• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Mailing Copy of Trust

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I found a dealer in my state hat has a suppressor that I want, however it is 5hrs away. They told me to fax or email them a copy of my trust and that they would file my form 4 electronically. And then when my stamp comes, I can make the drive, sign some papers, and pick up the can. Does that sound legit? I don't like the idea of emailing my trust to someone I've never met.

Try Googling for ATF eForms and you will find some information. Yes, they can file electronically with a copy of your trust, but, whether your SOT is legit or not is beyond me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The shop is reputable from what I can tell, but I've only been in contact with owners who have purchased from the shop in person. I've never known someone who mailed their trust to a distant dealer, and had them fill out all the forms. I'd feel more comfortable being at the shop when they fill out the forms, but a 5 hr drive for that would suck

Last edited:
The shop is reputable from what I can tell, but I've only been in contact with owners who have purchased from the shop in person. I've never known someone who mailed their trust to a distant dealer, and had them fill out all the forms. I'd feel more comfortable being at the shop when they fill out the forms, but a 5 hr drive for that would suck

Whether you drive there and hand them your trust in person OR send it electronically makes no difference......the end result is the same: the SOT has to have an electronic copy of the trust to eFile a Form 4. Your other option is to paper file your form and wait a year....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have to give them a copy of your trust no matter what. I'd scan it (make sure its the signed,notarized, dated copy otherwise aft will reject) and email to your SOT to efile. You don't actually need to drive out to see him when your stamp comes back. It can all be done via mail. Take a look at silencershops website and faqs for example it explains the process quite clearly.

Side note. My trust attorney told me that only I have to have my signature notarized on the trust. And that my 3 trustees do not have to sign it. That doesn't sound right?

Side note. My trust attorney told me that only I have to have my signature notarized on the trust. And that my 3 trustees do not have to sign it. That doesn't sound right?

Trust laws vary state by state as far as I know but for my TX trust only my signature was notarized none of the other trustees even signed it. Its been accepted multiple times by atf.

The way my trust was done, the base trust was setup with only me as a trustee, and then additional trustees were added by amendment. All the trustees had to have notarized signatures on the amendment forms. There should be a form you are using to add the trustees... either it has a spot for the notary to sign, or it does not.

If you are questing your attorney's advice, then you need them to do some explaining to you, or its time for a new lawyer that you trust.

You have to give them a copy of your trust no matter what. I'd scan it (make sure its the signed,notarized, dated copy otherwise aft will reject) and email to your SOT to efile. You don't actually need to drive out to see him when your stamp comes back. It can all be done via mail. Take a look at silencershops website and faqs for example it explains the process quite clearly.

I'm not sure what you mean. You're saying when my form 4 gets approved, and my stamp mailed to the dealer, that I do not have to go to the shop 5hrs away to sign anything? And the dealer is going to UPS my suppressor and leave it on my door step?

I'm not sure what you mean. You're saying when my form 4 gets approved, and my stamp mailed to the dealer, that I do not have to go to the shop 5hrs away to sign anything? And the dealer is going to UPS my suppressor and leave it on my door step?

Depending on your states laws, yes, this might be possible.

Yes. After SOT gets your stamp back you fill out a 4473 sign and mail to SOT. Then they mail you your suppressor.

I did several suppressor purchase/transfers this while through my SOT while deployed. Sent him a check and the trust, he scanned me the form to sign, and the suppressors was ready for me when I got home. Take that, wait time....

Ok so someone explain the process to me. I email a PDF file of my trust to the dealer. The dealer fills out the electronic form 4, and attaches a copy of the trust PDF to it. But now what? How do I attach my $200 payment to the electronic application? If approved, does the stamp get sent to me, or the dealer? Once the stamp is in, what other paperwork needs done on my end? I can't find clear answers via my googlefu.

Yes. After SOT gets your stamp back you fill out a 4473 sign and mail to SOT. Then they mail you your suppressor.

HUH? I'ver never heard of the SOT mailing a suppressor to the end user even in the same state once it was approved.

ok so someone explain the process to me. I email a PDF file of my trust to the dealer. The dealer fills out the electronic form 4, and attaches a copy of the trust PDF to it. But now what? How do I attach my $200 payment to the electronic application? If approved, does the stamp get sent to me, or the dealer? Once the stamp is in, what other paperwork needs done on my end? I can't find clear answers via my googlefu.

from what i have read, it is payment by credit card. supposedly that is why efile is quicker. payment goes thru right away, and the form goes to pending immediately. this is just what i ahve read. i do not have first hand experience with it. upon approval, the stamp goes to the dealer. then the dealer calls you to come get your shit. the only thing you have to do after is fill out a 4473, just like you would for a rifle here in PA, then ad the can and serial number to your property assignment page in the trust. some will argue if a 4473 needs to be done, but whatever. the 3 cans i have approved so far i had to do it.

HUH? I'ver never heard of the SOT mailing a suppressor to the end user even in the same state once it was approved.

i have seen people claim this has happened.

It works like this.

You email a PDF copy of your trust to the dealer.
Your dealer fills out form 4 via e-forms and pays the $200 tax (some will use your card, others will charge you through their system)
The forms immediately go pending because the payment is instant.
Forms come back approved, you can fill out a 4473 for each item and mail them to the dealer.
When he gets those forms, depending on the state laws, the dealer can mail the suppressor(s) to you. Typically they will be shipped and require a signature to be dropped off.

Read the FAQ at www.silencershop.com or give Silenced America a call. They will explain everything to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

When your silencer comes back approved you have to fill out a 4473. Your FFL/SOT has to call in a back ground check on you. Not sure what FFL/SOT can do that through the mail but he better read the NFA Handbook!!!!

FFL/SOT DEALERS READ
page 64 under 9.12.1
Of the NFA HANDBOOK

If you read this section and think that a 4473 can be done through the mail, and you can them mail out a NFA item, god help you!!

Last edited:
A NICS background check is not required for transfer providing you have an approved form 4 in hand. Refer to 9.12.

Section 9.12 Are FFLs/SOTs required to initiate a background check of the transferee under the
Brady Law in connection with the transfer of an NFA firearm? No. Although 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)
requires an FFL to complete a National Instant Criminal Background Checks System (NICS) check of
the firearm recipient prior to completing the transfer, subsection 922(t)(3)(B) removes ATF-approved
transfers of NFA firearms from the NICS requirement for individuals.

Last edited:
A NICS background check is not required for transfer providing you have an approved form 4 in hand. Refer to 9.12.

Section 9.12 Are FFLs/SOTs required to initiate a background check of the transferee under the
Brady Law in connection with the transfer of an NFA firearm? No. Although 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)
requires an FFL to complete a National Instant Criminal Background Checks System (NICS) check of
the firearm recipient prior to completing the transfer, subsection 922(t)(3)(B) removes ATF-approved
transfers of NFA firearms from the NICS requirement for individuals.

You did not read 9.12.1
This tread is about TRUSTS
NOT individuals

9.12.1 NFA Transfers to OTHER THAN individuals. Subsequent to the approval of an application
requesting to transfer an NFA firearm to, or on behalf of, a partnership, company, association,
TRUSTS, estate, or corporation, the authorized person picking up the firearm on behalf of, a
partnership, company, association, trust, estate, or corporation from the FFL must complete the
Form 4473 with his/her personal information AND UNDERGO a NICS check. See also, question P60
in the ATF FAQs.

Last edited: