• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth Sniper Challenge - Park City, KY

Re: Mammoth Sniper Challenge - Park City, KY

Thank you joe, the ROs, all the sponsors and park city resort staff for putting on the match. I heard there were some issues at times but everyone was pretty patient with me a less experienced shooter.

Someone noted that it would be great to place milling targets next to the plates since there began to be problems estimating on shot up targets. It also seems like it would be easier if there were numbers next to targets so that the ROs could have a better time getting on target.

--Ken--
1st place in the Asian shooter category, mammoth sniper challenge.

I have seen problems like that at other matches.

Additionally shooters who are first up after target painting usually have an easier time locating and engaging smaller targets. I have missed before because what was white for the first guy was dirty gray when it was my turn on the line.

Not a whole lot you can do about it unless you factor in time to re-paint for each shooter or leave them shot all day.

I thought the setting was awesome. While cold, it was sunny today and with the proper attire it was not bad at all. At one point I was getting hot in the sunlight.

Good Job guys, keep them going out there! Im coming for the next one
smile.gif
And Im bringing the UTV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the setting was awesome. While cold, it was sunny today and with the proper attire it was not bad at all. At one point I was getting hot in the sunlight.

smile.gif
And Im bringing the UTV. </div></div>

Going up to the ridge on a gator or ATV = Fun
smile.gif

Thanks to Joe, the sponsors and especially all the RO's who endured the cold for us. It was a very Challenging match combining the short times,and small targets then compounded with the cold temperatures.

Thank you all again for a great match.

\

As a shooter in the match, let me first say thank you to Rockcastle, Barrett, GA Precision, Vortex, and many other sponsors which are too numerous to mention. The sponsors really came through on this match and we all need to show them our support. The targets were challenging. Shooting positions were challenging. Movement was challenging. Wind and weather, you guessed it, challenging! I would say it lived up to it's name, the Barrett Mammoth Sniper "Challenge"!

As an RO for the match, I would like to send a big thank you to all the shooters. It was a pleasure to work the match. Some were very serious. Others were first time shooters just there to have a good time. All were safe, courteous, and tried to run my stage within the stage description. You all made my job very easy and for this you should all be commended.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen problems like that at other matches.

Additionally shooters who are first up after target painting usually have an easier time locating and engaging smaller targets. I have missed before because what was white for the first guy was dirty gray when it was my turn on the line.

Not a whole lot you can do about it unless you factor in time to re-paint for each shooter or leave them shot all day. </div></div>
If you consider that every squad started on a different stage, then everyone got a chance to shoot at targets of varying paint stages. To me, that's where target detection comes into play. You are correct about the time constraints. Unless you are shooting one line at one set of scoring targets, simultaneously, it would be impossible to paint for every shooter. Of course doing that would definitely take the challenge out of it.

Glad you made it out to see the match and look forward to having you back to the next one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Targets to small a bit impractical. Don't know about next time </div></div>
Definitely leaned more toward tactical not practical. Loved it myself. I'll definitely be back next time!

Big thanks to Joe and all the staff. We had a blast!!
Hope to make it again.

First match for my spotter Larry. I think he's still in shock.
laugh.gif

I'm coming home a little lighter. My ass froze off at the red barn stage!
smile.gif

See you guys next time!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Targets to small a bit impractical. Don't know about next time </div></div>

What size are / were they? 1 moa, 2 moa, 1/2 moa?</div></div>

All of the above and as advertised. The bottom line is that they were the same size for everybody. There were tons of nice, prone shots, much more stable shooting positions than I was expecting.

A definite key to doing well at the match was the ability to estimate target distances, especially via milling, again as advertised. Also, communicating and working with a good spotter/partner helped tons.

Thanks to Joe, the RO's and sponsors for a great and challenging weekend of shooting! Rockcastle is definitely a great venue for matches of this type.

