• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Magpul art of the precision rifle full trailer

Re: Magpul art of the precision rifle full trailer

got my copy the other day. watched the first two discs it did become a Horus software/ PDA info-mercial all that aside was fun to watch and made me feel more comfortable with quick detach rings. does anyone have any idea who that Todd guy is what are his credentials? other than a badass.

I keep staring at that awesome goatee wishing my wife and my Dept would allow me to attempt that.

I am on disc two and have been enjoying the content. The production value is great. The reticle overlays on the targets when they call out shots are cool. Wish we could shoot out here with cans. Would be nice to not have to wear ear pro.

Mulehunter, the wind calculation for Minutes of Angle scopes is super simple if you use a 308 shooting the 175 Matchking, which is why it is so good to teach people to accurately read the wind at known yardages.

10 mph wind value is
1 moa at 100 yards
2 moa at 200 yards
3 moa at 300 yards
etc.

His method simply converts that number to mils and meters and has some slop error in but is good enough for quick field work.
For example;
4 mph wind value at 800 meters = .9 mil correction
extrapolating to a 10 mph wind value would give a 2.25 mil correction (.9 x 10/4)
800 meters is 880 yards so using the normal moa calculation gives;
8.8 moa correction for a 10 mph wind value at 880 yards
8.8 moa = 2.55 mils

so the two are within 1/4 mil, plenty good for field work.
If you actually take the time to plug the numbers into a computer program you get a number somewhere between the two estimates so either are usable.

Personally I don't care for his method because nobody I know utilizes meters to measuer distances but it does work for mil reticles better than trying to convert back and forth between MOA and MILS, something that absolutely sucks.

I use a scope that has mil/mil adjustments and have a chart taped onto the forearm of my rifle that lists the wind correction for a 10 mph value wind along side the elevation adjustments in 50 yard increments. It makse things reasonable to judge wind value between the listed yardages.

The part that takes lots of skill and judgement and nail biting is trying to figure the average wind value to plug into either of the formulas.

I've seen Todd on the military channel's "Top Sniper" during the competition he explains milling a target and so on.

Is there no Mil wind formula?

Okay, they are telling Travis 29 mils of hold for a 1760 yard shot shooting a .308 w/ 18inch barrel. That's a 2900 FPS! What the shit is he shooting out of that thing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, they are telling Travis 29 mils of hold for a 1760 yard shot shooting a .308 w/ 18inch barrel. That's a 2900 FPS! What the shit is he shooting out of that thing? </div></div>

8500asl and 2550fps would be about right. +/- a few tenths for temp.

But still, I have to one plus the following;
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good shooting is all about consistency, if you can't consistently count on the hit, or consistently repeat the hit, its not good shooting. It's getting lucky. With enough lead downrange anyone can get lucky. When you go beyond supersonic like that you loose consistency, you're basically betting on where the bullet will fall out of the sky. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't really see a "BIO" on Todd online but the USMC sure like him.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,161182,00.html</div></div>

There is no "bio" because "salesman" isn't very impressive. He works for Horus, 'selling the products" and part of working their sales is to instruct people on its use, of which has done an excellent job of parlaying that into a reputation, creating a brand around himself.

He is a very good shot, no question there, came on the scene around 2003 from Cowboy Action Shooting as Handle Bar Doc, but his formal training was like a single Rifles Only PR 1&2 back in the day around 2003 or 04, something like that. Which is where he picked up the Horus gig after they dropped it. He shot a handful of local Texas Competitions, I think he won a Tac Pro match, but otherwise he is just a guy that works for a company with deep pockets and has done very well for himself props for his hustle. Through Horus they put him in an excellent position to work with the military. No denying he can sell, Horus, LT and himself.

