• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners Composite Stocks Estimated Lead Times

Has anyone seen a Medium action LRH? Ordered one in July of 22 and still no word yet.

I ordered 2 LRHs a medium and long action in December during the holiday sale, got the medium in early June and the long action in early May.

Here’s the medium with a lone peak razor Ti.

Attachments

• IMG_5389.jpeg
    IMG_5389.jpeg
    684.2 KB · Views: 95
Have had to send one back to get fixed and Tom himself called me to make sure it was taken care of correctly. They'll make it right.

A. I'm sure they would make it right...eight months from now. I want to hunt with this rifle this fall and am going to have to 7-axis this thing to make it work.
B. Why not make it right the first time?
C. Three out of my last four stocks have had significant issues and/or deviations from the agreed upon specs.

I really, really don't want to go back to McMillan, but geez...
if you didn't call them you're only hurting yourself. Mine was fixed in a week.

Reactions: Redvanes
Don’t be a dick. It’s not moot but with sometimes people having issues getting emails through to any company a phone call is a quick and easy was to get some help. Pics can be sent once contact is made.
That’s the strategy I’ve always used when dealing with customer service; call, explain, get the rep’s email, send the photos. Works pretty well usually. I’ve not had to do that with manners, but I assume it would be successful there as well.

I just received a new LRH a couple weeks ago, unfortunately the bolt bottoms out on the stock well before it hits full battery. Mistakes happen and Jim replied within minutes to my email. I sent him some photos and a short time later he had a prepaid shipping label sent over to me. I am confident they will make it right and in a timely manner.

With that being said, I utilized the specified action from the order, and it seems like the bolt handle clearance would be something that would be an easy QC check. Hopefully the repair looks good as I ordered a clear carbon with gloss clear coat.

I just want to know how such a distinguished company that's been in business this long and the top tear in it's industry makes this many dumb mistakes? How many customers can they afford to lose?

I have been wanting to say this for a while now but the way some folks on here talk everything Manners touches is just a pile of shit, in my personal experience that can not be further from the truth. Manners makes an exceptional product, The few Manners stocks I have look great feel great work great, only one time did I have any kind of an issue with a stock and the next day after emailing them I received a call from Tom Manners. He was great to talk to got the issue resolved right there and I had a return shipping label sent to me the same day, I had the stock sent back to them and back in my hands within 10 days. That is what I would call great customer service, in my opinion some of the best CS I have ever dealt with, right up there with some of the other great company's that support this site. If you don't like it get rid of it sell it, use it as a club, burn it whatever, there are plenty of other stock options out there, but I'm sick to fucking death of y'all coming on here and bashing Manners Stocks.

I ordered a LRH in early February, received it two weeks ago. Fit was fine but I was very disappointed in the color. I ordered High Plains camo. As I was unwrapping it out of the bubble wrap I kept thinking "this is wrong, this is just black." Well it is carbon fiber but the sponge paint is so light you can barely see it. I know every stock is different but it is no way close to the High Plains example on their site. I also know that the target or animal doesn't care what color the gun is but went you pay $1K for a custom stock it should look the way you want. Most of their camo stocks have a lot of color and represent the pattern. This LRH shows a lot of the carbon fiber and has minimal paint. I that what others got?

I called them and they said they could repaint it and charge me for it. I sent is back with a picture off their site of what I wanted.

Waiting to see what I get back.

Reactions: Genin
I just received a new LRH a couple weeks ago, unfortunately the bolt bottoms out on the stock well before it hits full battery. Mistakes happen and Jim replied within minutes to my email. I sent him some photos and a short time later he had a prepaid shipping label sent over to me. I am confident they will make it right and in a timely manner.

With that being said, I utilized the specified action from the order, and it seems like the bolt handle clearance would be something that would be an easy QC check. Hopefully the repair looks good as I ordered a clear carbon with gloss clear coat.
My stock was returned to me today and looks amazing, they did a nice job with fixing the clear coat and the action works well now.

Only problem.......the LOP is about 13", the rifle feels like it was made for a smaller person. I double checked and their standard length of pull is 13.5 so this one is going to have to go back and get re-ordered. Hopefullly they will set it as a priority.

I should mention I have had 8-10 manners over the years and love them. Hopefully they can get my LRH right.

All my rifles have Manners stocks, luckily I have sourced most of my used/new Manners on the classified sections on the interwebz for my custom builds. Had a few that my builder included on a full build. Definitely the best stock ever.

