• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT ACC Chassis Weights - A DIY Solution

How heavy can you get the ACC while using MDT weights?

The ACC is able to go from roughly 5.9 lb (chassis + buttstock weight unloaded) to a fully loaded chassis + buttstock at 12.3 lb. With the addition of the steel bag rider, you could probably get a little more out of that number now too, and then your barrel, action and scope selection will change the maximum weight too :)

Josh

Pretty slick setup. We took a bit of an opposite approach with our Gravity Blocks (short and stackable instead of long and thin). I guess there’s more than one way to skin a cat!
Those are interesting... I couldn’t imagine ever wanting to stack them as it would be so bulky and odd looking. I like the fact they are 1lb each. Got any more pictures of them installed on peoples rifles?

Those are interesting... I couldn’t imagine ever wanting to stack them as it would be so bulky and odd looking. I like the fact they are 1lb each. Got any more pictures of them installed on peoples rifles?

I’ve got a couple more photos on the Instagram page. Haven’t been out shooting much these past few months due to miserable weather conditions, but the local PRS season is kicking off in just a few weeks, so I ought to get my act together!

As far as the bulkiness goes, they’re not too bad. With the extended forend design of the PRC-700 chassis there is still plenty of room for a Gamechanger and/or shooting off a barricade, even with the weight attached.

IMG_20200306_135850.jpg

What you think? I will see how this holds up. You can't really torque down mloks nuts too much. May go to a flat bolt if there are issues.

Looks good! Where did you get that grip tape?
It has a soft rubber feel to it.. Sticks pretty damn good to. Helps knock down the "tuning fork effect" as well.

I put dynamat all down the inside to reduce the vibrations.

Good work @A.Huggy ! We always like to see creativity with our products :D

Now, moreso out of curiosity more than anything else; would there be interest in a single, long external weight or internal weight for the ACC? The reason that our weights cost what they do is the material + the machine time + fasteners and then we have to make something on them too! If we were to make one internal weight that maybe used less fasteners, that would save us on machine time, material waste and machining time, which would make it cheaper for everyone. The downside is that you would only be able to use all the weight or no weight with this option. We could also do the same thing for the external weights too.

Is there interest in something like this?

Josh
If you could make long ugly naked internal weights I would be all over it. I don't even care if they rust.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
I like the idea of this and how it stiffens the forend.

I can only imagine the strain a long barrel with a Proof Comp contour plus full chassis weights puts on the forend.
unless in wrong. I hope I’m wrong lol

I like the idea of this and how it stiffens the forend.

I can only imagine the strain a long barrel with a Proof Comp contour plus full chassis weights puts on the forend.
unless in wrong. I hope I’m wrong lol
So I took a 12 inchx .5 x 1.5 brass bar that was close to the same dimensions as the internal weight set, and I took a grinder to it, drilled and tapped new holes in it and it works great. My set up is SUPER rigid and weighs close to 29lbs now, but the front end is SUPER rigid.
You can kind of see the brass poking through this one whole... which I like for my set up lol

So I took a 12 inchx .5 x 1.5 brass bar that was close to the same dimensions as the internal weight set, and I took a grinder to it, drilled and tapped new holes in it and it works great. My set up is SUPER rigid and weighs close to 29lbs now, but the front end is SUPER rigid.
You can kind of see the brass poking through this one whole... which I like for my set up lol

What is on the NV bridge ?
Did you make a copy of the vertical grip and a bolt knob in brass to add weight ?

What is on the NV bridge ?
Did you make a copy of the vertical grip and a bolt knob in brass to add weight ?
That is a Charlier Tarac, it adds a ton of elevation when you are shooting really far distance like two miles or something.
The grip is made by @old balls Inc, its just 3d printed but it is nice and fat and fit my hands better.
THAT bolt knob is not brass, however I have one being made in brass, I have it on my other rifle and it helps with working the bolt in my opinion.

Now, moreso out of curiosity more than anything else; would there be interest in a single, long external weight or internal weight for the ACC? The reason that our weights cost what they do is the material + the machine time + fasteners and then we have to make something on them too! If we were to make one internal weight that maybe used less fasteners, that would save us on machine time, material waste and machining time, which would make it cheaper for everyone. The downside is that you would only be able to use all the weight or no weight with this option. We could also do the same thing for the external weights too.

Josh

I would like the internal fore end one piece if you are looking at offering them. Please advise

Josh

Yes...I'd be interested for sure!

