• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

King of the Hill

I told the pupster to place for the pic and then climbed up on the top and threw him into the soft snow on the other side.

He disappeared for a quick second and shot back out of the hole with me in his sights. Heard a sonic crack and then the 84lbs pup launched into my rib cage and drilled me down the other side of the bank.

He returned to claim his rightful spot as the King of the Hill as I dusted myself off.

Caution: adding several feet of snow to an motivated pup can be dangerous to your health!

IMG_1246.JPG

I’d like to hear more about Angus The Wooly Bastard, sounds like a great working dog.

I used him for my trapline and a decoy dog. One of those once in a lifetime dogs that just understood me. He knew exactly what I was hunting, birds coyotes, cats, shooting jackrabbits. He was a true alpha male and the only one I have ever had. We had our differences but unlike other dogs I have trained, with him it was a mutual respect thing. When I was gone he ruled the house. My wife hated him when I was gone because he thought he was the man of the house. Until one time some people tried coming in the yard. He ran them off and when he came back he had blood in his muzzle. He loved kids and would always follow them around to play and watch. He loved my girls. There were people he liked and people he hated and you knew in an instant what it would be when he first met someone. I dont know if he was reading what I thought about people or he had the same taste in people as I did. Damn. Time for some single malt...

I used him for my trapline and a decoy dog. One of those once in a lifetime dogs that just understood me. He knew exactly what I was hunting, birds coyotes, cats, shooting jackrabbits. He was a true alpha male and the only one I have ever had. We had our differences but unlike other dogs I have trained, with him it was a mutual respect thing. When I was gone he ruled the house. My wife hated him when I was gone because he thought he was the man of the house. Until one time some people tried coming in the yard. He ran them off and when he came back he had blood in his muzzle. He loved kids and would always follow them around to play and watch. He loved my girls. There were people he liked and people he hated and you knew in an instant what it would be when he first met someone. I dont know if he was reading what I thought about people or he had the same taste in people as I did. Damn. Time for some single malt...

Damn dude.... Friggin harshing my mellow.
I'll drink a shot to Angus.

Great trapline pic. Makes me long for my youth.
IMG_20170916_135633341_HDR.jpg

When I posted this pic I thought my Doberman/Shepherd was in the pic....he is in one but this ain't it. I never took him on the line though.

Last edited:
Man, love those Airedales. I grew up with a couple and had a couple more as an adult. I did my daughter a solid and got her a rescue Airedale for her dog. I miss them all. Awesome dogs and greatly underappreciated. Stuck with the wife's dog now. :rolleyes:
20181012_170844.jpg

The boys on the morning recon.

i-CKsNvDq-XL.jpg

This was 10 yards from where I found a headless deer carcass dumped a few weeks ago. Performing an autopsy to determine if it was a car strike or poach job.
Oregon has a new law allowing road kill to be harvested as of Jan. 1. Now people are taking the backstrap and leaving the rest for cougar and coyote bait in the area. The qualifier is you have to take the harvested head into Fish and Wildlife.
i-jdnFPZM-L.jpg

Jack is a shep lab mix. He is very protective of his territory. I can take him to the vet or the dog park and he's friendly with other animals and people. He will go to the neighbor's house and play with their dogs and their grandchildren. They will bring him home and when they get to the property line he will growl and let them know not to enter the property.
20180923_153811.jpg

His normal evening spot
MVIMG_20190223_214225.jpg

The crap dogs have to put up with.

Attachments

• 5135ABB7-450C-45F5-9697-C736845B18F2.jpeg
    5135ABB7-450C-45F5-9697-C736845B18F2.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: Snake-Eyes
This is my “grand-dog” oldest Son has him.
Chaos disappeared out of the yard one day and was found about 2 weeks later, 40+ miles from my Son’s house. some asshole had shot him in the face, luckily someone took him to a local vet who got him back home. We believe someone stole him for him to get that far. He is recovering good.
F12CB75C-EC1D-4BBB-B559-9B735FDE74C8.jpeg

This is my “grand-dog” oldest Son has him.
Chaos disappeared out of the yard one day and was found about 2 weeks later, 40+ miles from my Son’s house. some asshole had shot him in the face, luckily someone took him to a local vet who got him back home. We believe someone stole him for him to get that far. He is recovering good. View attachment 7032134
I'd have to agree on the attempted theft. Mals are super attached to their people. Since he was shot, the perp probably found out why they're called Maligators ?

New family member today............a couple of days shy of 3 months, and a couple of pounds short of 40...........Bermese Mountain Dog..........as sweet as can be.............

Attachments

• IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    358 KB · Views: 132
New family member today............a couple of days shy of 3 months, and a couple of pounds short of 40...........Bermese Mountain Dog..........as sweet as can be.............

They are amazing dogs.
The company next door to us had one. (which unfortunately died of digestive problems).
Beautiful & friendly.

Reactions: John_in_WYO
She is a sweetheart............the two local cats have yet to make friends, but I think they will..............

When my wife and I were younger, we had Newfies. They're similar in some ways, large dogs, great dispositions as well. I really want a Berner and I really envy you (y)(y)(y)(y)?

I love a catahoula they are great dogs to have around, I had a female that every 30 minutes would make a round on my 180 acres. Never had a coyote or hog come anywhere near the house. The UPS driver ran her over to say I was pissed is an understatement which is probably why they leave the packages at the front gate. When my GSD leaves this world I will get another

Reactions: Jimmay
I love a catahoula they are great dogs to have around, I had a female that every 30 minutes would make a round on my 180 acres. Never had a coyote or hog come anywhere near the house. The UPS driver ran her over to say I was pissed is an understatement which is probably why they leave the packages at the front gate. When my GSD leaves this world I will get another

They can be a handful if they can’t roam. We have 6 acres but surrounded by 600 acres of woods and hayfields. My old female would throw possums and raccoons at the back door to show us that she’s been on duty. She brought us a 20-30 pound pig home once. She had smoked pork with her dinner for a week!

The chain of command at the house was Me, Trixie, my wife, the kids, then everything else that was waiting to die!

Hondo is more laid back. He roams around but not far. He can track a deer like crazy though. You cut a hair on a deer and he will find it!