• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Electronic Trigger - Zero Stage

Just think, ....... next they can design a drop in electronic trigger for the AR-15. Then some electronic hobby-ist will wire up a timer to provide a fire pulse every 1/10th of a second and viola, a machine gun.

Reminds me of it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold. Question is how do it know?

Fires when it not supposed to fire. Doesn't fire when it supposed to fire.

My triggers do what they are supposed to do 100% of the time. 99% is not good enough.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
Reminds me of it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold. Question is how do it know?

Fires when it not supposed to fire. Doesn't fire when it supposed to fire.

My triggers do what they are supposed to do 100% of the time. 99% is not good enough.
Do you trust your ECU to fire injectors when you drive? How about the throttle? Or the steering (on most modern cars). Those are all potentially life or death things you trust daily.

I hope that Labradar trigger software is better than their Labradar app because the original app sucked ass
and the new one sucks just as bad.
HAHAHAAAAA

I was thinking the EXACT same thing, but didn't want to detract from the potential here, so I kept it inside. Epic, well done.

Do you trust your ECU to fire injectors when you drive? How about the throttle? Or the steering (on most modern cars). Those are all potentially life or death things you trust daily.
You're right. But to be serious for a moment I have a lifetime of experience with most of those. Zero with an electronic trigger.

The other difference is an ECU or even steering and brakes working 99% may be OK. To me, a trigger is binary. Both Type I and Type II errors are quite serious.

And guess when the battery will fail?

The burden of proof here is very high.

I will not be an early adopter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kanwhitetails
The electronic 4wd actuator on my truck decided to start putting the transfer case in 4wd on its own. It would suck for a trigger to do something like this.

Reactions: deersniper
If you want to go into the auto qual for semis we can, not sure we would want to pay the cost for that level quality in a trigger.

To me the electronic trigger is bullshit, the entire point of accurate rifle shooting is the body and mind working together
to master a sport, an art if you will. Learning to deal with the recoil the mechanical trigger pull, breathing etcetera.

Why not get rid of the propellant launched projectile device altogether and use an electronic trigger to fire a laser to mark an electronic target. No more ammo shortages, no reloading or cleaning patches.

We have already had electronic triggers in the past,

as well the Tracking Point Device was an electronic trigger that "released" only when the reticle was in the correct place

The safety will depend on how and when it breaks and how the user interfaces with it

What I would try if I was working this project is the opposite action, on the lightest setting have it fire on release, not press
I think this is the future so that the gun fires upon removal of the applied force. No applied force no opportunity to negatively impact the shot. You are spot on sir

Rifle dead man trigger

How often do you change your mind or lose the shot when shooting competition trap? 😁

Reactions: DJL2
If it has electrons, it can be hacked.
I'll stick to my tried and true mechanical technology for a while more.

I imagine that the main problems with release trigger, including so-called binary trigger, come outside of the square range. And anyone planning to employ those in such an environment, would do well to invest a lot of time training in the use of whatever de-cock/disconnect/etc mechanism, in conjunction with real-time decisionmaking. For me it's a big "nope".

I see we both have some high-class neurons at work here.

Just think, ....... next they can design a drop in electronic trigger for the AR-15. Then some electronic hobby-ist will wire up a timer to provide a fire pulse every 1/10th of a second and viola, a machine gun.

You can do the same thing with a drill press and m16 trigger group for way less. Still illegal AF. Also 1000 shots until you need to recharge…not much of a machine gun.

I think people are losing sight of the purpose and target audience of electronic triggers. It’s not for self defense. It’s not for run and gunning. It’s for precision rifle competition to have a safe low trigger weight with no creep whatsoever to reduce trigger travel (movement) during the shot. They don’t care if you don’t want it in your field gun or sniper rifle because that was never the audience for this.

Reactions: A.Huggy
Anybody else on here get selected as a beta tester? I got an email a couple weeks ago that I was selected.
No, they sent a follow up saying that I was selected as a pre-production tester. Made me feel special but I figured that was the standard response.