I direct ordered my first custom Manners EH1 10 months ago and I emailed and checked on the progress based on the original timelines “Jim” gave me when he confirmed my build/order. I expected a longer than promised timeframe based on the thread here which was fine. Where I have an issue is after being told the stock would be finished in 2 weeks, then told another 2 weeks more after the first 2 weeks went to 6 weeks….we basically get to the stock technically 4-5 months overdue and “Jim” not responding to emails anymore and Customer Service not calling back. Their auto attendant asks you to leave your name and order number and someone will return your call. I guess it’s like the email, it’s a response whenever they feel like it, or maybe never. Just an odd business model.

I’m not dissing Manners, but it seems like a company held in such high standard by the shooting community would want to be on the front end of communication with their customers updating timelines when the build goes over 5-6 months, which is their self imposed written and verbal timeline. If it’s a 12 month wait, change your website wording, and instruct your CS order takers to tell buyers that upfront. Give people realistic updates. Pretty simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: P&Y
I think this is a good time of year to order, I would imagine that the hunting season is the biggest wave of orders.

I want to give my $.02 (probably not even worth that.....haha).

Tom Manners and his company have rightfully earned their reputation by supporting our niche in the firearms industry for decades now. Since meeting Tom in 2006 and working with him and his crew through the years, I say with confidence he is putting out a desirable product while continously chasing customer demand by increasing production capability and streamlining production methods on the fly. Also, there is a fine balance between growing a business larger and maintaining a personal relationship with the customer.

I agree the mistakes above should not happen and can be corrected, for the most part, by improved QA/QC........as with any business.

This niche in the firearms industry has plenty of pros/cons.....unfortunately one of the cons happens to be single suppliers. If you want a Manners design.......it comes from Manners only.

Maybe Tom needs a price increase to allow for final inspection time before shipping? I am sure he will figure it out.

Just some things to think about.

I like Tom as an individual and as a supporter for an industry I am grateful to play a small part in.

If getting a quality stock in the hands of a valued customer means I have to install a few missed flushcups and clearance an inlet here and there......so be it.

Ern

I agree they can make an excellent product. When issues and dropped service become the norm it shows a customer their value to the company.

Maybe Tom needs a price increase to allow for final inspection time before shipping?

If getting a quality stock in the hands of a valued customer means I have to install a few missed flushcups and clearance an inlet here and there......so be it.

Respectfully disagree.

The premium price and lead time should include final inspection.

I personally am not ok working on my "custom" stock.

Respectfully disagree.

The premium price and lead time should include final inspection.

I personally am not ok working on my "custom" stock.
I am not saying Manners is without fault. No doubt their are some final inspection issues.

I guess you need to decide as a consumer if Manners can fill your stock needs. It seems like there are plenty of other customers who do......hence the lead-time and company growth. Perhaps this is part of the problem, given the demand and leadtimes people are ok with getting a "less than perfect" and accepting it or have someone else bring it to perfection.

Maybe this is why companies like LRI buy flatops and finish it out for the customer during the build process. Less chance of something getting missed when there is closer communication and lower quantity shuffled through.

Ern

I am not saying Manners is without fault. No doubt their are some final inspection issues.

I guess you need to decide as a consumer if Manners can fill your stock needs. It seems like there are plenty of other customers who do......hence the lead-time and company growth. Perhaps this is part of the problem, given the demand and leadtimes people are ok with getting a "less than perfect" and accepting it or have someone else bring it to perfection.

Maybe this is why companies like LRI buy flatops and finish it out for the customer during the build process. Less chance of something getting missed when there is closer communication and lower quantity shuffled through.

Ern

I agree, that was my point. I feel as customers we deserve better.

Received my stock last night. Put it together this morning and it doesn’t fit. Action screws will need to be cut down and or pillars installed. To make it work. First manners stock I bought dropped right in. This one not close. If the action screws are over 15 inch pounds it binds up the bolt and the bolt won’t operate. Super fun. Waiting on a call back from manners. My guess is I’ll get to pay my smith to make it right and turn this 7 month wait time in to 8/9 plus another 200 bucks. Thanks manners!

Received my stock last night. Put it together this morning and it doesn’t fit. Action screws will need to be cut down and or pillars installed. To make it work. First manners stock I bought dropped right in. This one not close. If the action screws are over 15 inch pounds it binds up the bolt and the bolt won’t operate. Super fun. Waiting on a call back from manners. My guess is I’ll get to pay my smith to make it right and turn this 7 month wait time in to 8/9 plus another 200 bucks. Thanks manners!
Manners will remake the stock for you, they have recently had to do the same(for different reasons). Unfortunately your wait time will start over.

Was it a mini-chassis or advertised to be a drop in fit? Trimming screws is fairly normal with any stock/chassis, and if they don’t have the mini-chassis, pillars are required, or so I thought.

Drop in. The front action screw hole doesn’t appear to have enough room to put the pillar in. Time will tell.

