• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MasterPiece Arms Unveiling A New Chassis

I'm guessing this will come with the option of an AI inlet...?

Also keep in mind, since I don't remember if he mentions it in the video, the chassis design provides an opportunity for shooters to potentially in the not too distant future get custom molded grips that are made to order.

Also keep in mind, since I don't remember if he mentions it in the video, the chassis design provides an opportunity for shooters to potentially in the not too distant future get custom molded grips that are made to order.
He mentions it. He basically said the way they make the grips makes it easy to customize. IDK if that means, X number of people need to request a modification before they justify making a new version or if it is literally made to order. The biggest problem I see with this is that you don't have the luxury of trying out all the different grips, thumb shelves and trigger finger offsets.

He mentions it. He basically said the way they make the grips makes it easy to customize. IDK if that means, X number of people need to request a modification before they justify making a new version or if it is literally made to order. The biggest problem I see with this is that you don't have the luxury of trying out all the different grips, thumb shelves and trigger finger offsets.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Custom molded grips, as in you do an imprint at home of your hand with some kind of imprint kit, and they 3D print a custom molded grip for your hand specifically.

The grip looks to be the same as the current material, which MPA states can be shaped. The are really thick, and I have taken a decent amount of material out of them. I guess I don't understand how this really changes anything. They could simply make different grips (width, offset, distance) for the current chassis and still give shooters the option to wrap the thumb. Seems like they are trying to create a market for grips at the expense of removing those that wrap from the potential client list.

I was interested in this but after seeing the video I am completely sold. This is a great design! I would order one right now but it's bad timing for me. I'll get one on order soon.

The grip looks to be the same as the current material, which MPA states can be shaped. The are really thick, and I have taken a decent amount of material out of them. I guess I don't understand how this really changes anything. They could simply make different grips (width, offset, distance) for the current chassis and still give shooters the option to wrap the thumb. Seems like they are trying to create a market for grips at the expense of removing those that wrap from the potential client list.

Obviously there is a reason they can’t/haven’t done it with current design. I’m assuming because the A2 style module doesn’t have enough support without having to make the grip pretty damn sturdy.

It’s not like they think people who like the current design will just buy this new one for the grips. If they could design multiple grips for the current BA chassis and be profitable, they wouldn’t just leave that off the table all these years.

The current BA design doesn't allow for the front fingers to go higher up the grip and behind the triggerguard, like most chassis systems. The new Matrix now has an open area between the trigger guard and the grip allowing shooters a higher grip on the rifle, similar to some traditional stock designs, and then subsequently the ability to wrap their thumbs over.

The current BA design doesn't allow for the front fingers to go higher up the grip and behind the triggerguard, like most chassis systems. The new Matrix now has an open area between the trigger guard and the grip allowing shooters a higher grip on the rifle, similar to some traditional stock designs, and then subsequently the ability to wrap their thumbs over.

I was talking about the material of the grip -- the existing ones can be shaped, and the new ones look to be of the same material so presumably they can be shaped as well.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Custom molded grips, as in you do an imprint at home of your hand with some kind of imprint kit, and they 3D print a custom molded grip for your hand specifically.

I cannot imagine they would be printing grips...but if they want tough ones I've got the materials ;)

Really? That would be awesome!
I had a custom grip printed for my MPA and can tell you it's not cost effective to do a one off. $200+ for the right material printed.
Basically the right way to do it from the guys I spoke to, is to print a base grip to make a mold and you can drive your price down through molding vs printing, but the initial costs on the printing and molds don't make sense to do custom grips for everyone. I'm not an expert in this space and somebody might chime in that they can print these for $30, but that was not my experience.

My takeaway from watching the video with Phil, is that they will have more variants of the 3 main grip components for the new chassis and that shooters would be able to essentially create their own custom grip based on the number of different combinations.

Not to derail the thread, but if you want a true 'fit like a glove' feel, I'd suggesting finding the grip closest to your final/prefered shape and using Sugru (moldable, plastic adhesive) to build up the final shape. It's extremely durable and works well. We've been using it in competitive archery to fine tune feel for years

Reactions: THEIS
Hi,

Great looking chassis!!

Problem with "custom molded" grips, etc etc is that it will feel way way odd when you change to weakside shots.

Like running a baseball glove on wrong hand.