Thanks to Joe for working so hard on this match, and a special thanks to the RO's who put up with the cold and all of the shooters! You guys were great. This was my first match of this type and I thought it was GREAT! The targets were small, but this was a challenge, not a shoot! Definitely found a ton of skills my partner and I need to/have to work on. Can't wait for the summer match and next January's match.
The prize tables for this match were incredible! Very special thanks to all the sponsors and to Rockcastle for making this match a reality! To the sponsors: you all have definitely gotten my business.
I would also like to thank LoneWolfUSMC for posting up his pics!

Time to start training for the next event!

Thanks too to all the guys on Squad 2, my dad and I had a great time shooting with you guys and learning from you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the setting was awesome. While cold, it was sunny today and with the proper attire it was not bad at all. At one point I was getting hot in the sunlight.

smile.gif
And Im bringing the UTV. </div></div>

Going up to the ridge on a gator or ATV = Fun
smile.gif
</div></div>

Especially a UTV thats 102 HP......
laugh.gif

Good milling, spotting, communicating, gaming, won this match. Hats off to Tim and John, for showing us how it is done. Congrats Wade , Patrick and Dustin, all top five shooters (open) I'm glad I get to shoot with regularly and glad they got it done against one of the largest match I've been too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen problems like that at other matches.......Not a whole lot you can do about it unless you factor in time to re-paint for each shooter or leave them shot all day. </div></div>

Or you can rotate shooters-#1 shoos first first stage, #2 shoots first second stage, etc....

or you can paint the targets with grey spots so it sucks for everyone....

or you can hand out tissues to the criers.....

I wish the budget allowed more travel to matches this year, this woulda been fun.

I don't have a problem with it, you do what you need to do to make the hit.

However in a competition I believe it's beneficial to make it equally challenging for all. When it's pouring rain, a white target or a gray target can be the difference between a hit or miss. I have had it drop my rankings in a match before, but I didn't cry about it. It is what it is.

I want to make it perfectly clear, I am not bitching about anything regarding this match. I didn't shoot it, so I don't have the right to complain about anything. From what I saw a TON of work went into it. There were lots of moving parts and a huge number of shooters. I was only there for a few hours. What I saw makes me definitely want to shoot this next time. Hopefully this time next year I will be able to find a spotter who doesn't mind us getting our asses kicked.

I've been to several of these type matches and <span style="text-decoration: underline">none</span> of them paint targets between squads & shooters and try to make it equal for everyone. It's impossible/impractical. The shooting orders were shuffled each stage to mix it up, that's about the best you can do.

Here is my take as someone who shot and worked the match.

I consider myself a good shooter. I've shot in a lot of Joe's local Sniper Challenges and others and have won or placed well in quite a few. So I came into the match knowing Joe and knowing how his mind works. Needless to say this match was humbling. After being in the lead (of the RO squad) on day 1 I completely tanked on day 2. Was the weather a factor? Yes. Did my spotter miss a few calls? Yes. But my biggest problem was mental, as is the case with most shooters in all types of matches. I made a ton of mistakes and have no one to blame but myself.

Having said that, I feel that this was an excellent match. I learned a lot about my prep and gear and game that I will take with me to other sniper matches as well as 3 gun and other types I shoot.

Consider the fact that some guys who placed very well (Jeremy) have never shot in a match like this before. And others (myself included) who shoot these all the time didn't do as well as they expected.

As to the practical vs. tactical nature of the match I'm honestly not sure what that means. Practical means things you can use everyday. Most of us non-LEO/MIL guys use these types of guns for two things: matches or hunting. Yes we had to mil targets when many other times you can use range finders. Yes some targets were small. But these are all tools to add to your kit to make you better. Almost every stage had targets that were 1MOA or bigger. And on the milling stages you usually had multiple targets within a short distance of a large rectangle or square that was easy to mil. I ran a milling stage and I saw a lot of guys who had never milled before do very well. Because they spent time getting very good estimations on a couple key targets instead of getting shaky numbers on all of them. That's good match management.

The Ridge stage was an elk-hunters paradise. You had a 2MOA target across a canyon with other smaller targets very close by.

