• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

maten build opinions please

oneshotkyle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2011
central oregon
I am gathering parts for a ar308 mega maten build. this will be my first ar308 but i've built more than enough ar15's. this gun will be for local prone matches and reactive steel targets, no packing it around table or prone only. must be able to keep 1moa out to 1000yds. I got the bug and decided to sell the 308 bolt gun and do something different this
year. so i already have a NF 3.5-15 and 500 pieces of 308 lapua brass and all the necessary reloading stuff. here is a list of what I have in mind.

maten keymod ext set
24" lilja 308 barrel dpms ext
cmmg bcg
ar10 prs setup
ar10 spring and rifle buffer
spur 20moa
NF 3.5-15
Geissele trigger
slr adj gas block

I have read nothing but good reviews on many long(over 22") barrels and like all that iv'e seen and read about the lilja. I already own douglas/shilen/bartlein and am always hot to try something new to me. anyone with some insight on the long lilja? any magazine recommendations? magpul or acs? what kind of velocities can I expect to see outta 168/175/185 bullets? thanks for looking any help appreciated

Last edited:
I am gathering parts for a ar308 mega maten build. this will be my first ar308 but i've built more than enough ar15's. this gun will be for local prone matches and reactive steel targets, no packing it around table or prone only. must be able to keep 1moa out to 1000yds. I got the bug and decided to sell the 308 bolt gun and do something different this
year. so i already have a NF 3.5-15 and 500 pieces of 308 lapua brass and all the necessary reloading stuff. here is a list of what I have in mind.

maten keymod ext set
24" lilja 308 barrel dpms ext
cmmg bcg
ar15 prs setup
ar10 spring and rifle buffer
spur 20moa
NF 3.5-15

I have read nothing but good reviews on many long(over 22") barrels and like all that iv'e seen and read about the lilja. I already own douglas/shilen/bartlein and am always hot to try something new to me. anyone with some insight on the long lilja? any magazine recommendations? magpul or acs? what kind of velocities can I expect to see outta 168/175/185 bullets? thanks for looking any help appreciated
Switch the PRS stock for the 308 version. You'll have trouble with the charging handle.

Switch the PRS stock for the 308 version. You'll have trouble with the charging handle.

+1. Was thinking the exact same thing. The adjustable cheekpiece will get in the way of the charging handle. I love the PRS though. There is a 308 specific one. I am also a huge fan of being able to "tune" the gas flow with an adjustable gas block so it is only gassed as much as is needed. Nothing more, nothing less. Lastly, Geiselle high speed triggers are awesome!!!! Thats my only feedback. For 168 or 175 rounds I usually find 2,700 fps to be the top velocity from my 24" barrels with Varget and H4895. The sweet spot is usually around 2,650. Dont have Lilja but have Krieger, hs precision, etc.

However, I have just started using Alliant MR2000 and I LOVE IT. Anyway, they say this powder will get one close to 2,800 with these rounds i mentioned. I dont want to go there as I am happy around 2,650 and I personally think 2,800 is ridiculous from a 16 or 175 grain 308. However, if you read up on the powder, you will see claims off huge velocity. I can only say one thing, ALL OF MY GUNS LOVE IT. Moreso than varget and moreso than H4895

copy on the ar10 PRS. whos adjustable gas block do you guys recommend and will it work under keymod and on .936 barrel? I forgeot to add that I will be trying my first giesells trigger on this one too. no expense spared. I will look up the mr2000 powder too.

I do not have much to add to this besides my experience today bought the matched set and ordered all my parts and went with the Larue A-Peg grip in a AR-10 and it does not seem to fit where as any normal AR15 grip I have installed have fit perfect. I know this is not a big issue just one I had found when using this grip figure if i can save you the headache it would be worth posting.

it all help's thanks HKpirate

forgot to mention I talked with dan lilja on the phone about this 24" 1in11 twist barrel and he says 168-200g pills. I am looking forward to trying some 185 juggernauts loaded to mag length of 2.8 and curious as to anyone who has tried them in an AR308 gas gun. what your loads were powder/primer/brass/oal/velocities? im hoping 2600fps is achievable with 185's. AR load information needs a sticky in the reloading section.