BUT it would be interesting to see how a 2 sided aka RH/LH combo grip could be made as to where your palms line up on either side, your trigger finger lines up properly to trigger from either side and your support fingers maybe have to compromise feel a little.....Not sure but bet someone with more creative mind than myself could come up with a solution.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
I had a custom grip printed for my MPA and can tell you it's not cost effective to do a one off. $200+ for the right material printed.
Basically the right way to do it from the guys I spoke to, is to print a base grip to make a mold and you can drive your price down through molding vs printing, but the initial costs on the printing and molds don't make sense to do custom grips for everyone. I'm not an expert in this space and somebody might chime in that they can print these for $30, but that was not my experience.

My takeaway from watching the video with Phil, is that they will have more variants of the 3 main grip components for the new chassis and that shooters would be able to essentially create their own custom grip based on the number of different combinations.

$200 for a printed grip?! I hope there was a lot more than printing in that cost. Short of an absurd PEEK/PEKK grip no other materials would come close to making your cost on purely a part anywhere near $200.

cause that makes a 15lb rifle! wow, 6.4lbs is a boss hog.
That's light!

Jokes aside. I've hunted with AIs. 15-17# makes a nice range gun. Or prone gun. Or comp gun. Or do it all with a proof and lighter scope if you dont mind a little more weight.

Its only 1# more than the current BA COMP

I'm more curious how much weight you can ADD

Reactions: Simia Dei
That's light!

Jokes aside. I've hunted with AIs. 15-17# makes a nice range gun. Or prone gun. Or comp gun. Or do it all with a proof and lighter scope if you dont mind a little more weight.

Its only 1# more than the current BA COMP

I'm more curious how much weight you can ADD

I've carried a 25lb 338 Lapua AI a mile to lay somewhere...but it definitely ain't practical. And good luck getting a quick offhand shot. Sure you can rest an elbow on a hip and smack something if you've got time but I don't get that often if I've gotta shoot offhand.

Reactions: b6graham
I went with MPA because they could accommodate my shorter Length of pull and made me a custom buttplate. I asked MDT, and unless I went with a buffer tube setup... Everyone in Canada is over 6'2".

I’m rarely an early adopter but this fits the profile of what I wanted: chassis, shorter length of pull, and ability to maintain 90* trigger finger w/smaller hands. In on the pre-order.

That's fine. Personal preference is why we have so many options in the precision world today. But to say MPA is trying to catch MDT is factually incorrect. PRB aside, go to ANY local or national precision match in the country and MPA out numbers MDT by a wide margin. And I don't mean this as a knock against MDT, they make a really good product. But looking at the pure popularity, it's not even close.
You're talking about popularity in a niche market. Precision bolt gun market is MUCH bigger than PRS. I would not be shocked at all to hear MDT sells more units than MPA overall.

I’m rarely an early adopter but this fits the profile of what I wanted: chassis, shorter length of pull, and ability to maintain 90* trigger finger w/smaller hands. In on the pre-order.

I’m a bit worried it won’t get hand as close as AI, kmw sentinel, or A10 though.

There’s quite a bit of space between the trigger guard and the grips they have shown.

I’m a bit worried it won’t get hand as close as AI, kmw sentinel, or A10 though.

There’s quite a bit of space between the trigger guard and the grips they have shown.

Same question.

seems to be the latest trend is getting the trigger /grip “as close as possible”.

that seems to be a long way from one to the other.

I could be wrong on both ...usually am

I have no dog in this fight as i have nothing that could use any of the chassis at this moment. But i do like the look of this chassis. It bring back memories of the older AI stocks/chassis which i loved. I am surprised to hear how MPA has become so popular. I remember years ago they were only the MAC clone maker who then decided to make a chassis. I really have been out of this game for a while.

Same question.

seems to be the latest trend is getting the trigger /grip “as close as possible”.

that seems to be a long way from one to the other.

I could be wrong on both ...usually am

I've been happy w/my MPA BA to date and hope this lives up to MPA's marketing hype. fingers crossed.

I have an e-mail into them asking about an ETA on this. If I hear back I will share it here.

That's a ridiculous price if you're just getting a 3D printed grip. It sounds like they used 3D printing to make a mold for investment casting your grip though, or something like that.

Just 3D printed the grip would cost maybe $15 in materials and whatever you valued ~3-4 hours of machine time at, not counting materials needed to make a mold of your hand. The expensive part is buying a 3D scanner that can turn that mold into a 3D printable STL file, because materials for dental molds for example are quite cheap and would be sufficient in this case.

Good question..... Personally they can keep the new arse end. The longer forend however would be nice to have, along with the m-loc

Good question..... Personally they can keep the new arse end. The longer forend however would be nice to have, along with the m-loc

Check out the MPA ESR Chassis. Looks like it has exactly what you're looking for. Old style rear end, with the same longer m-lok forend as the Matrix.

Reactions: Pete B