• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

McMillan Game Warden LOP

Airlifter89

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2018
I just bought a Seekins Havak with the McMillan Game Warden stock. The rifle is used 80% hunting and 20% paper punching. After messing around with the rifle I feel like the length of pull may be too short for me. I’m 6’3” and the length of pull on the rifle is 13.5”. I believe it needs about an inch after all the test.

I called McMillan customer service and the guy I talked to made it seem like a bigger deal than just slapping on a thicker butt stock pad and that they usually don’t add an inch spacer because it looks bad.

It’s blows my mind that such a nice stock doesn’t come with an adjustment for length of pull as not everyone is built the same. My questions are, am I worrying about the length of pull too much for a hunting rifle? Should I send the stock into Mcmillan where it’ll sit for “4 weeks” and have to pay $200ish after shipping, equipment, and labor. Would I be better of just buying a new stock with a longer LOP?

What methods did you use to test LOP for you?

I used the crook of the arm and bent trigger finger as well as marking where my nose naturally hits the stock. Both test showed about an inch.

Reactions: PBL
The game warden is a very hunting style of stock. As such, it has a significantly slanted butt section. Stocks of this styling do not look so good when you add spacers to them because the spacers extend out straight. McMillan hunting stocks are custom and are cut to the shooters spec when made. I don't remember the extent of the possible range as I am not so tall and use an LOP of 13.25." I think that I remember McMillan saying that the 13.5" you mention is the most common size.

As for the questions,
1) Yea, you probably are a bit to worried about the LOP on a hunting rifle. I can't really answer the question definitively for you though. Stock fit is a personal thing. I don't really buy the whole LOP sizing recommendations either. I have always found my rifles feel best, and are best supported, a bit shorter.

2) That really depends if you like the stock geometry more than anything else. Certainly $200 is cheaper than the ~$850 +$200 for bedding that an equivalent stock will cost. If you are deciding to buy a new stock I would think that it should be a decision based on whether you like the rest of the stock geometry or not as it is still much more costly to buy a new one than alter this one. $200 is sure not cheap but you are dealing with a quality custom stock not a piece of tupperware, nothing is cheap about it. Remember that the big reason these arn't adjustable it appearance. Most hunters buying a stock at this price are more interested in keeping the best appearance than in making adjustment free.

Reactions: Airlifter89