Yeah the SF are sold on Horus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, they are telling Travis 29 mils of hold for a 1760 yard shot shooting a .308 w/ 18inch barrel. That's a 2900 FPS! What the shit is he shooting out of that thing? </div></div>

I talked to both of the MagPul guys at the Bash, they said that was shot outside of Amarillo, the airport is 3600 feet above sea level, so that helped

Then that is a very fast barrel on a hot day, but its possible I suppose.

Why don't you just go to Brownells and order one instead of coming here to ask for a pirated version?
Its not that expensive...

Speaks well of training at Rifles Only doesn't it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorwegianViking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can someone post a torrent of this movie? perhaps someone who knows about a torrent?</div></div>
That's whats wrong with the world today everybody wants something for nothing. Pony up $60 bucks like everybody else and help the people who pump out american merchandise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drb5r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's whats wrong with the world today everybody wants something for nothing. Pony up $60 bucks like everybody else and help the people who pump out american merchandise.</div></div>

Yup everyone nowadays thinks everyone owe's them something. Don't know what the hell happen to the american history of making your own way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drb5r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's whats wrong with the world today everybody wants something for nothing. Pony up $60 bucks like everybody else and help the people who pump out american merchandise.</div></div>

Yup everyone nowadays thinks everyone owe's them something. Don't know what the hell happen to the american history of making your own way. </div></div>

The person who wanted the pirated copy doesn't seem to be American, judging by his location in his profile.

My mistake didn't notice.

I bought 4 sets of the PRS video's 1 for myself and 3 for Christmas presents, everyone need a little comic relief now and then.
grin.gif

For those of you who live in the United States, it is not expensive! But this film is not on the market in Norway(Expensive country in Europe)! If it comes here, it will be so expensive! (about 130 + $)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorwegianViking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you who live in the United States, it is not expensive! But this film is not on the market in Norway! If it comes here, it will be so expensive! (about 130 + $)</div></div>

I'll tell you what, buddy. If you really want it that bad, I will purchase a copy and will send it to you for what I paid including shipping, which will be about $70USD. Send me a private message if you're interested in doing that.

That guy w/ the 300 win mag missed by 1.5 mils and he said it was cant. 784 meters is what I think they were shooting at. That seems pretty wild.

I've always wondered what effect cant would have at longer distance. But 1.5mils sounds a bit drastic to blame on cant

He seems to be the only one w/ a normal bbl as well. ( I'm only watching disk 2) Everyone else looks to have 18inch bbls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorwegianViking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you who live in the United States, it is not expensive! But this film is not on the market in Norway! If it comes here, it will be so expensive! (about 130 + $)</div></div>

I'll tell you what, buddy. If you really want it that bad, I will purchase a copy and will send it to you for what I paid including shipping, which will be about $70USD. Send me a private message if you're interested in doing that. </div></div>

"This training video is subject to the arms export control act (22 U.S.C 7728) and the International Traffic In Arms Regulations (22 C.F.R Parts 120-130). A prior authorization or license from the U.S. State Department Direclotorate of Defense Trade Controls is required for the export, re-export or re-transfer of the training video to any foreign person whether in the united states or abroad."

Might not be a good idea based on this. But you get to keep the points for the gesture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorwegianViking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you who live in the United States, it is not expensive! But this film is not on the market in Norway! If it comes here, it will be so expensive! (about 130 + $)</div></div>

I'll tell you what, buddy. If you really want it that bad, I will purchase a copy and will send it to you for what I paid including shipping, which will be about $70USD. Send me a private message if you're interested in doing that. </div></div>

"This training video is subject to the arms export control act (22 U.S.C 7728) and the International Traffic In Arms Regulations (22 C.F.R Parts 120-130). A prior authorization or license from the U.S. State Department Direclotorate of Defense Trade Controls is required for the export, re-export or re-transfer of the training video to any foreign person whether in the united states or abroad."

Might not be a good idea based on this. But you get to keep the points for the gesture.</div></div>

Oooooh...ha ha...I was wondering if there might be some law against sending training videos over the pond. Thanks for the heads up!

