• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McM A-5 for F(tr) Class?

9sigman45

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
King, NC
Will a McMillan A-5 with thumbwheel cheek and spacer system be OK for F(tr) Class matches? Or will the butt hook and spacer system not work well with a rear bag?

Re: McM A-5 for F(tr) Class?

I have found the butthook to be a pain in the ass for riding the bags with something like a Protektor 13A rear bag.

I use one of the formed bags. It is a Caldwell IIRC, but I cant remember the model. It actually works quite well with the hook. I prefer the A5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found the butthook to be a pain in the ass for riding the bags with something like a Protektor 13A rear bag. </div></div>

If you think about it, something called a "butt hook" should be a pain in the ass, LOL./

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found the butthook to be a pain in the ass for riding the bags with something like a Protektor 13A rear bag. </div></div>

If you think about it, something called a "butt hook" should be a pain in the ass, LOL./ </div></div>

Now that's funny; I don't care who you are!
laugh.gif

The A-5 does not ride the bags very well at all!! This is why i just sold mine. Nice stock and great with a bi-pod but if you are shooting a rifle with any kind of recoil in an a-5 the stock will bounch all over the place. You will have to readjust every time before you can shoot the next shot. Didnt work for me!!!! Not even a little!!! I was shooting a 243AI the recoil just bounced the stock all over the place! Lee

I shoot mine in in FTR with a Redman bag from Triad Tactical. This is the same setup I shoot with my tactical rifles. Works pretty well for me.

The A5 is not a F-Class designed stock.

With that posted, I came in 5th place over all at Butner the first and only F-Class 3x1000yd match I ever shot.

I do not use a "rear Bag" with ears. I use a Red Tac Gear" Rear bag.

So it works for me and others real well.

John

I've decided to stick with the A-5, but I'm gonna order another from McMillan, but without the spacer system this time. I'll put the current stock I have on a PSS I bought a few months ago. It'll eventually make it to GAP for a rebarrel later next year ;>).
Thanks to all for your comments.

Excuse my ingnorance but why does the Redman rear bad work better than bunny eared rear bag?