Mammoth Sniper Challenge 2021

lts1ow

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
Cool thanks guys, planned on grabbing a safariland OWB paddle setup for pistol.

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
Gah, so hard to catch registration in time. I guess 2022 is where it's at...

kodak_zakkk

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2019
I’ll work on a write up of everything I’m bringing with associated weights so maybe some folks can give some feedback, if they’d be so kind.

When I first packed a ruck to start training pack was just under 56lbs including gun. I know some guys run a much heavier pack but I’m having a tough time making the par time thus far. I might add some stuff back later if I can easily hit the par time with a lighter pack. For reference, I live and work here at Fort Gordon so I’m practicing in roughly the same terrain/conditions as the comp is held in.

Things I ditched in the name of weight savings: the tripod, switch rifle and pistol (both to lighter versions), switched to a smaller lighter pack, switched to aluminum cased pistol ammo (found that little trick here), ditched a few articles of clothing, ditched the bivvy bag, stripped my food down (I’m using MREs so in essence I just took out the food I don’t like and redundant utensils) and replaced some items with dehydrated peanut butter, maybe a few other things but I can’t think of them at the moment.
My little brother and I shot the last two years and did semi-well last year. We failed a ruck the first year so light was our priority. Do not sacrifice shooting performance for comfort. Our packs were 41 and 42 pounds including my 16 pound rifle and his 18 pound rifle. I shoot 223 (proof carbon) and he shoots XC(steel MTU). Leupold 5-25 and MPA chassis on both. CCH and T3. We both also packed heavy competition pistols(x5 and Cz Shadow2), competition belts, and three mags each. He carried his uspsa steel dropdown holster and I had a smaller kydex holster. The only additional thing we will carry this year is about 25% more food, body glide, and a shooting tripod(I have a 404 Leofoto with ball head but may have an anvil RRS by Mammoth)

On packs, Im looking for a new one. I sold my eberle Lodrag for comfort and weight reasons so I'm looking for a new one. What is everyone running? My brother has a Kuiu and its super comfortable and light but no great way to carry the rifle. It is hard to carry a 16-20 pound rifle in a pack comfortably.

Austinjunks

#BANGSQUAD
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2019
Savannah GA
bangsquad.org
My little brother and I shot the last two years and did semi-well last year. We failed a ruck the first year so light was our priority. Do not sacrifice shooting performance for comfort. Our packs were 41 and 42 pounds including my 16 pound rifle and his 18 pound rifle. I shoot 223 (proof carbon) and he shoots XC(steel MTU). Leupold 5-25 and MPA chassis on both. CCH and T3. We both also packed heavy competition pistols(x5 and Cz Shadow2), competition belts, and three mags each. He carried his uspsa steel dropdown holster and I had a smaller kydex holster. The only additional thing we will carry this year is about 25% more food, body glide, and a shooting tripod(I have a 404 Leofoto with ball head but may have an anvil RRS by Mammoth)

On packs, Im looking for a new one. I sold my eberle Lodrag for comfort and weight reasons so I'm looking for a new one. What is everyone running? My brother has a Kuiu and its super comfortable and light but no great way to carry the rifle. It is hard to carry a 16-20 pound rifle in a pack comfortably.
I'm sticking with Mystery Ranch, possibly moving to their external frame for rifle carry.

Reactions: kodak_zakkk

lts1ow

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
Another noob question, are distances to each stage provided before you step off? Or is it a in the dark kinda thing?

RogueTanker

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2017
well documented down to the second as to how long you have. They'll let you know exactly how long and time. There aren't any surprises either, they explain the route well and let everyone have time to get ready.

lts1ow

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
Excellent, thanks.

What time is step off in the mornings?

ballison

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
I'm sticking with Mystery Ranch, possibly moving to their external frame for rifle carry.
2nd on the Mystery Ranch. I played with an Alice pack and Eberlestock Gunslinger until finally settling on the MR Selway. Perfect size, about 5#, and I can carry my rifle between the frame and pack. It's amazing how "light" a well-designed pack feels.

never_summer

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
Body glide
😂 I bet you will be bringing that next year, thought you would mention a tent also instead of hammock.
Burdicks pack was really nice, his modified dog harness rifle holster looked like it worked badass. I really like the frame on the kuiu and it lifted all the weight off my shoulders, try running the rifle up top on the lid.

ChidJ

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
To any of y'all that competed last year, what was the maximum number of rifle and/or pistol rounds you had to fire at any given stage (primary or secondary)? Also, did they allow fires in or around the sleeping areas?

Last edited:

ChidJ

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
ah I poorly worded the question. I should say, what was the most rounds you ended up firing at any of the stages?

ballison

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
ah I poorly worded the question. I should say, what was the most rounds you ended up firing at any of the stages?
If you have 2 10-rounds mags, you should be fine. There was one stage that you and your partner alternated firing at targets until time ran out. I think we went thru almost 20 rounds each. But most stages were 8-12 rounds of rifle.

ChidJ

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
Thank you. Do you suppose 7 round capacity in a pistol is sufficient and were there any stages where mag changes had to be conducted (not as in you ran out of ammo but rather that changing a magazine was just part of the procedure/part of the course of fire)?

ballison

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
I would not go with a 7-round mag for 2 reasons. 1) There were many stages that required more than 7 pistol rounds and 2) There were a few stages where you had to hit-to-move, and I SUCK with a pistol. Yes there were some stages with mandatory mag changes. We both took Sig P320s so we could share mags and ammo, and took two 17-round mags and two 21-round mags.

ChidJ

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
Do y’all see anyone or yourself consider using an ultralight hammock as part of your sleep systems? Any major downfalls I should consider? My current sleep system is just over 5lbs so I figure this is a good place to cut some last minute weight.

RogueTanker

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2017
Do y’all see anyone or yourself consider using an ultralight hammock as part of your sleep systems? Any major downfalls I should consider? My current sleep system is just over 5lbs so I figure this is a good place to cut some last minute weight.
Last year hammocks were a no go. I wouldn't plan on it