• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maximum range of standard velocity 22LR

bulletbluesky

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2023
Croatia
Around WWII, US army conducted time consuming and exhausting tests on several brands of 22 LR ammo with MV=1050-1100 ft/s. In conditions close to standard atmosphere, at sea level, the maximum range obtained for 40 grainers was approximately 1400 yards with bore elevation 25-30°. This was a looong time ago. Have they repeated the tests in modern times of radars aviability with 22 LR ammo manufactured not so long ago?

It might be possible, would need to have someone put a Coke/soda/pop can at 1,400 yards and start taking pot shots with a Ruger 10/22 and iron sights.
Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 3.31.13 PM.png

Maybe questions about 22LR shots in artillery mode are funny to you, but I want to know that for another reason

Maybe questions about 22LR shots in artillery mode are funny to you, but I want to know that for another reason
I doubt there's another way to make a standard velocity 40 grain .22lr travel 1,400 yards without looking like an artillery round.

State your reason for asking and maybe you'll be taken seriously....maybe...not likely...but there is a minuscule possibility.

Reactions: RTH1800
I doubt there's another way to make a standard velocity 40 grain .22lr travel 1,400 yards without looking like an artillery round.

State your reason for asking and maybe you'll be taken seriously....maybe...not likely...but there is a minuscule possibility.
There isn't. And not just that, but it's more complicated for tiny 22LR round than for an artillery round.
I'll rather wait for somebody with actual test data, or at least with access to mighty Weibel radar testing site.:alien:
Or somebody adult at least

There isn't. And not just that, but it's more complicated for tiny 22LR round than for an artillery round.
I'll rather wait for somebody with actual test data, or at least with access to mighty Weibel radar testing site.:alien:
Or somebody adult at least
You're going to be waiting a long time. Good quest with your lucky.

….

Why don’t you go out to a mile long range and try it out with some sheets setup out there. I don’t think anybody has actually tried this. You can be that provider of data from field research.

Oorrrrr, find the BC of some modern .22 bullets, their muzzle velocities from the barrel length you’re interested in and do some math. Yes, bullet design has advanced, but I doubt there has been much advancement in 22lr BCs. The WWII calculation is probably pretty close to correct today.

So, what is your reason? This is a very specific question.

My last attempt at 600 yards at 24" wide and 48" paper target full size paper ended up with 2 shots on paper out of about 30 (2x15 round mags) I sent.
I could see impacts around the target just difficulty to adjust due to changing winds.

33.5 MILS
Dialed 22, held over rest
Held 3.5 left.

I can't imagine trying to yeet it at 1400.

How many shots would it take to actually hit something?

Why don’t you go out to a mile long range and try it out with some sheets setup out there. I don’t think anybody has actually tried this. You can be that provider of data from field research.

Oorrrrr, find the BC of some modern .22 bullets, their muzzle velocities from the barrel length you’re interested in and do some math. Yes, bullet design has advanced, but I doubt there has been much advancement in 22lr BCs. The WWII calculation is probably pretty close to correct today.

So, what is your reason? This is a very specific question.
As already said, constant BC rarely works good for calculation of extreme range trajectories , no matter what drag function taken. Point mass trajectory models based on appropriate zero-yaw drag coefficent functions are better, but also can be sometimes quite off .
The "WWII calculation" was actually a real world firing test. Calculation based on 300 yards ballistic charts of a typical 22 LR in 1940. would yield ~1800 yards- G1, ~1600 yards- RA4. The reference says measured was 1350-1400 yards...I don't know anything else, what riffle or twist rates were used, what spread or if beaten zone was determined etc. But it's not 22LR that behaves in an odd way.
2 decades ago I got lucky and met a conference guy who worked for Weibel Company back then. Among other things relating performance of their Doppler radars I was kindly given Excel files containing extra long and extreme range trajectory data for some well known small arms military cartridges recorded by their radars. That was about time, radar technology become mature enough, to track small projectiles like 5.56 mm bullets at their 2 miles long trajectory during fair weather. But I don't have such data for 22 rimfire. I guess 22LR is not considered military cartridge (perhaps just "survival weapon"?) so no interest. This doesn't mean there were no appropriate radar test done.

As already said, constant BC rarely works good for calculation of extreme range trajectories , no matter what drag function taken. Point mass trajectory models based on appropriate zero-yaw drag coefficent functions are better, but also can be sometimes quite off .
The "WWII calculation" was actually a real world firing test. Calculation based on 300 yards ballistic charts of a typical 22 LR in 1940. would yield ~1800 yards- G1, ~1600 yards- RA4. The reference says measured was 1350-1400 yards...I don't know anything else, what riffle or twist rates were used, what spread or if beaten zone was determined etc. But it's not 22LR that behaves in an odd way.
2 decades ago I got lucky and met a conference guy who worked for Weibel Company back then. Among other things relating performance of their Doppler radars I was kindly given Excel files containing extra long and extreme range trajectory data for some well known small arms military cartridges recorded by their radars. That was about time, radar technology become mature enough, to track small projectiles like 5.56 mm bullets at their 2 miles long trajectory during fair weather. But I don't have such data for 22 rimfire. I guess 22LR is not considered military cartridge (perhaps just "survival weapon"?) so no interest. This doesn't mean there were no appropriate radar test done.
Who said anything about constant BC? Applied Ballistics uses Doppler radar to obtain BCs across the bullet’s flight path for different velocities. Maybe they’ve done it for rimfire .22 bullets. Did you use a constant BC in your 1600/1800 yard calculations from extrapolated 300 yard data?

22lr has been used by the military. But it was for sentry/dog/light removal for covert operations. The ranges used were very short. Nobody was using it for plungin fire, and therefore there is no reason to spend money for the testing. It is definitely not a “military cartridge”. The fact that some guy got that test going officially back then is amazing. Probably good ol’ boy network with the guy who approved spending the money.

Seems like Lawnmower man Louis is back in town. Is another one in the ELR forum under another name that also fits his M.O.

Reminds me a little of when we practiced defilade fire with heavy machine guns at targets out to 4500 meters. Of course our goal was to develop a beaten zone on a convoy route or entrenchments.

Reminds me a little of when we practiced defilade fire with heavy machine guns at targets out to 4500 meters. Of course our goal was to develop a beaten zone on a convoy route or entrenchments.
Was that before or during WWII?
I might be wrong, but I think machine gunners are not trained to use plunging fire anymore.
As of maximum range warning on the boxes 22 LR "Dangerous up to 1.5:) miles", 22LR is dangerous at it's max range-it can poke your eye out!

Was that before or during WWII?
I might be wrong, but I think machine gunners are not trained to use plunging fire anymore.

I never saw any range time setup for it, but the doctrine is still taught.

I’m sure some intrepid young officer could get range time for the task though, if a nearby range is big enough.

I never saw any range time setup for it, but the doctrine is still taught.

I’m sure some intrepid young officer could get range time for the task though, if a nearby range is big enough.
29 Palms. We did multiple FIREX up there for CAAT teams prior to DS/DS. A good chunk of it was defilade firing training