLife
I wonder who the officer is. He is, I'm certain, a US Navy Captain in some sort of staff corps specialty.

If I squint really hard the staff corps insignia on his right collar is that of a Christian chaplain.

Your correct it is a Chaplain more than likely it’s Graduation Day, and both the shooter/spotter are being blessed. I’ve seen a few CMDR’s and Lt.CMDR but not a Capt. so he’s been in for a looonnnggg time.

Yep sure is and in good shape for is age. Wish I looked half as good as he does. The camo utilities are a giveaway that he is attached too FMF.

Fox 2/5 had a Marine that made a promise to God while fighting at Tok Tong Pass....

"Get me through this shit and I will serve you"

He lived, became a Chaplain and served in Vietnam.

Wouldnt have messed with that dude....He is Gods buddy apparently with a direct line.

Guy with the rifle and the one behind the Marine on the right appear to be New Zealanders by their belt and hat badge. Wonder what the story is here.
A month or so late but they are not New Zealanders.

They are British Royal Marines. The one behind the rifle is at least a Major General as he's wearing the Gereral Officer's badge on his beret rather than the usual RM badge.

The Royal Marines stable belts and the shade of green of the beret are the biggest giveaways though.

Last edited:

They are British Royal Marines. The one behind the rifle is at least a Brigadier as he's wearing the Gereral Officer's badge on his beret rather than the usual RM badge.

The Royal Marines stable belts and the shade of green of the beret are the biggest giveaways though.
Good catch! I had to look it up. Apparently is the 3A dress uniform? I couldn't see the badge on the guy behind the rifle's beret, but I'll take your word for it.

Here's a shot of them being reviewed:
1629722188921.png

Reactions: Sniff

They are British Royal Marines. The one behind the rifle is at least a Brigadier as he's wearing the Gereral Officer's badge on his beret rather than the usual RM badge.

My bad, then. Not sure what pic I saw that made me think it was NZ fellows...

And here's what and where it is: https://nara.getarchive.net/media/t...es-lieutenant-general-lgen-sir-michael-1af390

"The commandant of the British Royal Marines, Lieutenant General (LGEN) Sir Michael Wilkins, KCB, OBE, takes aim with a Remington Model 700 sniper rifle while visiting the Weapons Training Battalion rifle range", at Quantico. Date's Sept 30, 1986.

I rather like this photo:
1629723800936.png

Good catch! I had to look it up. Apparently is the 3A dress uniform? I couldn't see the badge on the guy behind the rifle's beret, but I'll take your word for it.

Here's a shot of them being reviewed:
View attachment 7689707

Had a GF that worked at Brit Consulate in Boston.

Brits had a warship visit town during Tall Ships and we went to a party on board. Shook Prince Andrews hand before he got in his current mess and suffering his Fergie years.

Brit RM in attendance caught me off guard. Their dress greens are very much like USMC.....had to double take as first thought was he was USMC.

Interesting name for a belt as it rather looks like a saddle's girth.
That's because originally they were the surcingle for a horse, just strapped around the cavalryman's waist when grooming his mount. Then they found that shortened straps with different buckles made for good back-support belts on long marches, and then they started adopting them as purpose-made belts.

It was not a liquidation and they are producing rifles.
I read the court filings. I don't need someone to tell me what it was.

The fact that the Roundhill Group bought the Illion assets and might have restarted production changes nothing from the fact that Remington Outdoors was legally liquidated and sold off in pieces at auction.

Some of you people must have an 8th grade education......

Last edited:

The fact that the Roundhill Group bought the Illion assets and might have restarted production changes nothing from the fact that Remington Outdoors was legally liquidated and sold off in pieces at auction.

My oldest daughter was in 8th grade last year. I tell You what, I’d be proud to have an 8th grade education with the stuff they’re learning right now …(private school cUz they spend most their time in public school Counting jelly beans, teaching genders don’t exist, and that whities be the debil)

My oldest daughter was in 8th grade last year. I tell You what, I’d be proud to have an 8th grade education with the stuff they’re learning right now …(private school cUz they spend most their time in public school Counting jelly beans, teaching genders don’t exist, and that whities be the debil)

I should have lowered the threshold.......LOL

• Haha
Reactions: HogsLife

Like you?

