• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

magnification whores, check this out

Well, just got back from the range and here is my impression after a side by side comparison of the new SVIII to NF 7-35x56, K624i and a Minox ZP5...
Thanks for getting back here so soon. What you're seeing is about how I would have predicted the Sightron would perform in that sort of comparison; maybe even a bit better than expected. It looks like they were aiming directly at the ATACR 7-35 when they designed this scope, which is a pretty darned ambitious goal for a scope maker that's only recently decided to get serious about tactical optics. It'll be interesting to see how they perform in competition.

Reactions: Tony6БР
Thanks for getting back here so soon. What you're seeing is about how I would have predicted the Sightron would perform in that sort of comparison; maybe even a bit better than expected. It looks like they were aiming directly at the ATACR 7-35 when they designed this scope, which is a pretty darned ambitious goal for a scope maker that's only recently decided to get serious about tactical optics. It'll be interesting to see how they perform in competition.
I thought the same and I feel like they have done very well! ATACR 7-35 is probably the most popular choice in PRS and ELR alike. Well, in my opinion Sightron has gone for the same market and made an even more versatile scope considering it has more elevation, wider mag range, higher magnification and a finer reticle. I’m sure that there are things in which NF outperforms SVIII. I have no doubt that NF is more robust and better suited as a tactical scope, but that’s not what most of us recreational/competitive shooters are interested in.
Now if Sightron would just tighten up those turrets!

Last edited:
Reactions: rhsc
Interesting and disappointing since that's typically been not an issue on sightrons, at least in my recollection. Thanks again for sharing.

Reactions: Tony6БР
Here’s a video. The windage turret feels much better and has less play for some reason.
The turrets on my SV 4.5-24x56 have a small amount of play (probably not as much as what you're showing) but the clicks are still loud and distinct. I just assumed that it was a consequence of the pull/push locking mechanism. The 5-40 doesn't have locking turrets though, does it?

Reactions: archangel485
Oh man, that's too bad, I kind of liked those locking turrets.

Does anyone know why they discontinued the 4.5-24?
I'm guessing that it's because the magnification range of this new model and the 4.5-24 overlap so much that they're beginning to duplicate their functionality, especially if they were to update the feature set of the 4.5-24 to bring it in line with the 5-40. Fewer SKUs is often a good thing for a manufacturer. If they didn't update the 4.5-24 features, then they really couldn't expect them to sell very well in the shadow of the new 5-40. Overall, it looks like they decided to re-evaluate everything about the 4.5-24 and the 5-40 is what they came up with to replace it.

Now, having said all that, watch Sightron re-introduce an improved, updated 4.5-24 next year. It would serve me right. ;)

I'm guessing that it's because the magnification range of this new model and the 4.5-24 overlap so much that they're beginning to duplicate their functionality, especially if they were to update the feature set of the 4.5-24 to bring it in line with the 5-40. Fewer SKUs is often a good thing for a manufacturer. If they didn't update the 4.5-24 features, then they really couldn't expect them to sell very well in the shadow of the new 5-40. Overall, it looks like they decided to re-evaluate everything about the 4.5-24 and the 5-40 is what they came up with to replace it.

Now, having said all that, watch Sightron re-introduce an improved, updated 4.5-24 next year. It would serve me right. ;)
Fair enough, all that makes sense, the 5-40 has more mag range, more elevation adjustment, and offers a non-tree reticle option, I can't think of anything else improved from the 4.5-24. It seems like the 4.5-24 at a lower price point would still have a market, but perhaps they can't make it enough lower than the S8 in price to appeal to anyone.

Reactions: rhsc
Was contacted by a Sightron rep today because of my review on here and asked to send the scope in for warranty because of the turrets. He said it’s not normal for these turrets to have this much “slop/mushiness” which is great to hear! It’s also nice to know that Sightron is actively listening to us consumers and taking feedback. I’m sure it’s gonna serve them well!
I will post the update on turrets when I get the scope back.

Was contacted by a Sightron rep today because of my review on here and asked to send the scope in for warranty because of the turrets. He said it’s not normal for these turrets to have this much “slop/mushiness” which is great to hear! It’s also nice to know that Sightron is actively listening to us consumers and taking feedback. I’m sure it’s gonna serve them well!
I will post the update on turrets when I get the scope back.
Awesome. IMO, Sightron has always had good customer service, will be interesting to see when you get a fixed and/or new one.