Anyway, my point is shooters got to do a lot of things they've never done before. All of which will make you a better shooter if you analyze it and learn from it.

I'd like to personally thank all of the ROs, especially Mark and Bob who worked with me at the Red Barn. You guys all did a great job of keeping things running smoothly.

And I'd agree with Bmarc in thanking all of the competitors who came out. You guys made all of the hard work we put in worth it. I really enjoyed meeting you all and I hope you had a blast.

Finally I'd like to thank the sponsors and Rockcastle. What a fantastic venue to have available for matches. And none of it would be possible without the support from the sponsors.

I hope to see you guys out there again in July.

-Mike

Here is a description of The Ridge Stage.
Targets 18"x 24" plate,12" square 11" diamond, 4x12" rectangle, bonus target is a softball.
Shooting positions 1) prone from elevated dirt berm 2) prone from elevated platform 3)Kneel from beside the platform.
time limit was 4min 30 sec.
on start signal move 5-7 yards to position 1 engage the targets then move to position 2 engage the targets, move to position 3 engage the targets.
Shooters were given 3 min to mill the targets, some did a good job and some were way off. There were 2 keys to doing well on this stage. 1)shooter spotter communication. I saw a few really good shooters waste shots because the spotter did not make the correct calls. 2) make sure you get a hit on the big targets. Several shooters got stuck on the smaller targets and would not change postions to shoot at the big targets again. again.
The distance was around 850 yards some target less some more.
reading the wind was the key on this stage. Saturday was windy with no way to read the wind between the ridges. There were also multiple winds in different directions. Sunday was much calmer and I did see some mirrage.

This is the type of stage you can expect in the summer match.
just practice ranging targets shooting from different positions and shooting with an elevated heart rate. OH yeah the summer match will be a team event with one member carrying a AR15 but both team members shoot both guns. Think Sniper Team Challenge.

I have been 3gunning for about 4 years now and have competed at the nationals, DPMS, Blue Ridge, Benning well hell...you get the idea and I must say this was one well oiled machine!

There was a tremendous amount of work that went into making this match happen and I cannot say enough about Joe, his R.O.'s, the match sponsors and the Rockcastle Shooting Center. This will certainly be on my shooting schedule!

I feel like my shooting family just grew to include a bunch of long range gunners!

It was no secret that Joe's matches are tough and thats what Ben and I trained hard for. I still can't believe what a great finish we had. My new GA Precision rifle performed great and the Vortex Razor HD is an excellent piece of glass!

I would have to add that Mike said it well as "The Ridge" was an elk hunters paradise, I still have that vision in my mind of standing high on that ridge, overlooking the valley to the next ridge, snow on the ground and falling in the wind and thinking "damn those targets look a long ways off"
smile.gif

Had a blast!

Look forward to seeing you guys at the next one,

Jeremy

The list above had a few corrections before awards ceremony. I'm sure someone had a pic of the last one. Very little changed.

That is funny stuff Ace!

In all honesty though, Joe and all his people put on a great match. I hope you and each of your RO's know how much myself and all of the shooters I spoke with appreciate everything it took to make this happen.

Sure, this shoot was friggin hard but I did have a great time. Like someone else said, if it was easy everyone would be there.

Of course, many thanks to the sponsors, that prize table was huge show of support from the industry.

Last and most certianly not least, to the Park Mammoth staff, thank you all, you are wonderful hosts and made us feel beyond welcome. I look forward to many trips back.

Sounds like it was a blast! I feel matches should be won by no more than a 60-70% hit factor, or they are too easy.

LWUSMC-I wasn't implying anything about your statement, it was more from running matches and having the experience of trying very hard to make things fair for each shooter-I was just affirming there's only so much you can do....
There's always folks that whine about something, but they usually get their asses handed to them by folks that spend their energy solving the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I suck.......... </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Speaking of whining-looks like top ten in yout category, not too shabby </span>
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I suck.......... </div></div>

Speaking of whining-looks like top ten in yout category, not too shabby
wink.gif
</div></div>

sure you read that right?

