• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Machining a BAT bolt .

Papagrizzly

USA F-Open Rifle Team
Minuteman
A fun project at work yesterday.

I like the feel of a large knob on my guns and Nesika makes a tactical knob that I really like. I generally soften the knurls and it remains attractive without the sharpness associated with the knurls.

This was great training on the CNC Mill for one of my new guys that is replacing a 22+ year employee.

<span style="font-size: 11pt">First, we whacked off the factory bolt knob.</span>
2dvub5v.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt">Next, the bolt was jigged up on the Grizzly CNC mill we have in our lab downstairs.</span>
x3eq6f.jpg

oq97pf.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt">Then, the initial diameter was milled using a 3/8" endmill.</span>
vfyqt0.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt">A chamfer cutter was used to put a slight chamfer on the tip so that when we go to screw in the knob, there is no resistance or binding.</span>
2wn7ady.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt">A threading bit is then used to cut the appropriate matching thread for the Nesika knob. I believe it was 12-24.

</span>
ne6tet.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt">The finished bolt. Delicious!!</span>
2nlcnkk.jpg

Re: Machining a BAT bolt .

SHOW OFF!

Gotta love thread milling!

Tell him to truncate the lead thread boss! It's even cooler that way and gets even more chicks!
smile.gif

Nice werkz!

C.

PS: I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who has a few of those knobs lying around.

I even have some "ultra rare" Scimitar knobs too. Just a couple though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
........gets even more chicks!
smile.gif

</div></div>

Chad, how rude...................................... that you did not tell me this before
smile.gif
smile.gif

You probably have seen hundreds, if not thousands, of those Nesika knobs in your past lifetime. Hey - we should talk about those ultra rare knobs you mention.

By the way, I left out one step. After we took the lip off the top (the bottom part of the cut-off BAT knob)and took the first reducing pass with the endmill, we used a probe to center the handle so it would not end up with an offset thread.

k21m5e.jpg

Thanks for the comments, guys. It is nice to go to work everyday and feel like you can build anything your heart desires.

Probe?

Dern you man! I'd love to have a Renshaw.

I'm stuck with edge finders, coaxials, and the good ol indicol for now.

I'm also lazy. Rather than hacksaw the bugger off I'd of used a corn cobber and helical bored the bugger. That or a carb slitting saw.

Nice job for sure though!

C.

I only have one/two of those knobs. I made the first couple for the Scimitar guns I did for G.W. Bush (presentation rifle given to "the big guy" by King Abdullah II of Jordan back in 2004)

"Lets Roll" is engraved on the flat. Be neat to see that rifle again someday.

Back to writing quotes. . .

BTW, we ran about 250 pillars today. Chewin through that stuff perty quick now.

Chad, any chance of seeing a picture of that rifle? I'm sure it's a work of art.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I made the first couple for the Scimitar guns I did for G.W. Bush (presentation rifle given to "the big guy" by King Abdullah II of Jordan back in 2004)
</div></div>
what would be really nice if you can get a picture of the rifle with Queen Rania holding it
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagrizzly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A fun project at work yesterday.

I like the feel of a large knob on my guns and Nesika makes a tactical knob that I really like. I generally soften the knurls and it remains attractive without the sharpness associated with the knurls.

This was great training on the CNC Mill for one of my new guys that is replacing a 22+ year employee.

<span style="font-size: 11pt">First, we whacked off the factory bolt knob.</span>
2dvub5v.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt">Next, the bolt was jigged up on the Grizzly CNC mill we have in our lab downstairs.</span>
x3eq6f.jpg

oq97pf.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt">Then, the initial diameter was milled using a 3/8" endmill.</span>
vfyqt0.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt">A chamfer cutter was used to put a slight chamfer on the tip so that when we go to screw in the knob, there is no resistance or binding.</span>
2wn7ady.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt">A threading bit is then used to cut the appropriate matching thread for the Nesika knob. I believe it was 12-24.

</span>
ne6tet.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt">The finished bolt. Delicious!!</span>
2nlcnkk.jpg
</div></div>

One of the nicer shaped knobs I've seen!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad, any chance of seeing a picture of that rifle? I'm sure it's a work of art. </div></div>

Unfortunately I only have one chitty photo of that gun. I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere.

C.

Shiraz,

Next time your coolant shopping take a look at CimCO 320.

If you give them a call they'll send a free sample to try out. Be sure to ask for the sanitizer too. Great stuff for killing off the bugs in the sump.

It runs around $150.00/5 gallons but MAN is it worth it. It's chloride free and certified for aerospace/medical components manufacturing. Stuff doesn't rust, stain your clothes, or stink like a foot after a week. Run it at 7% as there is a 1.5 correction factor when using a std refractometer for coolant concentration checks.

Colorless in the sump. Nice clean smell too.

Tooling life increased as well for us.

C.

Nice work but I have to ding you on the bandsaw safety. Had a friend sever 50% of his wrist on a band saw "doing a quick job".

Nice!

Damn, first I see you around the woodworking forums. Then I buy an <span style="text-decoration: line-through">aircraft carrier</span> jointer from you guys. Then I see you around the gun forums. Now I'm planning to buy a bandsaw (wood) and a lathe (metal) from you guys. Who's stalking whom here?
grin.gif
If I see you on corner-carvers, I'm calling the cops...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voytek Jarnot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice!

Damn, first I see you around the woodworking forums. Then I buy an <span style="text-decoration: line-through">aircraft carrier</span> jointer from you guys. Then I see you around the gun forums. Now I'm planning to buy a bandsaw (wood) and a lathe (metal) from you guys. Who's stalking whom here?
grin.gif
If I see you on corner-carvers, I'm calling the cops... </div></div>

I'll have to look up corner carvers now!
laugh.gif

CS223 - I'm the guy behind the camera, and the guy cutting is the 22+ year employee. One thing I have learned is not to disturb or distract an experienced person while they are cutting. I agree with you on safety. I love my digits, specially my trigger finger!