Well, I received a replacement scope today. They said there was something wrong with a detent in the elevation turret on the original scope and they have to send it to Japan for repair.
The new scopes turret is noticeably better! I’d say it has half as much slop, but still there is some. It is also possible that the slop is exaggerated because the turrets are so large and longer radius produces longer “slop travel”. Overall I’m still happy with the scope as it excels in every other way and I have never missed a shot because of a little slop in a turret.

Last edited:
Definitely looking forward to other reviews, when it becomes available

They are apparently now available, but haven’t been out long enough to garner any serious reviews yet. That will likely be after a couple few months when people have a chance to wring them out alongside other high power scopes.

They are apparently now available, but haven’t been out long enough to garner any serious reviews yet. That will likely be after a couple few months when people have a chance to wring them out alongside other high power scopes.
I'm watching for sure. Love my XRS II at 30x and with 34mils elevation, but still have to hold ~ 2mils elevation at 2k. This would be pretty sweet picking up 10x more. Unsure about finding a base for it though. Have used the XTR Signature Rings for several years been great, but not thinking they have 40mm versions. Thoughs lash? The XRS III looks outstanding too, but I don't want to give up 5mils elevation to grab 6x more mag so going to pump that brakes on the III.

Last edited:
They have reduced the price to 1999, which might make it even more enticing.
I'm definitely not one to be the guinea pig on new releases, but if after reading some good widespread reviews after it's been in the consumers hands for some time this glass could be coming my way....thanks for posting.

Reactions: lash
I'm definitely not one to be the guinea pig on new releases, but after reading some good widespread reviews this glass could be coming my way....thanks for posting.
Check libertyoptics better price there then anywhere else. You will be shocked at price

Last edited:
40x mag and parallax adjust to 10 yards? You just know someone is going to put this on their 22lr. And, then the zero stop will totally make sense...

See post #23... :LOL: I have a dope from 10 to 55 yards and am 3 clicks shy of a full turret rotation. Zero stop saved my ass in competition!

No serious reviews? Thanks lol

Reactions: D_TROS
I bought a few scopes based on "serious reviews" and sent a few back. While a lot is indeed subjective, I have a feeling that the more "serious" the review, the more biased it can be. I'll take a few random guys here with some established credibility before a sponsored/published review any day.

Wonder how it compares with the newly released XRS3

Wonder how it compares with the newly released XRS3
We just got the scope and I looked threw it at 1 mile to compare to my bushnell xrs3. The sightron isn't mounted yet but I have to say I'm very impressed with the glass wow. I think it's better than the xrs3 brighter just a really nice view. The scope is huge though we're the bushnell isn't near as big and heavy. It has me thinking to sell and buy the sightron haha 😄 the rings seem good quilty and heavy. Just have to see how they hold up

We just got the scope and I looked threw it at 1 mile to compare to my bushnell xrs3. The sightron isn't mounted yet but I have to say I'm very impressed with the glass wow. I think it's better than the xrs3 brighter just a really nice view. The scope is huge though we're the bushnell isn't near as big and heavy. It has me thinking to sell and buy the sightron haha 😄 the rings seem good quilty and heavy. Just have to see how they hold up
I look forward to reading your review after putting it through the paces. I have the XRS2 with H59 and I absolutely love it. I have to say though if I could get rid of a Christmas tree reticle, better glass overall....i like. Someone may have covered it already but since I haven't read the entire thread are these guys good to go on warranty support?

I look forward to reading your review after putting it through the paces. I have the XRS2 with H59 and I absolutely love it. I have to say though if I could get rid of a Christmas tree reticle, better glass overall....i like. Someone may have covered it already but since I haven't read the entire thread are these guys good to go on warranty support?
Yes for long range I hate the Christmas tree reticles now. Bushnell g4 is actually really nice but this sightron is awesome simple reticle and 40 mil of elevation.

My first long range scope was a Sightron SIII that I used in field and range competitions for two years until I bought something with a zero stop to replace it. I never wanted/needed better glass.

