• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

McMillan Baker

RCS1278

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2012
Southern Oregon
Does anyone have much experience with the Baker Special? I haven't seen a lot of write ups on it and I was wondering what people think of it. I'm not really in an area where I have access to a lot of custom stocks to get a hands on feel.

Re: McMillan Baker

While stock design and style are subject to personal opinion. The Baker Special is an excellent stock well suited to prone shooting. 99% of my shooting is prone!! With the 3 way butt system it can be adjusted to suit just about any body type, although this option does add weight.

It is wide in the forend similar to the A-5. The forend is scalloped out too which gives the rifle a stable low centre of gravity feel even when using bipods or bags, the stock is still stiff and doesn't flex in the front.

I also prefer the traditional grip, compared to the more popular vertical pistol grip! The tapered butt is ideal for rapid and easy elevation adjustments, that is very important to me.

I have gone off butt hook style stocks and am going to order an other Baker to replace A5 on my 300WM..... I'm Sold on the Baker, although i would like to try the SR-90 stock (a modified Baker)

While i would always advise to try and get behind a stock first sometimes it's not that easy.
So depending on the parameters of your build ie weight and purpose of the rifle you may be hard pressed to go past the Baker.

Cheers

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3345229#Post3345229

check my two Baker Specials out.
wink.gif

They fit me like a glove

Thanks Kruger21, that helps me out a lot! I'm jealous .257, very nice! I'm going to have to wipe the drool off now...

If the grip were a little less traditionally "swooped" it would be perfect for me. If you are more comfortable with a hunting style grip it will do you really well!

As with any tool, the first question should be "what am I going to use it for"? Function should define form and fit.

I am coming off of an old remington 30-06 so i am very use to the traditional hunting stock. I am going to be getting a custom built rifle used mainly for target shooting from prone or maybe a little bench.