• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

McMillan A5 Stock Help

aussiem1a

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2011
North Georgia
I have a qusetion regarding the fill that is used in the stock.I have found a A5 with standard fill with all the features that i want.Is there any down side to durability and strength as opposed to the same stock which uses the sniper fill. Would using the flush cups be an issue with the standard fill while carrying around a heavy rifle.
Thanks for your help

Re: McMillan A5 Stock Help

It's weight of the stock and I can't imagine the standard fill would be any less durable. I just ordered one with the edge fill and also have flush cups installed. I don't see them offering a feature if they felt it wasn't up to par for a particular fill.

Standard fill will be lighter, no difference in strength as far as the hardware goes.

Count yourself lucky to find one that has what you want, just saved yourself a 4 month wait.

It's really a question of the caliber of the rifle to be used in the stock. The standard fill is fine up to about a .300 Win Mag recoil level. The ultra-mags, big bores, .338 Laupa's, etc will cause excessive flex in the side-walls of the stock along the magazine box area which will degrade accuracy and may damage the stock is the rear guard screw area and bend the rear guard screw. These big calibers need the extra stiffness that the solid glass fill in the action area gives to the sidewalls of the action area. That's the only difference in the fill of the A-5 stocks is that "sniper fill" has a solid glass action area fill vs the lighter and more flexable standard sporter fill.

Sniper fill is only a dense heavier fill in the action area only!!! Think it adds 6-8oz only