I'll try to describe "the hide" stage.
It was my favorite.
We had to hike up the hill about 400 yards, I guess 100' increase in elevation. Not a lot, but constant, and enough to be a leg burner. It made us old guys pant a bit. Luckily I had time to get heart rate down before starting.
As soon as we were all there the RO's would act quickly to describe the stage and give us target sizes: 5" diamond, 7" diamond, 9"x12" hexagon, 12"x12" square, 8"x16h" silhouette, 12"x12" sq., 10" plate, 10 1/2 " x 13" H rectangle, 17" diamond.
1st 8 targets were for military class, second eight were open, there were no heavy in our squad. I didn't even take down bonuses because I suck. I think the targets started at about 360 and went to 550 but I could be wrong.... usually was.
The targets followed a path made by a vehicle that knocked down tall grass. I thought it was realistic, like a squad walking down a path/swail 10 degrees below us at the first target. Like they were moving left to right at an angle away or towards you.. Each was separated by 25 to 100 yards with just a couple items to help describe locations: a pile of dead trees on the right and a small stand of birch on the left near a crook to the right, another turn in the path to the left. You had to communicate well with your spotter and be on the same page. You also had to remember to call out your target to the RO so he knew which one to watch.... very important or you could hit and he wouldn't give you credit.
They RO's walked us down to the hide, a framed up 5' foot wide dog house with a 8" tree in the middle of the opening.. They gave us about 1 minute to locate targets with our partners, no scopes or ranging equipment.
We were to start at position 1, move to position 2... about a 25 yard run on a half frozen, winding path that led down the hill at an angle and hit the ground. At P2 they had a straight corridor down, about 2 yards wide and about 10 yards long with string laced above it that we were to crawl under. The kids were able to lean back and slide on their butts like they used to slide down steps. If you broke the string you lost a hit on your score. It was just low enough that you couldn't sit up under the lacing.
The clock started on the RO and you had 4:30 to engage targets, run, crawl, range, load, find targets, communicate, move to the next target.
I probably missed something important. Someone can chime in with corrections...
I got 1 shot off, a miss. Old fat guy, gray hair, newbie with no mojo. Pretty embarrassing, but every one was really encouraging.
They want us old guys back because we make 'em look better.

Just kidding....
The help I received was sincere. Thanks to all who gave me pointers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I suck.......... </div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

One could only hope.

loads learned and loads to learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DGUNN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I suck.......... </div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

sure you read that right? </div></div>

ooops, looks like short buses do come in multicam.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DGUNN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I suck.......... </div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

sure you read that right? </div></div>

ooops, looks like short buses do come in multicam.....
</div></div>

can feel the love.....

Just now getting my hands thawed out enough to type.
My hat is off to you guys that have to deal with that type of weather all winter.This Ol Farmboy will stick with Louisiana.

Wanted to thank Joe and all of the RO's for freezing their butts off so we could all shoot the match.I don't think we give enough credit to those guys for the hours they put in.
Thanks again.

Also want to give a Huge "Thank You" to all the sponsors of the match.The prize table was fantastic,and when I spend my shooting dollars it will be with these supporters of this sport.

As usual I learned a lot,(you usually do on a tough course).
After thinking back over the match I realize most,if not all the points I dropped were due to mental mistakes.That is the most frustrating part.

Congratulations to Jeremy, Jeff,John,Tim,Clark and Tom for doing so well in such a tough match.
Hope to shoot with you guys in the future.

Todd

I had a blast in the cold. Big thanks to the RO's, Joe and the Park Mammoth Resort....and especially the sponsors, dang what a prize table!. For this to be the first big long range match held there I think it went very well.

My father and I had the great pleasure of shooting with the Morris family. Such a great group of guys with a great attitude. (Hey Dustin....how does Patrick's boot print feel on your butt??
laugh.gif
) Our group (group 4) was full of good dudes, had a blast shooting with them.

