• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth Sniper Challenge 2021

I picked up a tent that is 1.5 lbs for a 2 man, it saved considerable weight.

Look at you helping out man, you shooting next year?

haha yeah we decided what’s an extra pound for comfort in the tent and it was nice. Hopefully I’ll shoot it next year. With the way the oil industry is going it may not be as difficult of a choice when it comes to the schedule 😩

Reactions: Austinjunks
Weighed mine in at 55lb, shaved off 20 rounds so down to 130

Good luck to all of you competing.
Stay safe, shoot straight.

Drop some photos or videos if possible.

@NGCSUGrad09 My pack weight is with rifle. I can't remember exactly but I think the rifle, without bipod, came in at 9lbs 10oz

If anyone needs something to do tonight, my partner and I will be on The Shooter's Mindset talking about Mammoth and other team matches. Starts at 9pm EST.

Listened to your interview @NGCSUGrad09 I appreciate you doing interviews like that. My biggest takeaway was when one of you mentioned the mental hump is morning of day 2. I'll be remembering that when I wake up sore and cold on Saturday

Last minute choice, to bring bino's or not?

Sitting at the airport waiting for my flight to ATL. Interesting....the airport WiFi blocks Snipershide because .....”weapons”.

@lts1ow I'm not really any kind of expert but unless its got RFing capabilities, its a lot of weight for a single function that you may or may not use. I'd say leave it

Went to the on post range yesterday to beat the rush of today and drove around the training areas. I don't know if they've done in like this in the past but all the water at the stages appears to be bottled water so I'm ditching my water containers to save some weight. Every ounce counts, especially if it doesn't cost anything haha

It depends on what else you are bringing to help you find targets. Most stages will require you to find and range targets before engaging them. A handheld LRF or your rifle scope can be used for locating, but binos will be more efficient.

I had planned on using rifle scope to find target, then LRF via handheld.

Last minute changes never end well though, so prob keep it simple and leave em in the truck.

Any other SH guys in squad 1? My team is the shorter black guy and taller white guy, both of whom will be obviously out of their element haha

I’m envious of you gentlemen. Hopefully will be able to attend the 2022 mammoth. I shot it in 2016 and it was a blast.

I'll follow suit with my own shout out to Squad 1 and big congratulations to the toughman 1st place winners who were in my squad. The price for entry, pneumonia, and stress fractures were worth it just to be able to learn by watching y'all. There wasn't a single person there that wasn't friendly and positive the entire time. I'll be back next year if for no other reason than to redeem myself due to my embarrassingly poor performance and do some more learning.

Also, the range officiators and event staff were the best of people and I'm really grateful for all the work they put in, the feedback provided, and encouragement given. Just top notch people no matter which way you turned

I'll follow suit with my own shout out to Squad 1 and big congratulations to the toughman 1st place winners who were in my squad. The price for entry, pneumonia, and stress fractures were worth it just to be able to learn by watching y'all. There wasn't a single person there that wasn't friendly and positive the entire time. I'll be back next year if for no other reason than to redeem myself due to my embarrassingly poor performance and do some more learning.

Also, the range officiators and event staff were the best of people and I'm really grateful for all the work they put in, the feedback provided, and encouragement given. Just top notch people no matter which way you turned
Squad 1 seemed like they had an awesome time. Spotting for you guys on Sunday was fun.

Who were in your squad?
I’m notoriously bad with names but, St. John/Fleenor, the Mathews bros., Gunkel/mayne, Copeland/Jordan, Walpole/Roberts, Bartholo/Evans, feudala/gurski, Richards/santarina, rixon/fuller, cerrone/funk

I had to go back to the results list and pull the names from there. Special congrats to Justin and Ben who shot very well. Especially on Sunday since Ben told me they were out of the running on Sunday morning.

Ben is a hammer, I’ve shot with him a couple times and he always does really well. You won’t meet a nicer guy either.

I was asked for the results in a PM. But I might as well post them up here as well because there might be people like me who refuse to use FB.
6D7F2F07-A806-4016-AB1A-69447256FDAB.jpeg

I shot in squad 7, awesome squad bunch of good people. Really had a good time and my foot still has a blister lol... hopefully see some of the same people at the vortex sniper challenge next month.

I shot in squad 7, awesome squad bunch of good people. Really had a good time and my foot still has a blister lol... hopefully see some of the same people at the vortex sniper challenge next month.
I was an RO at Mammoth but I’ll be competing with another RO at Vortex. We had a good time last year (Bushnell).

Reactions: JustSendit
Just going to drop this here for those looking ahead to Mammoth next year.

I’m notoriously bad with names but, St. John/Fleenor, the Mathews bros., Gunkel/mayne, Copeland/Jordan, Walpole/Roberts, Bartholo/Evans, feudala/gurski, Richards/santarina, rixon/fuller, cerrone/funk

I had to go back to the results list and pull the names from there. Special congrats to Justin and Ben who shot very well. Especially on Sunday since Ben told me they were out of the running on Sunday morning.
4 was a blast!