Since it says its a federal offense to upload any portion to the internet.... Are they guilty because they posted the trailer online?

That just strikes me as funny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always wondered what effect cant would have at longer distance. But 1.5mils sounds a bit drastic to blame on cant </div></div>

I leveled my scope and shot a group at 1000, 10 shots, with my 308 and at some point I "canted" a few shots and it made my group enormous, but I was still on my 1 mil plate. It wasn’t much of a cant, but enough to make a difference.

1.5 mils off target is a lot at 780y but on uneven ground in a new environment I wouldn’t say it is impossible, especially with the stress of a film crew present and you are playing the part of an "experienced" shooter. But hey, it did give them an opportunity to talk about cant indicators and a special one they developed for special night operators...
shocked.gif

It was everything i expected. There wasn't any 'Oh my god thats so helpful' moments, but i wasn't really expecting any either. Maybe i had lower expectations than you guys cause i found it entertaining
smile.gif
And i picked up 1 or 2 things to try out next time im out shooting.

I liked his idea of "if your not sure, get out there and test it!" approach. He seemed like a real nice down to earth kinda guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Might not be a good idea based on this. But you get to keep the points for the gesture. </div></div>

It says that on the Magpul site but according to the legal dept at Brownells its unregulated.
I ordered one and that item was the only one the US State apparently didnt care about

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorwegianViking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you who live in the United States, it is not expensive! But this film is not on the market in Norway(Expensive country in Europe)! If it comes here, it will be so expensive! (about 130 + $) </div></div>

You can buy it now on Brownells for 60 plus shipping.
And shipping a dvd isn't that expensive

Don't forget US uses NTCS video standard, while Europe uses the PAL video standard.

Not a problem unless you've got a really <span style="text-decoration: underline">ancient</span> TV/DVD.
Sets sold here in Europe handle both NTSC and PAL just fine.

I didn't. Just skip two beers and you have the money for the taxes.

So no, I don't buy the "its too expensive" excuse....

It is not the money that is the problem. It is more matter of principle not to pay 130 + $ for a movie. But if that's what it takes to get it, so be it. But had been allright to get it cheaper

What the fuck are you talking about? Where did these imaginary 130 dollars enter the equiation? Are you actually bitching about a price you randomly made up yourself?

Jesus Christ, you make me ashamed to be a Norwegian.

Even though you'd have to pay 130 dollars for it (in theory),
have you factored in purchase power parity?

Norwegian minimum wage is about 120 NOK, or just above 20 dollars an hour. At 130 dollars, you'd have to work 6h hours and 30 minutes on Norwegian minimum wage to afford the movie before income tax.
American minimum wage depends on the state, but on average I'd say about 7.5 dollars an hour. So at 60 dollars, an American on minimum wage would have to work 8hours and 20 minutes
to afford the movie before income tax.

Boo frikkin hoo.

Now do the math with a more realistic hourly rate of about 30-45 dollars an hour...

GOD JUL!
smile.gif

The 29 mil hold was the dope for the shot with 5 mils of elevation dialed in. It was the best compromise to give Travis what he needed in the way of magnification to take his poke.

The location was appx 3600' MSL and the gun he was using ran around 2490-2530, if I remember correctly. I don't remember exactly as I had a lot to digest with my own weapon system that week.
All .308 ammo was red box Black Hills 175 SMK...

There are more choices out there, different ways of doing things and plenty of good information in circulation. Depicted in this video is one.

Where the community as a whole stands to really benefit is through discussion like this on the forums. The folks that have seen the video and offer their constructive criticism elicit responses from others that disagree with a concept and debate their opinion in well thought out responses supported by accounts of their firsthand experience. The newer shooter and seasoned shooter alike stand to obtain a lot of very good information by result and we as a community all benefit from the increase in ability and overall awareness that will spread.

Merry Christmas to you all and for those away from their families right now, my most sincere thanks to you for your service.