I imagine it'll be a pre-production modle at a big discount and I'd get to keep it. I guess the price will be a good gut check on how curious I really am about these triggers.

Also, as far as the safety factor. The rules of firearms safety are meant to be a safety net that requires multiple failures to have a bad accident. If this was marketed as a hunting trigger I'd be much more hesitant.

I'm all for progress, but I see some dude using electronic trigger via Bluetooth from his phone, rifle locked up tight on a tripod with electronic cant gauge

basically sets up his shot and lets the rifle do the work

almost shooting like...

a photograph!

I'm all for progress, but I see some dude using electronic trigger via Bluetooth from his phone, rifle locked up tight on a tripod with electronic cant gauge

almost shooting like...

a photograph!
That was already done, Tracking Point or something like that.
ETA: in post #16 lowlight already mentioned it.

almost shooting like...

a photograph!
Remote triggering is already illegal for hunting- at least in Texas. For comps, it would be as simple as stating “no remote triggers” in the stage brief. For everything else, who cares?

I mean, if someone wants to set their rifle up on a bench and punch paper from their air conditioned car, IDGAF…

• Haha
Reactions: Jackomason
I've squeezed a few of these and it makes you feel like you have to "think in Austrian" to get it to fire for those Clint Eastwood fans that get the FireFox correlation. Electronic triggers are not new, just new to some. The Steyr trigger will go far past 1k cycles. Freaking awesome to shoot these on airpistol where locktime and follow through with a slow projectile means holding still is that much more of a factor.

Reactions: wbbh
To me the electronic trigger is bullshit, the entire point of accurate rifle shooting is the body and mind working together
to master a sport, an art if you will. Learning to deal with the recoil the mechanical trigger pull, breathing etcetera.

Why not get rid of the propellant launched projectile device altogether and use an electronic trigger to fire a laser to mark an electronic target. No more ammo shortages, no reloading or cleaning patches.
We could go back to iron sights too. :sneaky:

Electronic triggers have been around for a long time, as mentioned, in other disciplines. I had an electronic paintball gun over 20 years ago.

Most were microswitch triggers, some were hall sensors or optical. The cycle rates for a while were unreal. Like 1800rpm.

There was a while where conversions were pretty popular, and a lot of these involved a solenoid fired sear. See the Autocoker Eblade/Racegun and Sypder Electronic frames.

I felt this trigger at the show -- Very impressive -- Everyone who I saw try it appeared visibly shocked at how good it was.

After trying it myself, I texted someone else to come try it. Before they arrived, the trigger "died."

The MDT rep then took the trigger away to recharge it. I realize it it a bit of a prototype, and that is was being used constantly all day. I will also say that it felt better than I would have ever guessed.

However ... the unpredictable and immediate failure did cause me concern.

Looks fancy! If it's not waterproof in a puddle/small creek for 30mins then it's only good for matches.

I would be interested in this!

Reactions: Lwood
Debounce will not be a factor in a bolt action in the slightest.
Also, a solenoid diverts a fluid of one type or another from one side of a valve to another. If this is a servo activated sear, it’s nothing like a paintball gun trigger, which do pivot on a hinge, and activate a micro switch.
My starter solenoid doesn’t move fluid…….

Looks fancy! If it's not waterproof in a puddle/small creek for 30mins then it's only good for matches.

I would be interested in this!
by 30 minutes i hope you mean 10-14 days of junting on Afognak or anywhere else PNW/SE Alaska

I'm sure they would if the Tikka action was long enough to use CIP mags without any modification to the action.
only over a year to get a reply. those of us using long cartridges would appreciate it and that you can still fit factory ammo in them means you'd open up the market and still cover the factory guys. And the fact remains they can't build a good looking chassis to save their lives. They look like somebody lovingly, painstakingly crafted most of it, started losing interest around the mag well and just said meh, that'll do, then fuck this shit when they went to attach a stock. Given that the long magnums are popular, you'd think they'd at least try. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
only over a year to get a reply. those of us using long cartridges would appreciate it and that you can still fit factory ammo in them means you'd open up the market and still cover the factory guys. And the fact remains they can't build a good looking chassis to save their lives. They look like somebody lovingly, painstakingly crafted most of it, started losing interest around the mag well and just said meh, that'll do, then fuck this shit when they went to attach a stock. Given that the long magnums are popular, you'd think they'd at least try. :LOL:

You do know that the Tikka isn't really a "long action", more like a medium action, that's why MDT made 3.56 mags for it.