• Haha
Reactions: SQ54 and HogsLife
Yeah, Roundhill says that they opened the Ilion plant last May and called back a few hundred employees but I have zero idea where they are at with restarting manf.

They SAY that they are all shooters and gun industry guys (supposedly unlike the Cerabus assholes who gutted the company and are committed to a return to quality AND that they are well funded without any debt.

I hope the last point is true as I think that some significant investment to replace worn out tooling/machines. More on News at 11 (haha)

Yeah, Roundhill says that they opened the Ilion plant last May and called back a few hundred employees but I have zero idea where they are at with restarting manf.

They SAY that they are all shooters and gun industry guys (supposedly unlike the Cerabus assholes who gutted the company and are committed to a return to quality AND that they are well funded without any debt.

I hope the last point is true as I think that some significant investment to replace worn out tooling/machines. More on News at 11 (haha)
Also, 870’s have gotten to dealers. The 700’s in that gunbroker ad looked pretty good. The 870’s that were seen (no pics) were graded about a C+ from what I read.

What about the South Carolina plant they built just a few years ago? Did that all get parted out?

What about the South Carolina plant they built just a few years ago? Did that all get parted out?
Can't find it now, but saw an article that Roundhill (new owners) plan to reopen all of the existing plants incl the one in Alabama....but take that with a grain of salt. Long road from reopening in NY to make 870's to reopening all facilities for all products, IMO.

Can't find it now, but saw an article that Roundhill (new owners) plan to reopen all of the existing plants incl the one in Alabama....but take that with a grain of salt. Long road from reopening in NY to make 870's to reopening all facilities for all products, IMO.
I think that they moved all the equipment from Alabama back to Ilion. Part of their deal with the court required them to continue the union contract(s).

Here is one report: https://www.wktv.com/content/news/R...wners-sign-letter-of-agreement-574123071.html

I think that they moved all the equipment from Alabama back to Ilion. Part of their deal with the court required them to continue the union contract(s).
Absolutely right....I can't find the citation where they listed the plants that they planned to reopen incl Alabama but just today, when looking for the other article, I did find articles saying that they were approved to pull the AL equip out and that they moved it to Ilion.

I still think their biggest challenge is producing quality firearms, which they say is their goal, with existing old tooling and equipment. Dunno about stuff from AL and elsewhere, but there is a reason why Rem 700 hammer forged barrels have been hit/more miss in recent times and I rather think old tooling/equip is part of it.

But yes, I have zero experience in firearm manf. :)

Absolutely right....I can't find the citation where they listed the plants that they planned to reopen incl Alabama but just today, when looking for the other article, I did find articles saying that they were approved to pull the AL equip out and that they moved it to Ilion.

I still think their biggest challenge is producing quality firearms, which they say is their goal, with existing old tooling and equipment. Dunno about stuff from AL and elsewhere, but there is a reason why Rem 700 hammer forged barrels have been hit/more miss in recent times and I rather think old tooling/equip is part of it.

But yes, I have zero experience in firearm manf. :)
They moved two production lines from Ilion to Huntsville prior and now they have moved them back.

FWIW, I’ve had/have numerous Remington barrels of recent manufacture and all will shoot less than MOA. Maybe I’m just lucky.

They moved two production lines from Ilion to Huntsville prior and now they have moved them back.

There's an extreme potential for shit parts out of those lines if the moves, and more importantly the process validation, isn't done correctly.

Is this the M40A1 PICTURE thread or bitch about Rem thread? Take it somewhere else.

Pic to stay on topic.

View attachment 7699260

My nephew needed a rifle for a deer hunt shot notice. Was cool to watch him get his first deer

Regards
DT
Nice of you to lend him a very fine looking rifle!!! Love that happy Hunter look!!!!!