• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Macmillian Bros tac .338 good choice?

hardz88

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Australia
I have been considering buying a 338 Lapua Mag for some time. I am looking for some feed back on the Macmillan Bros Tac series from anyone who owns or have shot this rifle. I am prepared to spend up to $7000 on the boom stick itself and was wondering if there are any other rifles out there that warrant investigation.
Cheers

Re: Macmillian Bros tac .338 good choice?

The Mac Bros 338 is a great rifle. I have never owned one, but did shoot one about a year ago and it ran very well.

I ended up buying a Surgeon with XL Action, krieger barrel, and AI cip stock. I personally like it better than the Mac Bros that I shot and it was cheaper.

Good weapon system. If you're dropping $7000, you're probably getting the entire package. Can't go wrong with McMillan.

Other options are to spec a rifle & find a builder to put it together. After spending on all the pieces, and to pay to have it built, it'll be a little cheaper, but I don't think too much so.

rasheed

There's a couple builders on this forum that advertise they'll build you one for around 3-5000. Might want to look into that too, also could go AICS if I'm not mistaken, or AR-30 (mine shoots pretty good), or a TRG.

Cheers for the advice guys, now just cant wait to get it and shoot it.

mcmillan should stic to building stocks , buy a ga precision, 816 221 1844 ask for ken .Have a friend that has .338 lapua gap ,consistantly shoots quarter moa.My 7wsm shoots consistant 5/16 at 100yds and less than 1/2 moa to 1400 yds. ga precision rifles rule!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brichardson82</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> mcmillan should stic to building stocks , buy a ga precision, 816 221 1844 ask for ken .Have a friend that has .338 lapua gap ,consistantly shoots quarter moa.My 7wsm shoots consistant 5/16 at 100yds and less than 1/2 moa to 1400 yds. ga precision rifles rule! </div></div>

Have you ever handled a McM Rifle?

I have both the GAP and MCM. Both are very very nice rifles and equally as accurate.

Specked the same the GAP will only be a few hundred less than the McM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brichardson82</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> mcmillan should stic to building stocks , buy a ga precision, 816 221 1844 ask for ken .Have a friend that has .338 lapua gap ,consistantly shoots quarter moa.My 7wsm shoots consistant 5/16 at 100yds and less than 1/2 moa to 1400 yds. ga precision rifles rule! </div></div>

If it shoots consistent 1/2 minute of ange at 1400 yards then you need to sign it up for every local 1000 yard bencrest match you can make! You should be taking hime a lot of trophies or prize money!

What are you basing your McMilan comment on; prior ownership or internet commando reports?

If you are going to throw somebody under the bus that hard, we would all be interested to know what the backround is!

Brian

I vote buy the Surgeon Remedy and have money left over for glass.
MacMillans are over-priced.....

M14, Everything is overpriced but its part of playing the game..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onlyfineknives</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Mac Bros 338 is a great rifle. I have never owned one, but did shoot one about a year ago and it ran very well.

I ended up buying a Surgeon with XL Action, krieger barrel, and AI cip stock. I personally like it better than the Mac Bros that I shot and it was cheaper.
</div></div>
Yep. The McMillan is nice, but I'd have Mike Rescigno at Tac Ops build the .338LM on a Surgeon action with a Krieger barrel. You can contact Tac Ops at (310) 275-8797.

Keith

Stick with the Rolex of Rifles.... AIAW .338LM

image9_lrg.png

Thats a pretty narrow minded and ignorant comment. Stick to building stocks? I am sure alot of boys overseas who have used the Tac 50 with great success would beg to differ. Our agency employs a Tac 50 as well and I for one am also glad that McMillan didn't stick to making just stocks. McMillan has been in the business longer than any of these other companies and have the reputation to prove it. There alot of reputable companies, GA Precision included that make fine rifles. What are you basing your wealth of knowledge on I would like to know. Consistently half moa at 1400 yards, I call bullshit on that but of course everyone on the internet shoots tiny groups till you actually see them shoot and those consistent small groups tend to disappear and the excuses come out. You should start competing and cleaning up.

I spoke with a riflemaker who will remain unnamed that spoke with the same narrow minded statements. If you don't care for a company then leave it at that but don't try to put others down to build up your own personal preferance.

I think there are better value for money options in 338LM than the McMillan 338LM rifle , I have handled this rifle , and its well made & smooth , but at this price , my money goes else where .

The Mcmillan actions are basically Rem700 variants in 308 , 300 & 338 cals , nothing wrong with that , but its not leading edge stuff any more , not when you have AIs & Sakos with better feature sets .

The 50 bmg is different as most makers donot make a action in this cal , I feel of all the McMillan rifles , the 50 is the only one that I would look seriously at buying .

just find the lesser cal McMs to be over priced for the things they bring to the table , the world has turned .

AT the low end , the Sako TRG-42 is almost impossible to beat , at the high end , AI AXs & Twolfs , and in between , you have custom built guns , ie Surgeon & Badger actions etc .

Later Chris

The guy at sniper central did a review on the Tac 308 and Tac 338 and was very impressed with the 338, more so than the 308. He said the actions are very nice and all of the 5 shot groups( 5 of them) were under .5 moa at 100yd.

What about a Desert Tactical? Are they worth throwing into the debate? No experience with them, just saw their booth at SHOT and have heard good things.

probably not the best first post for you to make. granted there are a lot of GAP fans on this site, i dont think many who have ever handled a McM rifle will agree with you. have you ever held a raw McM action? that thing is a work of art. some might say overpriced, but will not bash quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
AT the low end , the Sako TRG-42 is almost impossible to beat ,

Later Chris </div></div>

damn right

mcmillan has made some serious changes over the past few years in the machining process and stress relieving the material and refined the process and are making a whole lot better product these days than they were a few years ago. they are made out of a 17-4 ph solid barstock which it tough material! they are very well made and i would not hesitate in buying one. i tried and tried for a long time to get my hands on one when i worked for the company that manufactured there acions and a few other of their rifle parts.

I just picked up my new 338 lm on Thursday. It is a GAP built rifle with a mcmillan A5 fully adjustable stock,surgeon xl action,jewell trigger,surefire brake and a fluted bartlein barrel with a 1-9.5 twist. The fit and finish is perfect and it was 4750.00 so u would have money for some nice glass. I'm pretty sure they have a couple 338 lapua ready to ship if u hurry. Good luck witch ever way u go.

I have to agree Mac's are a work of art, I have 2 50's and sold a 308. I will not say the are better than a GAP. I would be very proud to have a GAP, first class all the way. Like anything else you get what you pay for. It's like a Freedom Arms 454 or a Ruger. I am not slaming a ruger, but there is a huge difference...Enjoy the Gap Its the Cream at the top!!!!. I am gonna have a GAP AR10 in 260...