• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth Sniper Challenge 2021

Top teams tend to shoot 6mm versions for primary and hot hand loaded 223 bolt guns for secondary from what I saw.

most targets aren’t very far to be honest, go for low recoil and what you can shoot quickly while maintaining 1-2 moa accuracy. Closer to 1moa if you want to win. That’s probably why you won’t see many top ten teams with a gasser. Like the dude above whose partner had to switch from a 6.5 prc, the rule change probably saved him from himself. It’s ft Gordon, not bliss, the recoil of a prc might be a disadvantage overall.

Shooting a 308, cause the shooting might as well be just as miserable as the rucking. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: ballison
Shooting a 308, cause the shooting might as well be just as miserable as the rucking. :cool:

Same, one for the wind, two because I don’t hand load and my 75gr hornady 223 is like 2550, and I don’t have a 223 bolt gun.

Non-competition question

I’ve seen the schedule.
3:30 PM AWARDS BANQUET AND PRIZE TABLE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

For those of you familiar with the logistics of this match......what are the odds of me making it to ATL for a 9PM flight?

oof. That's a tight schedule. The airport is hell especially if you are trying to bring a gun through. Its possible you make it. I don't know that I'd bet on it though

Non-competition question

I’ve seen the schedule.

For those of you familiar with the logistics of this match......what are the odds of me making it to ATL for a 9PM flight?

It's a gamble but its doable. Sunday afternoon traffic and airport volumes will be light. I fly Delta out of Atlanta fairly regularly and its pretty painless with minimal extra time.

Basically I like to be there 90-120 minutes before the flight. Delta boards 30 minutes before and that gives me an hour to get bags checked (guns included), through security (precheck) and to the gate with time for a snack and bathroom break.

It looks like a little over 2 hours to get from Ft. Gordon to Hartsfield, but if you have a rental it'll be a little longer.

I will say they are generally good about sticking to the schedule, but if you weren't married to the prize table you could make it, no problem. If you're wanting to stick around a bit I think it's doable but you need to watch time and be ready to bail. And hopefully you budget some time to stop in at a Love's or something for a shower if you plan on camping.

Reactions: Simonsza1
It's a gamble but its doable. Sunday afternoon traffic and airport volumes will be light. I fly Delta out of Atlanta fairly regularly and its pretty painless with minimal extra time.

Basically I like to be there 90-120 minutes before the flight. Delta boards 30 minutes before and that gives me an hour to get bags checked (guns included), through security (precheck) and to the gate with time for a snack and bathroom break.

It looks like a little over 2 hours to get from Ft. Gordon to Hartsfield, but if you have a rental it'll be a little longer.

I will say they are generally good about sticking to the schedule, but if you weren't married to the prize table you could make it, no problem. If you're wanting to stick around a bit I think it's doable but you need to watch time and be ready to bail. And hopefully you budget some time to stop in at a Love's or something for a shower if you plan on camping.

I hadn’t thought about the shower. That’s a good point. I doubt the prize table will be a big concern for me (unless it’s a deeper table than I expect). Even so, my partner can stick around for that. The more I think about it, it’s a no brainer. Flying out Sunday night saves me like 12 hours.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Non-competition question

I’ve seen the schedule.

Low

I’ve only checked a gun through there once and it was a big hassle. I had an easier time getting guns through LAX haha

Augusta is easy though

For those who have done this, any suggestions on stuff that came in handy outside of the normal gear?

For those who have done this, any suggestions on stuff that came in handy outside of the normal gear?
Here is my packing list from last year. Only thing missing is Mountain House food, which my partner carried to even out the packs.
1607390279317.png

Reactions: C.R. Adams
We used a tripod on one stage and cleaned the rifle shots. Lot of weight to carry for one stage but worth it. Using a lighter one this year.

Paper dope sheets- laminated

Check torque on all your stuff the night before so you can leave that stuff in the car. Maybe an Allen key to reset a screw to a witness Mark.

a grease pencil came in hand to write in the rain.

drip drop for sure.
If the rucks are going to suck for you definitely err on the side of less.

I only shot 110 rifle rounds last year, partner about the same and we placed well. If you shoot 130 rds and actually hit, you’ll damn near win

Reactions: ballison
We used a tripod on one stage and cleaned the rifle shots. Lot of weight to carry for one stage but worth it. Using a lighter one this year.

Paper dope sheets- laminated

Check torque on all your stuff the night before so you can leave that stuff in the car. Maybe an Allen key to reset a screw to a witness Mark.

a grease pencil came in hand to write in the rain.

drip drop for sure.
If the rucks are going to suck for you definitely err on the side of less.

I only shot 110 rifle rounds last year, partner about the same and we placed well. If you shoot 130 rds and actually hit, you’ll damn near win

Completely agree on the tripod. It's the one piece of gear that comes up the most. If weight is an issue and a team is concerned about making ruck times, it might be the first piece of gear that they drop. But don't forget that Mammoth is 100% scored as a shooting match, so if your goal is to place well, then IMHO it's not something you can leave at home.