Fast forward a few years and I put it on my .338 LM using an ADM vertical split ring mount. Well, that damaged the elevation adjustment somehow, so I contacted Sightron customer service. They had me send it in for a checkup. When I got it back two weeks later to the day I sent it in, it was completely refurbished and even included a new set of lense caps. It was the same scope but could easily pass for new. No charge. That’s my experience with their customer service.

My first long range scope was a Sightron SIII that I used in field and range competitions for two years until I bought something with a zero stop to replace it. I never wanted/needed better glass.

Fast forward a few years and I put it on my .338 LM using an ADM vertical split ring mount. Well, that damaged the elevation adjustment somehow, so I contacted Sightron customer service. They had me send it in for a checkup. When I got it back two weeks later to the day I sent it in, it was completely refurbished and even included a new set of lense caps. It was the same scope but could easily pass for new. No charge. That’s my experience with their customer service.
I really like the XRS3 From what I read, but I'm giving Up 5 mils elevation so it's a nonstarter. This Sightron really could be a great fit...Glad you had such a great experience with them. you thinking about one of these?

If I had the money, I would buy both the XRS3 and the Sightron. Each for their own specific purpose. As much as I like the XRS for my uses, I suspect that this Sightron will meet your needs better. I know what type of shooting you do and there’s no doubt in my mind that this will blow you away.

So in answer, yes I am thinking about this, too. Since I don’t have the cabbage for either right now, I’ll let this decision ferment for a bit and decide down the road.

American rifle company makes 40mm rings and mounts a little more $$$$$ but this one is for my dad I'm sure I will shoot it and play with it more but that crazy good sale ends first of the year.

If I had the money, I would buy both the XRS3 and the Sightron. Each for their own specific purpose. As much as I like the XRS for my uses, I suspect that this Sightron will meet your needs better. I know what type of shooting you do and there’s no doubt in my mind that this will blow you away.

So in answer, yes I am thinking about this, too. Since I don’t have the cabbage for either right now, I’ll let this decision ferment for a bit and decide down the road.
Ok thanks Mike I appreciate that b/c glass research.....I barely have training wheels and don't keep up on all this. On the outside it seems like a perfect fit for what I like doing. Have you looked through an XRS II either MIke's or mine? Would you think the Sightron is just flat out better glass? And I hear you on scratch I've been spending a lot replenishing reloading components lately. I'm not in any hurry my Bushy and I like each other, but if I could fully dial to 2k and dump the tree reticle busyness.....oooh. Me like.

Ok thanks Mike I appreciate that b/c glass research.....I barely have training wheels and don't keep up on all this. On the outside it seems like a perfect fit for what I like doing. Have you looked through an XRS II either MIke's or mine? Would you think the Sightron is just flat out better glass? And I hear you on scratch I've been spending a lot replenishing reloading components lately. I'm not in any hurry my Bushy and I like each other, but if I could fully dial to 2k and dump the tree reticle busyness.....oooh. Me like.
What type of shooting do you do?

I bought a few scopes based on "serious reviews" and sent a few back. While a lot is indeed subjective, I have a feeling that the more "serious" the review, the more biased it can be. I'll take a few random guys here with some established credibility before a sponsored/published review any day.
This scope is very impressive glass wise one look and I was sad about my xrs3 haha

What type of shooting do you do?

Dan is a long range bench shooter.
He's been concentrating shooting to mostly 1 mile and beyond with the 6.5 Creed and doing a great job.

Dan if you want my opinion, I'd say the Sightron would be the ticket for you since position shooting is a no-go.
Sightron glass is usually really nice and like Lash pointed out, their warranty is really good.
I bought two of their scopes used and didn't bat an eye about warranty coverage.

Reactions: lash and Schw15
Dan is a long range bench shooter.
He's been concentrating shooting to mostly 1 mile and beyond with the 6.5 Creed and doing a great job.

Dan if you want my opinion, I'd say the Sightron would be the ticket for you since position shooting is a no-go.
Sightron glass is usually really nice and like Lash pointed out, their warranty is really good.
I bought two of their scopes used and didn't bat an eye about warranty coverage.
Nice that's pretty much what me and my dad do shooting to 1 mile and able to shoot to 2100 yards. We have benches at range or can lay down. But no prs or anything crazy for me just for fun. One day maybe do a nlr hunter comp or the nightforce steel one