• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan A-4 Bedding, Pillars, Etc.

treebasher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2009
Billings, MT
OK guys I figure it is time to pop my cherry here on SH.

Next week I am dropping the coin for a new McMillan A-4 and have some questions about bedding.

I have three options:

1. Do nothing and screw the action in.
2. Bedding the action.
3. Bedding and pillar the action.

In the past I have always bedded and pillared my rifles with wood stocks and have had great success with the rifles shooting well.

I am leaning towards bedding and pillars as I have always done but is this absolutely necessary with a high end stock?

Thoughts?

Re: McMillan A-4 Bedding, Pillars, Etc.

Definately #3. Nice stock choice
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definately #3. Nice stock choice
wink.gif
</div></div>

Yup. I prefer A5's personally, but haven't had an A4 yet....

Oh, welcome to the 'hide. Don't forget to fill out your profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..... but haven't had an A4 yet.... </div></div>

No time like the present.....
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

No time like the present.....
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Being in construction, I'll agree there has been no time like the present (thank god), and when the present goes away I may be able to afford trying one
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definately #3. Nice stock choice
wink.gif
</div></div>

Well said...

never bed mine, put it in torqued it down, shoots in the .3's to.4's 243ai

Like dad always said, (If your going to do something , do it right) Looks like to me you only have one option. Good luck and welcome!! Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhedg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never bed mine, put it in torqued it down, shoots in the .3's to.4's 243ai </div></div>

Yep, I've had similar results. I try them without bedding first and if the gun shoots, I leave it alone.

Had mine pillar bedded and accu gel. It is the only way to go.

Well I am not typing very fast today. Last night I was cleaning up some broken glass and cut my arm open clear to the muscle. Ouch is all that I have to say about that.

Anyway I think that I will go with 308isgreat's idea and see if it shoots without bedding just for the shits and giggles of it. I know how it shoots now so it will be a fun experiment.

Here is a link to the pillars that I have been using with great success:

http://www.scorehi.com/main.htm#Adjustable%20pillars

And here are some pictures of the last Model 70 that I bedded with them:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bwookey/Winc...feat=directlink

Learned a little on that one. When a friend shows up with a bottle of Jim Beam on a Sunday afternoon and you haven't been drinking in a while it is a BAD idea to play with epoxy as you can tell from the mess all over the bottom metal:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0Jox5Cjx0SMvPuKk7-KQGQ?feat=directlink

William thanks for the link, great write up and pictures. Hopefully my next bedding job is not so messy =)

So if you order a stock from McMillan with "machined-in" pillars, are they the metal ones similar to the score high posted above, or those that come with a badger M5, or ???