• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

M98 Guild Rifle

medic1097

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
Florida, USA
I picked up a M98 guild rifle at a small gun show. I must say "you can't beat skilled old workmanship". I have seen very few for sale, in fact I never showed them much interest!

8mm Mauser round is a good bullet. The rifle is sound and clean, most of all very affordable.

If you get the chance look at the interesting history of the post WW1 rifles that were built as a means to support post war European gun makers. No two are alike, Pretty cool.

Re: M98 Guild Rifle

Friggin sweet isn't it? I have seen several personally and own one that was actually done on a 1903 Springfield for an AF Officer who spent his career there. I will try to post picks, but this thing is AMAZING, done somewhere in the 60's early 70's maybe. Double set trigger, French Walnut, etc. Will get a pic of this, I plan to hunt with it thie year, it even came with Hnezoldt Wetzlar scope. Enjoy!

I've always wanted a '98. My buddy had one - just a good shooter. It's amazing that such a classic design is as relevant today as it was back then.

look forward to seeing any pictures, have a scope to mount as well, so if you have an old M98 I would like to see my options.

Message me so I check back, thanks.

Yes, you are correct. Gunsmithing school in Germany/Austria is set up in series of apprenticeships with guilds. A lot of service rifles wound up going through guilds for training and the work is generally immaculate and ALL hand done in normal tradition.
For instance on my guild rifle, the barrel is original but they hand made the sights, and soldered them on, as well as the barrel mounted sling swivel. The checkering is probably 28 to 30 LPI and would give me a headache to attempt to layout, all handcut with uneven corners.

Ferlach, Austria primary guild gun makers, rebarrelled and reworked. Also built some fine double rifles and cape guns. I have a Josef Winkler 375 h&h dbl and 20ga over 6mm remigton made buy him as well as a Franz Sodia 16ga over 8x57JR (318 bullet) in cape guns as guild gun makers all done by skilled craftsmen of their day.

Anyone seen claw mounts around for sale? I was told there are over 25 adjustments needed to fit the claw mounts due to all the angles and surfaces.