• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Making your own suppressor.

Vitorum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
TN
So I live in TN. I've checked with both my local FFL class 3 dealers who have informed me that so long as you are first approved you can build your own homemade suppressor. Now I know you have to engrave a specific S/N of your choice into it and pay the tax stamp, exc. But are there specifications on how I'm aloud to design it or what I make it out of?

Re: Making your own suppressor.

I think the specs and materials are limited to your imagination and compliance to the specs you give the ATF on the form 1 which they will approve prior to your build.

I've never done that, but that's what I've gathered from past posts of other people who have.

Not to discourage building your own, but it is pretty rare that anyone designs a product that's impressive compared to marketed products. The price of a marketed product looks high because you never get to see all the invested dollars that go no-where as the various players develop products to the point of having a saleable item.

A great example is a baffle that costs $12,000 in tooling to make the first part, or a recoil booster that might have cost $15,000 to develop.

When you buy a ~$700-900 item, that item represents all of those hidden costs amortized over hundreds or thousands of units and in the end, your $700 item might be the result of lessons learned from $90,000 worth of R&D, tooling, or design hours.

In other words making your own could be a great deal, or a terrible waste of money and time. Just something to consider before you get started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the specs and materials are limited to your imagination and compliance to the specs you give the ATF on the form 1 which they will approve prior to your build.

I've never done that, but that's what I've gathered from past posts of other people who have.

Not to discourage building your own, but it is pretty rare that anyone designs a product that's impressive compared to marketed products. The price of a marketed product looks high because you never get to see all the invested dollars that go no-where as the various players develop products to the point of having a saleable item.

A great example is a baffle that costs $12,000 in tooling to make the first part, or a recoil booster that might have cost $15,000 to develop.

When you buy a ~$700-900 item, that item represents all of those hidden costs amortized over hundreds or thousands of units and in the end, your $700 item might be the result of lessons learned from $90,000 worth of R&D, tooling, or design hours.

In other words making your own could be a great deal, or a terrible waste of money and time. Just something to consider before you get started.

</div></div>

Hm very interesting points. I think I could do it. I can be pretty creative. So if I get all the legal work taken care of and I finish building it. I'll post a video of it. That is if it's any good lol. Thanks for your assistance. That was very helpful.
smile.gif

You can also copy an existing design as I don't believe it's a copyright issue if it's not for sale.

i have made 5 for my self and constructed 7 for others (wich is perfectly legal if they are presant with their completed form-1 and all parts are kept with them)

my current 30 cal can works as good or better than any other 30 cal suppressor i have heard though its a little bigger at 1.625"OD and 10" long and heavier at 37 ounces.

their are some great desgines but it seems that a series of 50-60 deg cones or stepped comes works best for rifles.

what are your machining and or welding capibilities?

NOTE: you can <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span></span> make <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">ANY</span></span> parts untill you have your tax stanped returned and in your posision currently taking about 4-5 months and you can not have <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">ANY</span></span> extra parts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have made 5 for my self and constructed 7 for others (wich is perfectly legal if they are presant with their completed form-1 and all parts are kept with them)

my current 30 cal can works as good or better than any other 30 cal suppressor i have heard though its a little bigger at 1.625"OD and 10" long and heavier at 37 ounces.

their are some great desgines but it seems that a series of 50-60 deg cones or stepped comes works best for rifles.

what are your machining and or welding capibilities?

NOTE: you can <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span></span> make <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">ANY</span></span> parts untill you have your tax stanped returned and in your posision currently taking about 4-5 months and you can not have <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">ANY</span></span> extra parts </div></div>

Sweet. Do you have any pics. I would love to see them.

Thanks for the info as well.
smile.gif

Also are you saying throw away all extra parts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WileyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your best source of info is the Silencersmithing Forum here.......

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.php</div></div>

this.... </div></div>

right on! thanks!

contact Jimmy M40a2 on this board. I believe he has made his own suppressor for one of his .50 bmg rifles.

Griffin makes some pretty good points, you'll be hard pressed to design something that is better and cheaper then current market options. The appeal of making your own suppressor is pretty cool though. It would be really satisfying to build your own suppressor!

But I'd talk to Jimmy, and weigh your options and see what works best for you.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kthomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">contact Jimmy M40a2 on this board. I believe he has made his own suppressor for one of his .50 bmg rifles.

Griffin makes some pretty good points, you'll be hard pressed to design something that is better and cheaper then current market options. The appeal of making your own suppressor is pretty cool though. It would be really satisfying to build your own suppressor!

But I'd talk to Jimmy, and weigh your options and see what works best for you.