The Tarac looks like it’s mounted in a custom way.

The Tarac looks like it’s mounted in a custom way.
It is, I used the mdt Mirage shield and then just taped new holes on the lower portion of the mirage shield and added a pic rail so it could be lower and closer to the scope. Worked out great! That rifle actually hit two miles on Sunday! =)

Reactions: JB.IC
It is, I used the mdt Mirage shield and then just taped new holes on the lower portion of the mirage shield and added a pic rail so it could be lower and closer to the scope. Worked out great! That rifle actually hit two miles on Sunday! =)

how tall is your scope rings?

This is what I did: Used #10-32 x 3/4" screws with a 1.25" wide piece of bar stock that is 3/8" thick. If I did it again I would use a WIDER than 1.25" piece and cut it down, because the 1.25 is just BARELY enough and I had to be extremely careful and precise. I'd also highly recommend using a tiny drill bit to drill pilot holes while the bar stock is clamped into the chassis to ensure proper alignment.
MDTweight.png

This is what I did: Used #10-32 x 3/4" screws with a 1.25" wide piece of bar stock that is 3/8" thick. If I did it again I would use a WIDER than 1.25" piece and cut it down, because the 1.25 is just BARELY enough and I had to be extremely careful and precise. I'd also highly recommend using a tiny drill bit to drill pilot holes while the bar stock is clamped into the chassis to ensure proper alignment.
View attachment 7371148
How much total weight did it add? The bar stock I used was 1/2 thick and I had to cut slots for all the mlok spots.
Is yours steel? Mine was brass.
Can you share a link to the bar stock you got? mine was also 1.5 wide so I had to shave the sides.

Reactions: 260284
How much total weight did it add? The bar stock I used was 1/2 thick and I had to cut slots for all the mlok spots.
Is yours steel? Mine was brass.
Can you share a link to the bar stock you got? mine was also 1.5 wide so I had to shave the sides.
2.1 lbs according to an online calculator. I bought from a seller on ebay right at the beginning of COVID. Could have saved more $$$ just by getting one at Home Depot

@Manzgear Here’s a post about the weights ideas. IMO one internal piece of bar stock and 5 exterior weight sets would be the best combo. (Although a lot of people seem to like the 1 piece external weight idea)

The exterior weights wouldn’t need any QD cup. Just drilled and counterbored for 8-32/10-32 or whatever pitch mlok will be used. Then the edges rounded or chamfered. To keep it simple you wouldn’t even need to paint or provide mlok components unless you wanted to. Everyone could paint and purchase their own hardware.

The internal 1 piece weight would be a piece of bar stock with a slight milled spot in the middle for the barrel channel, drilled and tapped 10-32 holes, and milled spots for the mlok edges.

If there is something I’m missing or other suggestions, I’m sure someone will jump in. If MDT wasn’t charging $450 for a set I would have just purchased them instead of coming up with a DIY solution. There seems to be plenty of interest if you’d like to try making a few sets. Wish I was home to send the chassis to you for fitment.

Let me know if your interested in making some. If not, I have the material for 2 sets at home and I’ll give it a go myself with a drill press and angle grinder. Lol

we love the extra weight on our rifles so far the cold rolled flat stock steel to me is the best balance of weight to size to cost . though if gold was available it would have been nice to try that lol my inner magpie would have loved the shininess of it I mean pimp my rifles would make me happy .

@MDT_Josh I would love an internal weight that was held in with the provided counter sunk holes in the bottom of the chassis and ran the full length.

we love the extra weight on our rifles so far the cold rolled flat stock steel to me is the best balance of weight to size to cost . though if gold was available it would have been nice to try that lol my inner magpie would have loved the shininess of it I mean pimp my rifles would make me happy .

I was thinking Tungsten. 1.5" W x 12"L x .5"T would weigh about 6.25 pounds but gold is a smidgen heavier at 6.28 pounds ;)

Last edited:
Somebody send this thread to MDT so they can drop the prices on those weights. Kinda stupid to ask for that much. Thumbs up on your DIY ideas, lads!

@MDT_Josh I would love an internal weight that was held in with the provided counter sunk holes in the bottom of the chassis and ran the full length.

I was thinking Tungsten. 1.5" W x 12"L x .5"T would weigh about 6.25 pounds but gold is a smidgen heavier at 6.28 pounds ;)
Somebody send this thread to MDT so they can drop the prices on those weights. Kinda stupid to ask for that much. Thumbs up on your DIY ideas, lads!