Well I've been sorta writing out a gear wishlist to try and get ahold of before next year's Mammoth. What are some gear items that y'all wish y'all would've left behind and some items that are for sure staying in the pack?

I shot embarrassingly poorly so I won't opine on shooting gear but I will say that I'll be running the same pack next year. The MR Sawtooth felt just about the perfect size, was very comfortable and I don't see any bags out there I think offer any real advantage over it. Bringing Gu Roctane energy powder after every stage made a huge impact on my energy levels. There isn't much caffeine in it but its got carbs, electros, and BCAAs. Also, I never felt like foam earplugs were holding me back over electronic ear pro. I will wear those again next year. I saw a lot of people rocking Sordins and Peltors and those are pretty heavy and I don't see any benefit to them. I never had any issue communicating with my partner despite "social distancing" precautions. Finally, the gold bond powder was clutch for staving off the chafing.

Things that I won't be bringing next year are the headlamp. Most areas were lit and I had plenty of phone battery to use the light on it. I won't be bringing MREs next year. I knew going into it that it wasn't the best weight conscious choice for food but figured I'd tough it out. Not next year. I won't be bringing so many extra socks. Even though I had dry socks to put on every day, they got wet before breakfast so I could have just worn one pair the whole time. I also wore minimalist running shoes. These were great for reducing muscle fatigue but the bones in my feet were severely punished. Those are getting left home and I'll bring something with a little more robust structure to them. I also had too many pouches for compartmentalizing gear. They were unnecessary. The only items that seemed to be "grab on the clock" items were handguns, tripods, and rangefinders and you were able to prep that stuff prior to them telling you to go so it didn't have to be quick access. Next year, I'm ditching the pouches and everything will get dumped in the main pack.

Things I didn't bring but want to bring next year: my watch. I forgot it at the house but it would have been helpful for both I and my partner to be able to track the time elapsed/remaining. A little cook stove would have been nice too. I really wanted hot food by day 3. I only had a couple hot meals with my MREs and in the cold and rain the little bit of hot food I had was a big morale boost. More of that would seem to be better. And finally, the walking sticks that so many people were using. I thought they were kind of lame initially but on day 3 on the biggest hills, my opinion of them got better and better haha. After doing some googling after getting home, there's a company that makes the walking sticks that also work as a tripod. I think I want to try those.

I know y'all probably already considered all this. I just wrote something mainly to provoke one of you smarter folks to post stuff up. I learned a ton before and during the event from other competitors so I'm hoping to keep the knowledge train rollin post-event.

Edit: to be clear, I don't think any one of the pieces of gear would have made a lick of difference in my piss poor score. Just would have made things more comfy

Biggest gear change for me, will be adding red dot to pistol and bringing binos. Aside from that prob not bring as much rifle ammo and practice more pistol shooting. Also looking at switching tent to a trekking pole based setup to shave a little weight.

Biggest gear change for me, will be adding red dot to pistol and bringing binos. Aside from that prob not bring as much rifle ammo and practice more pistol shooting. Also looking at switching tent to a trekking pole based setup to shave a little weight.

What stage(s) did you feel like you needed the binos? I had a pair but only successfully used them on the non-shooting stage (the one with the colored shirts in the woods) and I used them on the really long tower stage but they gave distances for 3 of the targets and we didn't hit those so while I used them, they didn't help a ton

That target Id stage where you climbed the bleachers. Struggled to find targets

That target Id stage where you climbed the bleachers. Struggled to find targets

Ah yeah that one I also unsuccessfully used my binos. I got tricked by the number sequence and burned a ton of time trying to find number 1 in front of number 2 but it was actually behind number 3

Few things really helped me this year:
Range finding binos, these were the go to for my partner and I. We both used different harnesses to have them on our chest - I went with the Kuiu (based on recommendation) harness and it was perfect. I kept my kestrel close to sync the bino (sigkilo) and gain my dope. But a lot of shooting ended up being known distance.

Note cards and my Nike arm board. I wrote down ranges and stage instructions on a 3x5 and than discarded it after each stage. I had my dope on the first window, partners underneath than the stage 3x5.

We both elected to carry peltors while extra weight being able to communicate is paramount.

A lot of the mistakes I saw from other teams is being very slow to setup. They didn’t have their equipment optimally ready to get prone and find targets.

Things for next year lighter gun, I ran my 223 PRS trainer and it was 19lbs with a 7-35nf atacr. Too heavy. Gonna really look to knock that back next year as my ruck was 70.

Warmer sleeping bag! Going with an enlightened equipment quilt.

Better food options Peak refuel makes awesome stuff definitely switching that up.

A beer cozy with the bottom cut out. A perfect impromptu lightweight sun shade! Super would have helped on the ovals! Which kicked out butts we couldn’t move to the medium oval cause I couldn’t see it!

@NGCSUGrad09 are you doing a write-up for what you guys brought this year ?

Reactions: tydex21 and ZY100