• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MCS-T4 Sako Quad 22 Trainer ammo results

kombayotch

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2007
Thought it might be good to share our results with different ammo since there are a bunch of us with the same setup. I'm interested to hear what worked best for others.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Ammo that extracted:</span>
CCI Subsonic -> shot ok, but was difficult closing the bolt (not recommended)
Eley Subsonic Xtra-Plus 40 gr. -> was a solid performer at 50 yards, made ragged holes. Groups weren't great at 100 yards.
Remington Target -> Groups weren't very good.
Federal Champion Target 40 gr.-> Small groups with the occasional flyer, a few FTE's
Federal Gold Medal Match (High Velocity 40gr.) -> produced some of the worst groups.
Fiocchi Match -> Small groups with the occasional flyer. Similar results to Champion (but no FTE's), but is 4x the cost.

<span style="font-style: italic">Best performance:</span>
RWS Target Rifle 40 gr. -> consistently gave ragged holes at 50 yards and groups around 1" at 100 yards.

<span style="font-style: italic">Decent lower cost performance:</span>
American Eagle high velocity 40 gr. -> I'd put it second place overall, after the RWS Match Rifle. Beat all of the other Match ammo.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Ammo that caused FTE's:</span>
Winchester XPERT
PMC Moderator
CCI Blazer
Eley Sport

Re: MCS-T4 Sako Quad 22 Trainer ammo results

How much was wind a factor in your 100yd tests? The vertical with 711B for me was potentially MOA, but 5Mph gusts were blowing me right .2-.6MRad so the groups weren't very impressive to measure.

The wind would blow for a while and then die down. I fired a box of each ammo, alternating between the different brands for every group. The FGMM was consistently outperformed by just about everything else (that cycled). The RWS and the AE performed consistently better than the others, except for the Eley SS, which was also a consistent performer at 50 yards.

kombay-thanks for the info. As soon as I get my daughter married this weekend I'm gonna pound some 22's downrange!!!!!!

Was out again today... The RWS Target Rifle ammo was jamming pretty often today, and this batch didn't shoot as well.

Tested some SK (Match and regular). The Match stuff was on and off. Also tested some Eley Target, Club and Team. Target had a few FTEs. Club as like SK Match, not always consistent. The best was Eley Team (was only testing at 100 yards). I've ordered a brink of that from Midway along with some Eley Match, Lapua Center X and Master L. FYI, Midway is selling the Mater L at $6.47 per box (regular $12.xx). However, there is a limit of 3 per customer...

I'm also noticing that a quick cleaning every few hundred rounds helps a lot. I loose accuracy every few hundred rounds. I'm finding that one soaked patch and then a few dry patches gets it back though. Some interesting crud comes out too.

SK Match is the same stuff, made in the same factory. Eley Team was more consistent and also gave better velocity numbers (lower SD).

Here is my contribution. I was out for a few rounds today as I just received an ammo order from Champions. I was shooting Wolf Match Target and SK High Velocity Solid. No FTF or FTE on 100 rounds of fire for each. The Wolf was incredibly accurate at 50 yards and the SK was very close in group size. However at 100 yards, the SK really was outstanding as compared to the Wolf. My 10 round groups with the Wolf averaged 1.2" The SK was right at .75" I will definitely be exploring the SK High Velocity ammo a bit more.

STS, did you use SK High Velocity or High Velocity SPS?? Champions has both?? I'm getting ready to order for testing in my build!!!

Thanks bro, I'll give them a try!!!

Well 30cal sniper paints another awesome stock for me

He rock"s
wtixow.jpg

and yes i left his bedding tape in there .....lol

This is a laser 17 HRM.....Frogs at 200

x6j0k1.jpg

Man Tuna I'm jealous!!! Mine is midnight GAP camo but not digital.
That looks awesome. Todd did my 300wsm in that digital but in the GAP OD

Thanks for the heads up on SK High Velocity. Somehow I wound up with a partial box of 50 SK 22LR (dunno which one, it had a blue label) in my kit last week and it shot very well at 50 yards compared to several other types. However, I didn't shoot it at a longer range. After reading the above post about SK, I just ordered some solid nose, high velocity SK from Champions. It looks exactly like Wolf Match Target, including the bullet and the markings on the head.

Here's an excellent chart on 22LR ammo, including SK, just scroll down the page:

http://www.flat5.net/22LR_velocities.html

Did some ammo testing today. Thought I would share results from today's and a few other range trips. All group sizes are averages of multiple (usually 5) 5-shot groups @ 50 meters. All groups measured outside to outside with caliper.

Eley Club Extra - 0.66"
Eley Target Rifle - 0.49"
CCI Select - 0.66"
SK Match - 0.56"
Lapua Master L - 0.61"
Lapua Center X- 0.52"
RWS Rifle Match - 0.70"
RWS Target RIfle - 0.48"

To date, it looks like my rifle will be seeing more of the RWS Target Rifle or the Center X. The Eley Target had a good average, but the groups weren't as "clustered" as the RWS and Lapua.