I'm using the Seekins adjustable gas block, and would suggest getting one for any 308 build. Seekins, PRI, Syrac, JP all make adjustable blocks ... but I don't know of anybody who makes a low profile one for .936 barrels. You could use the rifle length MKM upper and a JP adjustable gas block in front, exposed. For that barrel diameter, it might be your only option.

I'd also consider the JP LMOS carrier and a JP bolt, along with the JP captured spring and buffer system. I use a JP bolt and the captured system, but have a full weight Nickel Boron Harris Tactical carrier and it's been 100% using all sorts of surplus along with handloads. I keep the spare Harris bolt in my MIAD insert.

If you can, have Lilja (or whoever) make you a barrel with an extended gas system - longer than rifle length. That would solve 2 problems. One, you could use a non-low-profile gas block in front of your extend MKM rail. And two, it would lengthen the dwell time which will make the gun easier on your brass, and possibly allow a hair hotter loads before seeing pressure signs. The adjustable gas block will also help a bit with the gun beating up your brass.

I love the Geissele triggers, have one or multiples of just about every one in their lineup, and you can't go wrong with any. For your use I'd say the High Speed Match trigger ... but also consider the Wilson TTU line of triggers. I just had my first experience with one and expected it to be meh, being a Geissele snob. But wow it was really nice!

As far as reloading goes, there's no shortage of data for 308 in 24" barrels. Just start lower than you might in a bolt gun and work up. Since you're having a custom barrel made, you should be able to get exact headspace data for it ... that will help for accuracy loads.

I too recommend at least getting the jp silent capture spring. My maten setup has the silent capture and its so much smoother and just that much more pleasant to shoot.if you havent picked up a bcg i would also recommend getting the jp low mass bcg assembly. My prs is nice i just wished it didnt weigh a ton. It actually makes my 16" feel very rear heavy. I also run a giselle ssae and it is an awesome trigger, i have a hogan gold in a 15 and its very nice as well.

For the gas block, look at SLR rifleworks. Much easier adjustments.

Definitely second the recommendation of the Geissele HS National Match trigger if you are trying wring precision out of the gun.

Last edited:
For the gas block, look at SLR rifleworks. Much easier adjustments.

Definitely second the recommendation of the Geissele HS National Match trigger if you are trying wring precision out of the gun.

I second this with the slr. A year ago I looked all over for a 936 adjustable lo profile block where the adjustment screw locked in place. I couldn't find any except for Wilson combat. Now everybody is talking about SLR which looks badass!!

I second this with the slr. A year ago I looked all over for a 936 adjustable lo profile block where the adjustment screw locked in place. I couldn't find any except for Wilson combat. Now everybody is talking about SLR which looks badass!!
SLR is good stuff too. I put the DA7 on mine due to over gassing. It's tuned and running perfect.

so a Geissele trigger and slr adjustable gas block to the list. anyone use a spuhr mount and if so what works? need to be able to shoot prone so the lowest is probly not a good idea.

so a Geissele trigger and slr adjustable gas block to the list. anyone use a spuhr mount and if so what works? need to be able to shoot prone so the lowest is probly not a good idea.

Beleive it or not I use the max 50 rings by badger ordnance. I don't care about the weight of my maten so I thought I would overkill the rings. Solid like a brick shithouse. Ultra high is the size for the ar rail design. I love badger ord

JP adjustable gas block is accessible to tweak under the extended MKM. I also highly recommend to folks either the JP SCS 10 buffer or a Slash heavy buffer. Timing is much more of a challenge than with an AR 15 in an AR10 build

Triggers geiselle, JP, Wilson combat are best in class and similar cost. The ALG Defense ACT is also when combined with a JP spring kit a great $75 option that can free up funds for other components

LaRue OBR mount best in class for rings. Gun Test magazine did a solid return to zero and quality test. Very valid source as they take no ad print and fund via subscription only.