Jason Burnette

Aw Now DK,You know I'm alway's excited about you "Young Guns"showing us old guy's how to get it done.The Old man is not going to take it easy on you next time though.Another one of those "Young Guns" we are all going to have to worry about is Cody Harrison.This was his first time to shoot in any sort of competition and he picked up 11 points.Pretty salty.He also took his"dear Ol Dad".Stomped a mudhole in him and walked it dry.Mick,You might as well get used to it<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^^
Thanks Dad for not mentioning your boys. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: preliator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aw Now DK,You know I'm alway's excited about you "Young Guns"showing us old guy's how to get it done.The Old man is not going to take it easy on you next time though.Another one of those "Young Guns" we are all going to have to worry about is Cody Harrison.This was his first time to shoot in any sort of competition and he picked up 11 points.Pretty salty.He also took his"dear Ol Dad".Stomped a mudhole in him and walked it dry.Mick,You might as well get used to it<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^^
Thanks Dad for not mentioning your boys. </div></div> </div></div>

Todd, I will never get "used to it". It may happen again but that doesn't mean I have to get use to it. In all reality I am just glad he enjoyed him self. We are prepping for the next match now.

Well better go get the mud off.

Mick

A big thanks to all of the sponsors and specifically for GAP rifles for donating the bolt rifle for the top score (John Sommers).
Because he is a nice guy John agreed to let me break it in and agreed to let a new shooter that I am working with utilize the rifle.
I have spent the last two days getting the rifle broke in. It shoots at least as good as advertised (3/8 moa guarantee). The barrel cleaned up so well that I gave up cleaning after every round after firing shot #5. After that it was shoot 3 then clean until round #20. Each of the groups between cleaning had all three bullet holes touching except for one group where I pulled a shot high and right.
This morning I went out and shot 9 rounds on paper to check cold bore & verify scope zero at 100 yards then shot 20 rounds at steel to get zero's out to 640 yards. The last 5 shots wer on a piece of 640 yard steel that is 10" wide x 14" tall and the 5 shot group was about 4" high by about 5" wide. The breeze was blowing about 5-7 mph so I shot pretty quickly so it would not have a chance to switch up on me.
I will clean it one last time and call the rifle broke in.

George and his crew of gunsmiths build an outstanding rifle and support the sport with their time and skill and money to build a rifle worthy of the prize table. They also compete in the matches. Can't ask for a better combination.

Thanks a bunch from the Oklahoma guys.

I'm really late chiming in here with my gratitude to the sponsors, the match directors and RO's. To say I had a great time would be an understatement. It gave me some great ideas to break up the mundaneness of my 'training' methods here at home. Going to have some new plates and mounting methods made up, as well as figure out a way to mount up golf balls and tennis balls to shoot from alternative positions.

I had no problems with target sizes, there were targets at each stage that were plenty large enough to engage. I like the trick pulled with the diamond targets, and having to think outside the box and remember some good 'ol high school level math to get the correct measurements. My mil'ing needs some work, however I think that I was close enough in most cases, just reading the wind correctly was the hard part.

I also now know that to be more competative at matches like this, I need to have DBM in a pretty bad way. I ended up single feeding most of the time, but if I had 10rd mags that I could quickly and easily implement, I think that I could have gotten several more targets shot in the match.

As it stands 18th position in military wasn't a bad turnout for me IMO. This was my first match of this type. I've been to 3 other matches before, however 2 were f-class type, and one was a 'sniper match', however there were no time limits, and it was a KD range in 100y increments.

I'm going to gather some friends that would like to do these types of matches, and we'll put on our own mini-matches to work on getting used to these types of pressures and stresses, and be more proficient so we can talk smack to the Oklahoma boys, lol.

I didn't get to meet as many other shooters as I would have liked, however I was one of the few wearing the black Manners hats with the nickname "shortbus" on the back. I did get to meet Chiller, Knight11bb4, and scotts1w. I'm sure there are others in there, but I don't remember the names. The way the event was run, there wasn't a lot of time for socializing outside of your own squad.

