• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Made the HAM radio step

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
Well I’ve been wanting to venture into comms equipment for a while now. Finally made the first step. Got my HAM radio test book, UV-5R + and mic attachment that will connect with my helmet.

I’m just barely getting to know the functions of the radio to scan, change bands and listen to traffic. I was able to listen to some older fellows have a home maintenance conversation from a tower that was over 30 miles away on VHF. Pretty cool for a little radio.

586AEFEC-8DDE-4B50-8DA7-857E424AA069.jpeg

Good luck on earning your Technician Class ticket. You're lucky you don't have to pass Morse code. I had to pass the 13 wpm Morse code back in the days to earn my General Class. After the FCC dropped the 20 wpm requirement, I went and got my Extra class. Now there's no Morse code requirement for any class.

I was on HF today and made contacts to British Columbia, Spain, Cuba, Louisiana, Georgia, Texas, Massachusetts, Kansas, Iowa, Tennessee, Oregon with my wire dipole antenna on 100 watts.

Good luck, it's not as hard as most make it out to be. Like gun junk, radio can be expensive depending the level you want to play on an your ability's. However much like gun stuff once you start repairing/building your own stuff, it gets much cheaper. That little radio you have will do many things for you, just remember it's never about power as a good array an location (antenna) will trump TX power output every time. If your looking to get in for reasons that many do these days, build your digital answering service as quick as you can.

If your looking to get in for reasons that many do these days, build your digital answering service as quick as you can.

Digital answering service?

Digital answering service?
Yes, you can capture an store all messages on a freq in the emission mode you have selected, w/o being at the radio 24/7. Easy to do all it takes past the radio is a sound card between the radio an a computer with the correct program running, even if it's in sleep mode. Most of the time I have 3 programs up an running, two digital an one for SSTV for photos ect,(SSTV = slow scan TV) . When checking back later in time frame if anything has been sent it will be there to see, respond to or act upon. You can also set up an automated response to the sender, plus an alert to you if you think all the gear thru.

Gunfighter, have you played with JS8call yet ? I've been running it for a few months with great success. All the messaging, relay, and automatic reply features you could want, in addition to robust weak signal capabilities.