• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes max range for 6x FFP scope

SAKOstalker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2004
USA
What ranges have you shot a FFP on 6x at? 400? 500?
I'm sure 300 would work.

Re: max range for 6x FFP scope

I've shot mine at 1K, on 15"x25" steel.

Everything just appears smaller, but the relative size between the reticle and target remain constant.

USO makes a 1.5-6x

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatGonzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who makes a 6x ffp scope? </div></div>

If you're talking fixed power, it doesn't really matter what focal plane houses the reticle.

I'm referring to my MK4 3.5-10x40 M1 FFP with GenII Mildot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO makes a 1.5-6x </div></div>
I have one and have made hits on steel at 500.
I could not be more pleased with this scope!

You should be able to shoot at 1000 yards with a 6x. I have not done so since I had a 10x fixed, 4-14x and now a 3.2-17x and usually end up turning the power ring up.

I have shot irons past 600 so it's not a real big deal.

Certainly. I have not had that scope with me during the last few over-500 shoots. Also, I have been running a 55FMJ load in this AR-15 because I got a deal on a large lot of projectiles and figured I might as well use them.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should be able to shoot at 1000 yards with a 6x. I have not done so since I had a 10x fixed, 4-14x and now a 3.2-17x and usually end up turning the power ring up.

I have shot irons past 600 so it's not a real big deal.</div></div>

Exactly, as long as you can get a consistent sight picture you can hit your target. You don't have to be able to see the reaction on their face for it to count as a hit.

However it would depend slightly on exactly how thick the stadia lines in your reticle are. In a combat optic they'd have to be thick enough for you to see quickly and easily even in low light and that might mean they ended up being pretty damn thick relative to a 1 MOA target @ 6x. In higher magnifications the reticles can be, in absolute terms, thinner while appearing the same thickness to your eye and thus obscure much less of the target. This is always the question with large mag variance FFP scopes: do you make the reticle thick enough so that you can use it @ 2x but it obscures most of a 1 MOA target, or do you make it thin enough that you can easily pick your hold on small targets but it in magnifications below 10x the stadia lines disappear into "thin air" (hardee har har.)