Always worry about items I see in all the magazines monthly as to why

Hope this helps

Beleive it or not I use the max 50 rings by badger ordnance. I don't care about the weight of my maten so I thought I would overkill the rings. Solid like a brick shithouse. Ultra high is the size for the ar rail design. I love badger ord

I have had badger 6 screw rings and liked them also. I just like to out different stuff on each build I do. you'll never know if ya don't

I have had badger 6 screw rings and liked them also. I just like to out different stuff on each build I do. you'll never know if ya don't

My humble opinion on the item in your list that could be "upgraded" would be the bcg. I just think for the bling your going to throw into this build you should go with top of the line bcg. Again my humble opinion is that is the low mass jp rifles bcg. Works perfect with adjustable gas block. Light and takes the "sledge hammering" down of the bolt carrier

Also, if your maten has the Ambi bolt release like mine, you may like the norgon Ambi mag release too. Other than that, a good grip and you have a kickass setup. I like kreiger barrels myself but they are 11 months out on an ar bull barrel. Lilja is good too

And get the clamp on slr block. Some beleive that the set screw design can slightly affect accuracy. Even if you don't believe that, why not play it safe:)

i'll look into the jp carrier. the ar308 platform is new to me and learning all there is and going about this for the first time. im not sure that many of us shooters can shoot well enough to tell the difference between the top ten barrel maker anymore. I always try stuff that is new to me and i'm not brand specific. I was thinking about the slr clamp style gas block but worried that it won't give as much clearance as the set screw type. the maten extended hanguard will cover it and the gas block will be a .936 version. anyone know if the slr adj gas block in .936 diameter will fit under maten keymod handguard?

parts ordered:

maten ext length keymod set
lilja 24" 308 barrel
cmmg bcg
ar10 prs
a2 buffer tube
dpms rifle buffer
dpms rifle spring
cmmg parts kit
yhm rifle length gas tube

things needed:

30mm spuhr mount
slr adjustable gas block ( prefer clamp style not sure if it will clear handguard)
giessel trigger

Last edited:
Do the Silent capture spring their worth it and get a AR 10 bore guide Like the JP one they make cleaning so much easier. I used the BASASS ambi safety in my Mahten and Mine has the A2 rear stock with ambi QD sling attachment points. You can save weight with the PRI carbon fiber tube or DD ultra light. Try a Krieger Barrel they rock. Adj. gas block is a must for the Low Mas bolt if you go that route.
Rubber City Armory makes a nice BCG not sure if they do AR 10? Good luck with the build should be a Nice One.

parts ordered:

maten ext length keymod set
lilja 24" 308 barrel
cmmg bcg
ar10 prs
a2 buffer tube
dpms rifle buffer
dpms rifle spring
cmmg parts kit
yhm rifle length gas tube

things needed:

30mm spuhr mount
slr adjustable gas block ( prefer clamp style not sure if it will clear handguard)
giessel trigger

I'm doing a similar build in .260. Whats the turnaround on the Lija barrel?

I think they have dimensions on their website. It's not much different than any other lopro gas block.

Will a slr adjustable gas block fit under a maten keymod handguard?

Part of that might depend on the barrel profile at the gas port and which model you choose. My guess would be that the .750" models will most likely fit, but Todd might be able to confirm. Also taking some measurements of your gun and comparing their drawing dimensions will give you a much better idea. I believe that he will also exchange for different model if it doesn't fit (and there is a better option). He's typically pretty responsive to emails and now that the shot show is over I bet he will be getting back to responding

maten hanguard is 1.5 internal dimensions so it should work.

I ordered a slr .936 clamp on which im sure will be o.k.
also ordered a 30mm spurh mount yesterday.
all parts for this build or ordered and have already started to arrive. maten will be the only hold up im sure, but I will keep optimistic about getting it by the end of February. that gives me march to get a load developed for our first match will be in april.

