• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners T2A vs. T4A

benjaminzero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Currently researching stocks for a SPS-T AAC .308 I have on the way. I have had limited time behind MCM HTG and A5, AICS, and Manners T3 and T4A. The T4A was by far the most comfortable in my hands. I understand the grip is essentially the same but slightly shorter on the T2A, but I had room to spare.

I am most interested in users opinions on the forends and Butt-Hook or lack thereof for general purpose use, particularly for alternate positions. 90% of my shooting is range/target shooting with a rear bag, but it will see field use for hunting. I dont currently shoot in comps but it is a serious future consideration. I know this is subjective, but looking for general opinions and experience to make an educated decision without being able to get behind a T2A. I dont have the budget for multiple platforms, just the best all around choice.

Re: Manners T2A vs. T4A

Sorry I can't help much, I too am looking at similar stocks to you. I want the T2 due to being of a small stature but also want a butt hook. The nearest option I have going would be a mcmillan A3-5.

If only the T2 came with butt hook. I want the new chasis system to boot

good luck finding what you are after.

If you are using a rear bag, then you definitely do not want a hook! You want the butt of the stock to slide easily in the rear bag. I love the T2 myself and had a clone of it made using exotic woods. It is a great design IMO and very comfortable to handle.

If you have a sophisticated bench setup where elevation is determined by the front rest and all the stock does is ride the rear bag, the T4 will be fine. I shoot from a bipod with a sock under the buttstock. Sometimes I'll use a rabbit ear on the bench. The T2 is much better in these instances, because you can move the bag or sock fore/aft to tune elevation.

John

I have a pair of T2a's After trying several stock with hooks I became frustrated with the lack of precise elevation adjustment with a rear bag that the taper allows for. From now on, all my stocks will have a tapered rear stock.

FWIW, I have a B&C Medalist A2 vert. grip that is similar at half the cost that works quite well I use it on my practice rifle.

CM

i agree tapered stocks are more field friendly. i prefer to just use a tab sling and grip on to the rigid part of it as a rear rest. the butthook always seemed to catch on something for me also, no more a5 or t4's for me, but its all just personal preference.

I have a T4 and a T4A. I like the butthook for some applications. But it isn't field friendly. I think my next stock will be a T2A. I really like the butthook but it just isn't as fast in the field.

Talk about good timing. I plan to order an SPS AAC of my this week, and was also strongly considering a Manners T4. I'll be watching closely.

Great info so far. Looking like the T2A and mini-chassis is at the top of the list. Any other opinions are appreciated.

Talk about BAD timing.

Actually, I was just asking my self this same question last week, and was concerned about the butt hook stock used with rear bags. I went ahead and ordered the T4 middle part of last week. This weekend was my first time handling a butt hook stock (didn't know I was going to have the opportunity), and I think the tapered butt would serve me much better. Seeing this thread is the icing on the cake. Hopefully production hasn't started on the T4 and it's not too late to switch, I'll find out tomorrow I guess.

I actually prefer the flat bottom of the T4A coming from my HS stock. Consistency in rear bag placement means alot to me. Especially rapid drills. As long as you keep the same pressure on the bag it's going to stay the same elevation no matter what.

Probably in my head.

EDIT- It doesn't matter if you have a butt hook or not. It just matters how far it is from the butt end. The reason I say that is because most people keep it closest to the butt anyway.

I said butt a lot huh?

Well, I did my part to stimulate the economy today, I ordered a Remington 700 SPS AAC and a Manners T2A with the mini chassis. The stocks are running 15 weeks out.

I went with a T3 for my most recent build

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...375#Post1887375

and I will tell ya my reasoning. I've got an M1A sittin in an McMillan M3A stock. Also got a GAP M24 in an HS precision stock. TO ME the "vertical grips" and thumb shelf are more at home laying in the prone or on a bench. I tried to carry my M1A one season for deer and it was just not comfortable in the hand while carrying. The Manners T3 is comfortable as all hell for carry or "ergonomics". Just givin ya my opinion cause you said you might try and use it as a general purpose and possibly tactical sniper type matches, well that what I built the Manners T3 for, to be able to shoot from alternate positions from which to me PERSONALLY dont think is very comfortable with the vertical thumbshelf styles, maybe I have nancy wrists or something but that's my opinion

My buddy just put a T2 on a 5R this week. Customer Service was unreal spelled super good. Rig is very light (for what it is). I was 24hrs from pulling the pin on a T2 Found a LNIB A3 for less money. Comparing both Side by side. From the bolt notch back A3 T2 is very close to the same. Both stocks are stiff as a prom night dick. Both are high quality. I do not like a butt hook either. Next stock will be a T2 with a mini cassis for a 223AI build. T2 or A3 is gonna be how long you want to wait and what you like to say to your buddies.

Go with the T2a. Much more slim and versitile as far as shooting. The butt hook on my mcmillian a5 pisses me off some times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwatson308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the T2a. Much more slim and versitile as far as shooting. The butt hook on my mcmillian a5 pisses me off some times. </div></div>

Why dig up a 2 year old thread?