Unless it has a mini chassis, it's not drop in. And if it needs pillars, it doesn't have a chassis. Modifying screws is expected.

Just trim the screws. It simple with a dremel and would take less time than it does to call or post here.

Just trim the screws. It simple with a dremel and would take less time than it does to call or post here.
So it’s normal to need to trim action screw over a half inch? My first manners was spot on. Hints why I posted. Also hard to cut action screws when at work but thanks for pointing out the amount of time it takes

So it’s normal to need to trim action screw over a half inch? My first manners was spot on. Hints why I posted. Also hard to cut action screws when at work but thanks for pointing out the amount of time it takes

Half an inch? You said over 15 in/lbs binds it. If it’s a half inch over you wouldn’t be able to work the bolt.

And didn’t mean you had to trim them this very second but that it’s easy to do but keep getting on the phone. Lol They probably won’t be open until Monday so could probably trim before then don’t you think?

Trim ~0.080”, yes. 1/2”, no. My TCS required the front screw trimmed, but not the back. My LRH was opposite. Both with Impact actions. But they’re both mini-chassis. If you’re truly a 1/2” off and don’t have the screws mixed up, something is wrong - but if it doesn’t have pillars installed, there isn’t a solid datum to reference.

I just took about 1/8th off the back one and need to take twice that off the front one with a new LRH w/ chassis and APA DBM. These aren't chassis's.

You would be correct the bolt doesn’t operate screws aren’t mixed. There’s a fancy feature called speaker that I put the phone on while I work through the issues. I called during the hours and was told some one would call back today which didn’t happen. When I get to days off or free time yes I will do what needs to be done. But for now the stock came less than expected.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
If you have to take off 1/2 an inch, either the screw isn't the right one, or the barrel would be under the barrel channel.

Guessing it is an inlet stock with no chassis? If so it’s designed for pillars and bedding to be installed. The screws are likely too long and made to be installed by a professional gunsmith.

FYI for anyone ordering a "ready to ship" stock. Few weeks ago I ordered a LRH w/ full arca rail "ready to ship". Was super excited. I had just saved enough and this was available right before the season I drew a coveted tag for!

Get the stock missing the rail. Instead there's a note saying it will ship when they get one. This wasn't mentioned when I called in the order and I was still charged for it. I'm disappointed and feel duped. I hunt standing and shoot from a tripod so the rail is essential.

Call and tell them I just want to return the stock. Guy on the phone says he will send me a return label. Wait a few days - nothing. Call a few days later, lady says she'll send me something for the return - nothing. Called again, you guessed it, same song and dance so I go and pay to send it back. At this point I just want my refund! It's a major purchase for me.

They recieved the stock a week ago and I still haven't gotten a refund or had any correspondence. It's like they are doing you a favor taking your business. Lesson learned. This thread should include all the back and forth for the first time fails when figuring lead times.

Last edited:
@RobertB whats going on with Manners? This thread is starting to get littered with bad customer experience regarding QC on both shipments and on the stocks themselves. Long lead times has been something we’ve all come to accept, but not coupled with incorrect stocks and QC issues. That’s especially gutting for a customer who’s waited a long time for their stock.

I was planning to place an order for quite a few stocks but now am going to hold off until there’s some clarity around the large number of incorrect shipments, defects, and handling of these situations. I love your stocks and own many but this is really disheartening and I feel like deserves and explanation for the community that has supported the company for years.

Last edited:
I was planning on ordering a custom stock and called in about two weeks ago. I have always wanted a Manners. The person I spoke with was so clueless about which stocks fit my action, and what was available to be customized. The person sent me and invoice and I ended up just ordering an MDT. I needed to go another route after my experience.
*I’m not stating any details about the person because i don’t want to get anyone in trouble.*

@RobertB whats going on with Manners? This thread is starting to get littered with bad customer experience regarding QC on both shipments and on the stocks themselves. Long lead times has been something we’ve all come to accept, but not coupled with incorrect stocks and QC issues. That’s especially gutting for a customer who’s waited a long time for their stock.

I was planning to place an order for quite a few stocks but now am going to hold off until there’s some clarity around the large number of incorrect shipments, defects, and handling of these situations. I love your stocks and own many but this is really disheartening and I feel like deserves and explanation for the community that has supported the company for years.
Not sure on that to be honest. We are making and selling more stocks than ever by a long shot. We’ve been working to automate many of the popular models to keep it streamlined and increase the quality. I see much more good results than bad but the bad is always much louder than success.

I will be happy to help you in any way but please keep in mind I don’t work in QC, production, or returns so I have to go back and get info in those depts. I can still track down the people to handle any of that stuff so hit me up if I can.

Again, happy to help if I can but would need something more specific to ask about.