Not the case. I fly through there regularly and it's actually easier than many other airports.
Ok, maybe it was because the ATL TSA guy kept wanting to swab my C3 UZI and suppressor and ask a million questions. Regardless NO ONE IS faster than Denver.

Ok, maybe it was because the ATL TSA guy kept wanting to swab my C3 UZI and suppressor and ask a million questions. Regardless NO ONE IS faster than Denver.
I’ll see your Denver and raise you MHK 😂. An absolute pleasure to flight out of. The only way it could be faster is if they didn’t bother to open the gun case.

Reactions: flatlander
Any input on bringing a cover for scope/rifle action?

My guess is that aside from guys who are pro shooters, the field will be weaker overall bc of ammo prices limiting training and covid disrupting a lot of people’s desired training schedules. Could be wrong but the range I shoot at goes out to 1200+ and the long range bros are a lot more sparse and the tactical bay shooter guys are barely anywhere to be found

If people did it you’d see more threads about it. We chat about weight kits for 6 creeds and click feel instead

My guess is that aside from guys who are pro shooters, the field will be weaker overall bc of ammo prices limiting training and covid disrupting a lot of people’s desired training schedules. Could be wrong but the range I shoot at goes out to 1200+ and the long range bros are a lot more sparse and the tactical bay shooter guys are barely anywhere to be found

I'd disagree with that. I know quite a few people who have focused more and are probably more ready than ever. Physical fitness is free when you're motivated, and instead of just blasting ammo there's more focused training with the rounds you do have. I think there's going to be a more competitive field than ever this year.

I'm super stoked. Just a tidbit of local intel for y'all, the weather has been a fickle mistress. Some days its 60 degrees, some days its 40. Its been raining about every 3rd or 4th day so I wouldn't bet on having a dry or warm Mammoth. I think they did say there will be a communal fire pit in the sleeping area though so maybe you can dry your socks off there haha

Last year it was 80 during the day and high 60s at night, and humid to boot. Would welcome a little cooler weather this year. 55-60 during the day and 45ish at night would be perfect.

Reactions: agr490
Two weeks to go?

Where did the time go, ooof :oops:

First timer but not stressing. I’m sure I’m not gonna shoot great but I figure this will be my learning run and next year I can come back and try to be competitive. Although, I’d be stressing if my ruck times weren’t great. It’s a long way to come to fail on TV because you can’t walk fast enough hahaha

Better dust the ruck off...

should be fun. Hopefully they killed the milling stage. A little cooler would be nice too

It's a shooting match that you have to walk everywhere, with everything, and you get to camp out with all your squad bros. Make the times and shoot some guns and you'll be fine!

1. Make the rucks, so ensure you aren bringing way too much shit
2. Stages are four minutes, so if you can’t use it quickly, leave it
3. Talk through the stage and have a plan
4. Don’t blow opportunities for points ie throw away pistol work to get to rifle
5. Communicate to your partner

The Fort Gordon range is real foggy this morning. My Sig LRF is only kicking back accurate readings out to 500. You can see targets faintly through a scope but with the naked eye you can hardly even see the tree line at 1000.

just a tidbit for y’all. Don’t know if it’s helpful or not

Attachments

• C26CEB47-C623-4CAF-A079-3AC37E8D2265.jpeg
    C26CEB47-C623-4CAF-A079-3AC37E8D2265.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 77
Here we go! 4 days left. Today I packed up my final ruck config. 50lbs 7ozs. Not gonna mess with it anymore. I thought long and hard about ditching the tripod and binos (6lbs 12ozs) but I have a feeling my partner will need me spotting so I decided to take one for the team and carry it. Next time I do something like this, the sleep system is getting overhauled. I feel like I could have cut considerable weight there but too late and I didn't feel much like shelling out the money for ultralight stuff. My old military stuff will have to suffice for this go around.

I offered up my gear from last year to the mwr crews if anyone needed help, probably should have posted it up in here also. My sleeping bag was 2lbs and we used a 3 man tent that was 3lbs. Used a kuiu pack and it was very comfortable with the suspension system, our kit came out to 48lbs each so don’t sweat the 50lbs. You’ll find a few that will be hauling a bit more

Reactions: Austinjunks
Here we go! 4 days left. Today I packed up my final ruck config. 50lbs 7ozs. Not gonna mess with it anymore. I thought long and hard about ditching the tripod and binos (6lbs 12ozs) but I have a feeling my partner will need me spotting so I decided to take one for the team and carry it. Next time I do something like this, the sleep system is getting overhauled. I feel like I could have cut considerable weight there but too late and I didn't feel much like shelling out the money for ultralight stuff. My old military stuff will have to suffice for this go around.
I picked up a tent that is 1.5 lbs for a 2 man, it saved considerable weight.
I offered up my gear from last year to the mwr crews if anyone needed help, probably should have posted it up in here also.
Look at you helping out man, you shooting next year?

Reactions: never_summer