Good luck! </div></div>

Ok sounds very good. Thank you very much.
smile.gif

Here are some pics of my latest can , its for a 22 rim fire but have run it on a 22 K-Hornet with great results.
Its a bit bigger than typical 22 cans but built with better material (7068 T6)
IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3067.jpg

here are the baffles of the last 30 cal can , the flat porten one is the blast baffle and the cones followed
securedownload3.jpg

securedownload4.jpg

securedownload.jpg

securedownload1.jpg

I have made cans for 17 hmr, 22lr, 223, 300/338/510 whispers, 458 socom, 7.62x39, 308 and 338 ultra mag. The AK is still rather loud due to the gas port and the 458 socom is not hearig safe due to only 8" of can in front of the muzzle. The rest work very nice

I will not buy a can unless I cannot make it. It is a very rewarding hobby. Check out the silener smithing section on SilencerTalk. I have simple drawings if you need ideas.

Ranb

what is the DB on a 300? Have you checked. I would be interested in purchasing if you are willing to sell.

seems like I would find it easier to buy one but if I had the tools or the skill I would try and make my own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Madpipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems like I would find it easier to buy one but if I had the tools or the skill I would try and make my own.</div></div>
I agree that it would be easier to buy one and at the same time take agvantage of all the R&D that has been done. However, knowlege, designs, tools and skill cannot be regulated or taxed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some pics of my latest can , its for a 22 rim fire but have run it on a 22 K-Hornet with great results.
Its a bit bigger than typical 22 cans but built with better material (7068 T6)
IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3067.jpg

here are the baffles of the last 30 cal can , the flat porten one is the blast baffle and the cones followed
securedownload3.jpg

securedownload4.jpg

securedownload.jpg

securedownload1.jpg
</div></div>

Do know some good schools in TN that offer machining classes? I can find some myself but I would rather have a suggestion from someone who obviously has skills and would have a better idea. If not that's cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WileyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your best source of info is the Silencersmithing Forum here.......

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.php </div></div>
Yep......
Some here will disagree with this, BUT.....get a mini lathe to learn on (7x12 minimum). Buy some tooling and a quick change tool post, and start destroying tools. If you are of the nature to fix stuff (your cars, toilet, etc.), you should pick it up fairly fast. Go back and pick up your high school trig book and relearn how to use the Tangent function to establish depth of cuts to get 60 degree angles on cones or K baffles, and have fun!
Metal is cheap (kinda, but cheaper than a factory can).
Do not forget....that Form 1 takes just as long as a Form 4, so you will have PLENTY of time to draw, redraw, and finalize your design by the time the ATF sends you your $200 stamp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Handloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WileyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your best source of info is the Silencersmithing Forum here.......

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.php </div></div>
Yep......
Some here will disagree with this, BUT.....get a mini lathe to learn on (7x12 minimum). Buy some tooling and a quick change tool post, and start destroying tools. If you are of the nature to fix stuff (your cars, toilet, etc.), you should pick it up fairly fast. Go back and pick up your high school trig book and relearn how to use the Tangent function to establish depth of cuts to get 60 degree angles on cones or K baffles, and have fun!
Metal is cheap (kinda, but cheaper than a factory can).
Do not forget....that Form 1 takes just as long as a Form 4, so you will have PLENTY of time to draw, redraw, and finalize your design by the time the ATF sends you your $200 stamp. </div></div>

Alright. Thanks.

Ranb and jones make great cans. Go to silencertalk and check out their work. Go to the silencersmith section and read until your eyes bleed.

Their are a lot of great supressor designs out there, personally I like the mono core design. I'm in the process of drawing my mono core in solidworks and going to run it on a CNC milling machine. I don't have a lathe, but i can do most all the things i need on a milling machine, and it's repeatable because of the CNC aspect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the specs and materials are limited to your imagination and compliance to the specs you give the ATF on the form 1 which they will approve prior to your build.

</div></div>

+1.

I was reading over at silencertalk in the smitthing forum and one of the guys on that board sells plans. I dont know how much they cost but if its $50 or similar and its a kick ass suppressor design that's some cheap R&D. If you could take the plans to a machine shop and have it made it might be a good way to go. Just throwin it out there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was reading over at silencertalk in the smitthing forum and one of the guys on that board sells plans. I dont know how much they cost but if its $50 or similar and its a kick ass suppressor design that's some cheap R&D. If you could take the plans to a machine shop and have it made it might be a good way to go. Just throwin it out there... </div></div>

You have to be VERY careful who's "expert" advice or desgine you use

You can also copy an existing design as I don't believe it's a copyright issue if it's not for sale.

When it comes to a physical object, the pertinent law is patent law. If the suppressor design is patented, then it is indeed illegal to make one even for your own use. But there are a lot of designs out there with expired patents that make the design public domain.

Just full out form 1, send the form, $200 and then play the waiting game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. You cannot produce any suppressor parts until your form 1 is back.

On another note, since this thread is 2 yrs old read the above post that says "current wait times are 4-5 months"......I wish we could return to that.