Reactions: b6graham
a tikka can't fit a CIP magazine. period. it has nothing to do with chassis design. a tikka barely handles a 7PRC or old school 300WM/7RM

you're essentially asking why a no one has built a chassis for a short action R700 that can feed 3.26" XM magazines

also chassis looks come second to function for the vast majority of people. if it looks great then awesome but i'd rather shoot a well balanced functional turd than a slick high polished aesthetic chassis that cant balance or function in modern PRS type shooting

I am really interested to see videos on this trigger to see it in action and what shooters think of it.

reviving this old thread, has anyone heard anything about when this will be available?

reviving this old thread, has anyone heard anything about when this will be available?
My gut feeling is to stay tuned within the next couple of months. Hornady has announced all of their new products for 2024 and others will too I am sure. Then we have SHOT Show towards end of January, so if the product is getting closer for released I have to imagine MDT will announce something no later than at SHOT. If we don't by then, then it's possible it became vaporware like their shot timer device.

Hammerli did this decades ago with their model 152 free pistol.

This isn’t exactly super innovative.

Hammerli did this decades ago with their model 152 free pistol.

This isn’t exactly super innovative.
What stopped then from putting it in a Remington 700?

Beats me. The free pistol eventually got banned from competition because guys were running wires from the gun down their sleeve to a spot their non shooting hand could trigger it, avoiding disturbing their sight picture.

Hammerli never had any interest in sporting rifles, but the model 152 was introduced in the 1980’s.

Then there was the Voere rifle with electronic trigger, caseless ammo, and electric ignition back in the early 1990’s.

There’s nothing particularly new here with an electronic solenoid trigger. It probably has a great trigger pull, all of it’s electronic trigger predecessors certainly did.

So in other words, their innovation stopped.

Sure did.

Just don’t confuse this new R700 pattern trigger with innovation, because ultimately it’s not particularly innovative. Just a different take on a method of primer ignition that’s been around for a long time.

If MDT pulls this product off I have no doubt it will be excellent though.

Last edited:
I'm starting to see a new market here. Solar panel scope levels so your trigger doesn't die at the worst moment possible.

Reactions: RUN8
Sure did.

Just don’t confuse this new R700 pattern trigger with innovation, because ultimately it’s not particularly innovative. Just a different take on a method of primer ignition that’s been around for a long time.

If MDT pulls this product off I have no doubt it will be excellent though.

This is like saying anything that uses anything resembling a wheel isn't innovation because someone already invented the wheel.

You might want to take a minute to actually look up the definition of innovation. And pay close attention to the differences between "innovation" and "invention." One of the literal definitions of innovation is making a change to an existing product.

I.E. whoever made the first electronic trigger "invented" the concept. Anyone after who makes changes is an innovation.

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 12.05.45 AM.png

Last edited:
Remington kinda did.
In the '90s, Rem introduced a 700-series with electronic trigger/electronic ignition. Can't remember what they called it.
Ammo was proprietary, of course. Didn't stay in production for very long.

Edit: It was called EtronX, and it was either late '90s or early '00s.

etronx-action-diagram1.jpg

Reactions: RUN8
Remington kinda did.
In the '90's, Rem introduced a 700-series with electronic trigger/electronic ignition. Can't remember what they called it.
Ammo was proprietary, of course. Didn't stay in production for very long.
Etronx. I owned one. sold it quickly. Loved having the battery die while shooting, then having to take the stock apart to put a new one in. Still have ammo for it cause no one wanted to pay 50 bucks a box back then.

Reactions: Terp