Best,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD Air</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">Where the community as a whole stands to really benefit is through discussion like this on the forums</span>. The folks that have seen the video and offer their constructive criticism elicit responses from others that disagree with a concept and debate their opinion in well thought out responses supported by accounts of their firsthand experience. <span style="color: #CC0000">The newer shooter and seasoned shooter alike stand to obtain a lot of very good information</span> by result and we as a community all benefit from the increase in ability and overall awareness that will spread.
</div></div>

Agreed, well said. If nothing else it should encourage people to get out there shooting to test the theories they hear. Thats always a good thing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD Air</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">Where the community as a whole stands to really benefit is through discussion like this on the forums</span>. The folks that have seen the video and offer their constructive criticism elicit responses from others that disagree with a concept and debate their opinion in well thought out responses supported by accounts of their firsthand experience. <span style="color: #CC0000">The newer shooter and seasoned shooter alike stand to obtain a lot of very good information</span> by result and we as a community all benefit from the increase in ability and overall awareness that will spread.
</div></div>

Agreed, well said. If nothing else it should encourage people to get out there shooting to test the theories they hear. Thats always a good thing! </div></div>

I agree as well, however i'm not ready to go out and test any theories... I'm still learning. But I will listen to any theories to continue that process (which is why I come here).

The only way to know the difference between theory and fact is to test it.

That is one of the things i appreciated the most about Todd. He seemed to trust his own testing rather than take someone's word for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FOTH21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD Air</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">Where the community as a whole stands to really benefit is through discussion like this on the forums</span>. The folks that have seen the video and offer their constructive criticism elicit responses from others that disagree with a concept and debate their opinion in well thought out responses supported by accounts of their firsthand experience. <span style="color: #CC0000">The newer shooter and seasoned shooter alike stand to obtain a lot of very good information</span> by result and we as a community all benefit from the increase in ability and overall awareness that will spread.
</div></div>

Agreed, well said. If nothing else it should encourage people to get out there shooting to test the theories they hear. Thats always a good thing! </div></div>

I agree as well, however i'm not ready to go out and test any theories... I'm still learning. But I will listen to any theories to continue that process (which is why I come here). </div></div>

But how can you learn if you don't go out and test the theories? After all, isn't all this theoretical anyway?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cardinal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You might as well move over here....everyone else is.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Would if I could, but the problem is getting the Visa...

hiddenmongoose, buy it from Brownells when they get it. I bought Carbine 2 from them. </div></div>

forget about the visa....just fly to Mexico and walk over....

ive watch most of the dvds now, dvd 1-2 were good, 3 kinda sucked, 4 was "ok", 5 still need to watch...

any other companys make DVD's like this?

watched it as well I'd give it a 3 out of 10, if you are looking for long-range info it's not this vid , this vid is basically a horus and atrag commercial. the wind formula might have some worth but I have yet to try it. there’s way more info here on SH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: caustic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">watched it as well I'd give it a 3 out of 10, if you are looking for long-range info it's not this vid , this vid is basically a horus and atrag commercial. the wind formula might have some worth but I have yet to try it. there’s way more info here on SH. </div></div>

+1

I love math. I love ballistics. However Todd made me feel if I was sitting in math class falling asleep again. They could just call the DVD. Holdovers for 6hrs. The cleaning part was so funny. Maybe my DVD skipped or I fell asleep from the fast math but that was very short.

Oh well. The more I read/watch/shoot the better I become. Always learning.

Montague

Still learning, I read alot on the hide, but the visuals were nice to see, helps reinforce what i already understand. Any other vids like this out there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorwegianViking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People have different needs, so maybe cd 1-3 might be useful for beginners? </div></div>

Yeah, I think so, although all the magic voodoo for the "quick" wind formula I didn't like - They glossed (or rolled into the magic numbers in the quick equation) that left me thinking the wind holds would be good estimates.