We're listening and the problem with a solid, one piece, internal weight is that you lose the modularity of being able to balance your system with the 5 internal weights. Now, in saying that, most shooters will run all the internal weights on their ACC and balance it with the external/m-lok weights and buttstock weights, so making the option of a long internal weight could make sense.

It's still something on our radar, however, we've got some other super cool stuff coming for you all soon!

Josh

We're listening and the problem with a solid, one piece, internal weight is that you lose the modularity of being able to balance your system with the 5 internal weights. Now, in saying that, most shooters will run all the internal weights on their ACC and balance it with the external/m-lok weights and buttstock weights, so making the option of a long internal weight could make sense.

It's still something on our radar, however, we've got some other super cool stuff coming for you all soon!

Josh
I hear you Josh and I appreciate the concept but I'm not really looking for balance (BLASPHEMY! :LOL: ). My goal is to keep a magnum on target and call my own shots. You know the rifle I am running and there are no PRS matches in it's future. Just belly and bench prone long range stuff. As such I just want it to settle down a bit more :) Having said that I could indeed load up the internal weights and then adjust a tad with external weights/ the butt stock weight/ ya'lls steel bag rider. A steel or brass or copper or tungsten (7.3 pounds but $$$$. Yes I got a quote on tungsten bar stock. WOW! $979.00 and a six week lead time) block with a barrel clearance cut and no M-LOK would be ideal (in my mind). The only thing I'm running on the ARCA rail is a bipod. Less cuts and less tapped holes = more weight and less cost, right? ;)

Last edited:
Anyone with the means to make these willing to sell me a set if I get an ACC?

Anyone with the means to make these willing to sell me a set if I get an ACC?

PM'd

I have purchased some equipment and I am making these for people here and there. I can't do it fast or cheap. I really don't want to make a business out of this. But, if you want weights like this and don't have the means to do it yourself I'll be glad to help you out.

823E927A-64FD-4184-8C12-40290B158964.jpeg
4EA0BE72-EE4B-4057-87B3-D3B126DD46D7.jpeg
097D3CAC-6CCD-42B2-A65F-EFE50A835714.jpeg

probably not quite as heavy as others, but I had a piece of 1.5x.5 steel channel at the shop cut it to length then went away sanding the edges. Got it down to the size to fit and painted it. Drilled and tapped all the holes, cut some 10-24 screws down And it’s about 1.3-1.4 pounds heavier now

I did something similar to @Garett73 and made my own interior weight. Interior weights were out of stock and I didn’t like the twist and bounce associated with the acc chassis so I milled out a piece of bar stock to go almost the full length. Ended up putting a couple pockets up front to help it balance out. Stiffened the chassis up quite a bit in the process. Ended up 2# 4oz before the pockets. With pockets I’m around 1# 10oz

Attachments

• A761CA6C-C632-44E4-84C7-DFF0E29CEFC8.jpeg
    A761CA6C-C632-44E4-84C7-DFF0E29CEFC8.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 150
  • 689EC720-E5BA-4F39-A34F-4DE7E1E56243.jpeg
    689EC720-E5BA-4F39-A34F-4DE7E1E56243.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 146
@A.Huggy Do you still have the file? Was it done in Solidworks or ACAD? I have both. I want to make mine full length for my V22 build and it is easier on me if I put it in Solidworks to do all the math and play around with the thickness to get the weight I want. I could start from scratch but why work harder than needed?

@A.Huggy Do you still have the file? Was it done in Solidworks or ACAD? I have both. I want to make mine full length for my V22 build and it is easier on me if I put it in Solidworks to do all the math and play around with the thickness to get the weight I want. I could start from scratch but why work harder than needed?

I do most of my CAD work in PTC Creo, but I can see if I have the appropriate licenses to export to a solidworks friendly format.

Seems like SH doesn't allow those filetypes to be attached.
Here's a link to the thingiverse page: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4651212

Obviously the chamfers, thickness, length etc is up to you. The critical dimensions are hole spacing and the cutout to match the ACC chassis and those are called out in the drawing.

Reactions: AggieJack
Awesome!

Did you use an angle grinder to do the height transition? I was just planning on a plasma torch, if I screw up and cut too much I'll MIG weld it up and grind it down for cosmetics.