All in all, I had a great time, and i'm looking forward to my next match. I can't be sure if i'll be able to attend the July match, I don't have an AR. I have a really good friend with one that lives here in town, and i'm sure he'd loan it to me, however he's going to be PCS'ing from Leavenworth around June or July. I will however have a suppressor the next time, which will be nice for my shooting partner, make it easier to stay on the spotter for spotting impacts.

The cold didn't bother me, I was plenty warm with the exception of my feet. I was wearing my old army leather boots, and 2 pairs of stocks was still not sufficient. I would have worn my gortex boots, but they don't fit right for walking, and I thought we'd be doing a lot more walking. Next winter's Mammoth match, i'll know.

Once again, it was a pleasure, I had a great time, and i'm looking foward to more matches, and meeting more great people.

Branden (shortbus)

I'm pumped about the July match too. If you lived closer to TN I would let shoot one of mine, just to make sure we have another great group of competitors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... I like the trick pulled with the diamond targets, and having to think outside the box and remember some good 'ol high school level math to get the correct measurements....</div></div>

Explain please. In all of the matches that I've been to, target sizes were always Height/width (as in an X-Y coordinate system). Was this not the case, and if not, why was this not conveyed to the participants?...

Thanks,

Bill

If you rotate a square target 45 degrees you get a diamond shaped target that has a horizontal or vertical dimension that is larger than either of the dimensions of the plate. Typically you do math to calculate the long dimensions of the diamond.
For example, a square plate that is 6" x 6" would normally mill utilizing either of the edge dimensions. If you turn it 45 degrees you have a horizontal dimension from point to point of 8 1/2", which allows you a greater dimension to mil.
I utilize that same method quite often to mil square or rectangular plates by rotating the rifle so that you can mil from point to point.
It is common practice at the UKD matches held in Western Oklahoma for square targets to be rotated in that manner.
It gives you more windage allowance as long as your elevation is spot on. Because the targets have gotten smaller and smaller in the last 10 years it helps a bit on making the milling dimension a bit larger. Not that I would personally call anything smaller than 1 mil practical, but every little bit helps.

Hi Bruce,

As an engineer, I fully understand the geometry.

When target descriptions were given on the "Hide" stage, it was listed as 5 1/2" diamond, 7" diamond, etc. I (and evidently everyone else on my squad) understood this to mean the measurment across the corners (X-Y axis). IF this was actually a 5.5" square plate turned at 45 degrees, that would explain the resulting 3 total impacts on 8 possible targets from 17 shooters times 20 rds/shooter (avg.) for a hit ratio of SUCK....

Basically, 5.5" diamond does NOT mean 5.5" square plate turned 45 degrees, unless that was explained in the pre-stage brief (and there was no mention of that)....

Thanks,

Bill

we were specifically told tip to tip dimensions, 5.5" and 7". can't say what everyone else was told, only squad 6.

On the hide stage, all diamond dimensions were point to point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the hide stage, all diamond dimensions were point to point. </div></div>

Appreciate the confirmation - Dust remover's post had me confused talking about "calculating" dimensions....

Thanks,

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the hide stage, all diamond dimensions were point to point. </div></div>

Then that was the only stage that had the dimensions stated that way as that wasn't the case on any other stages.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Then that was the only stage that had the dimensions stated that way as that wasn't the case on any other stages.

Branden </div></div>The tobacco barn only had one diamond. It was an 8" square turned as a diamond. When ranging the target that was 1/2 as far and then that one, if you only came up with 100 yards more then it would throw up a red flag. Eye expediant ranging would tell you it was a lot more than 100 yards further. Some caught it and some didn't. On that one, I ranged it point to point and realized it couldn't be right. Instead of doing the a^2 + b^2 =c^2 method like I should have, or turning my optic to range the edge, I just added 100 yards. I still ended up about 50 yards short. Sometimes things are put into stages to make folks think outside the box and that target certainly did that. All triangles were given from point to point. I honestly can't remember which other stages had diamonds. I got to see the other stages once when I shot them. I got to see how people dealt with the target at the tobacco barn first hand as an RO.