For triggers, I've tried mostly all Geissele models (SSA-E, S3G, Hi-Speed), AR Gold, JP, CMC, and Wilson TTU. Of those, Geissele easily ranks in the bottom. My favorite is the AR Gold, but honestly their 308 version needs some work to get it right (.223 version is about perfect out of the box). I have a Wilson TTU single stage and it is about perfect as a single stage. In fact the quality and characteristics of the Wilson TTU are so great that I have full confidence that any of the TTU triggers will probably be pretty awesome. JP is pretty good too. Not quite as nice as the Wilson as a single stage (very minor amount of creep) but it is very nice though it will need to be adjusted. The JP EZ-Setup (no gunsmith required) has dropped in price to $200 retail. The CMC is nearly as nice as the JP but there are some fit and finish things with it that don't make me love it. You can find the CMC for about $160 at some places so it might be the best for the money though the JP at $200 makes it less so.

With all that said, I'd probably get a Wilson TTU for the 308 in whatever flavor you prefer (1-stage, 2-stage, 3-gun). That is unless you want to save some money then I would probably prefer the JP. I really wish I could recommend the AR Gold but it took some doing for me to get it right in 308. Additionally, I tried a Larue PredatOBR 308 with their special version of the AR Gold and I was surprisingly disappointed with it. You would think that Larue would make sure that a complete PredatOBR would be sold perfect but the way the AR Gold felt was disappointing.

I have an adjustable Gas Block on my Maten and it fits no problem. I'm running an 20" Lilja barrel and with 175 SMKs from Southwest Ammo I'm hitting 12" by 18" steel plates at 978 yards (holding 10.5 mils with a DA ~4). The shorter and lighter barrel is nice when you are "running and gunning". Don't see going much longer then 20" on this type of build. Just my two cents.

usmcmk12 what is your 175smk load?have you chronoed it? I have some 185 juggernauts and 155 scenars to try out. this build is only for prone matches we have local, no runnin or gunnin.juggernauts at 2600fps are 9.4mil @ 978yds

There is no benefit to 20" over a 24" or longer for a set range, make it long enough that it does not tip over frontwards you will be better off, free speed

There is no benefit to 20" over a 24" or longer for a set range, make it long enough that it does not tip over frontwards you will be better off, free speed

tell that to the palma shooter's. could they still dominate a match with a short barrel? heck no.

parts received:
lilja 24" 308 barrel
cmmg bcg
ar10 prs
a2 buffer tube
dpms rifle buffer
dpms rifle spring
cmmg parts kit
rifle length gas tube
30mm spurh mount

waiting for:
mega maten ext set to come in(im on backorder @ jse)
slr adj gas block

need to buy a geissels and that's all that's left.
come on mega lets get them buggers shipping

if anyone has or knows were I can get a mega maten extended keymod set, I got cash ready. pm me and we can talk. gotta be someone out there that would rather have the new megalithic.

slr gas block arrived today so I now have all parts for the build except mega maten set. so I bought a complete maten keymod rifle length set today. it's on it's way to my ffl. I am interested in trading my rifle length handguard for an extended length one if someone is interested in downsizing let me know.

Love my MA-TEN! I went with a 24" Rainer ultra match barrel.

e23889cb.jpg

maten built and took out yesterday for a function test and get on paper minor load testing and barrel break in. I only had 155 lapua scenars to test with lapua brass and federal large primer's. varget was barely over 2600fps. but that all changed when I tried mr2000. surprisingly I got 2850fps avg on my magnetospeed and that was encouraging. (no pressure signs in my rifle)the only mr2000 group I shot was the last four rounds of it and it was .600. very happy for starters. tonight I loaded up 185 berger juggernauts with cfe223,mr2000,h4895 and xbr8208. five shots of each just to view velocities. these 185's need to be 2500fps to kinda tie what the 155 scenars do at 2850, so anything over 2500 with the juggernauts will be encouraging. now I just need this chitty weather to go away..........

Last edited: