• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis

There was some info related to this up towards the beginning of the thread. Basically, my understanding is that the chassis is going to come set up for the polymer mdt mags but steel AICS mags aren't going to latch. I can attest to this, it's true because i ran into this on a howa oryx I'm reviewing, also in 6mm CM. You have to modify the latch by filing or machining off 1mm from the top of the catch. At that point you can run steel AICS mags to get the longer COAL but cant go back to the MDT ones. The MDT mags have an insanely short COAL anyway, basically just big enough for factory loaded ammo. Hope this helps.

I am reading back through the thread trying to get my head around all of the Howa 1500 SA related mag posts.

Your post definitely helps, thanks for the response. That sounds like an easy mod so I am going with the steel AICS mags. Are you using MDT steel AICS mags or another brand?

I also saw this mentioned... This looks like it is for MDT mags but would this work instead of filing down the magazine catch? I am guessing this mod lets the magazine slide farther into the mag well and then it will fit the catch location?

howa1500-modficiation-jpg.7094866

The bottom of the Howa receiver is flat, a radius in that location probably isn't going to help you. I don't have extensive knowledge of the Howa Oryx, I only have the system for a short time for T&E so I can only share what I've read here and experienced for myself.

Yes, notching the magazine is our recommended way to get up a Howa 1500 for steel body magazines. Due to the flat bottom design of the Howa the magazine hits the bottom of the action before latching. The picture above circles the area that you will need to modify. Both the polymer and steel magazines will work interchangeably when the steel magazine is notched.

Excellent, thanks for the information MDT-Official. That is an easy mod so I can handle it.

Reactions: MDT_OFFICIAL

Attachments

• IMG_20190909_220458.jpg
    IMG_20190909_220458.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 174
Not the Oryx, but your B22 LSS-RF is solid! Gen1 mags take a little effort to lock in, but should be okay. Probably move to a different stock soon. MOE was all I had laying around.
Looks great! Check out our skeleton carbine stock family which we've recently added two new models.

I found this great YT video on the Howa 1500 and the different magazine options, polymer and steel. The author shows how to modify the Howa action to accept the magazine. The description is very good and easy to follow. Easy mod. This is with a MDT stock (not Oryx) but I presume the mod would work the same way since it is a change to the action, not the chassis.

If for some reason you decided not to mod the magazine then this would work.

Reactions: Genin
A follow-up question for MDT-Official just to be sure I have this straight... Knowing that I need to modify the action or the magazine, will this steel MDT 10-round magazine work with the Howa 1500 and Oryx combination? I prefer the doube-stack steel 10-round magazine vs the Accuracy International single stack steel 10 round magazine.

MDT part# 102013-BLK.

A follow-up question for MDT-Official just to be sure I have this straight... Knowing that I need to modify the action or the magazine, will this steel MDT 10-round magazine work with the Howa 1500 and Oryx combination? I prefer the doube-stack steel 10-round magazine vs the Accuracy International single stack steel 10 round magazine.

MDT part# 102013-BLK.

Yes, that combination will work (MDT DSDF 10 round metal mag and Howa 1500 SA Oryx), you will just have to modify it in the ways described earlier in the thread :)

Reactions: JAMER
I recently got this chassis for a howa mini Grendel. I’ve ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would since it’s so Simplistic. I got the 1” spacer kit. Made a nice difference in LOP

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Must have got lucky--PMAG 10 ACs worked fine out of the box in my .308 1500/Oryx; I filed the front and back of the mags slightly until they drop free.

The cheek rest post spacing is different from the ACC/ESS, so the middle Velcro straps on the Weibad pad won't fit without mods. Probably worth giving them a call to add the Oryx as a separate model before ordering one.

Tapped the stock for a pic rail to mount an Accushot.

View attachment 7146393
Did yours have a thin pad on the cheek rest from the factory

So I assembled the Howa 1500 and the Oryx this evening. It was a piece of cake and a nice fit.

One thing I like is there is an ever-so-slight gap between the back vertical surface of the action block and the chassis inletting... This means that when the action is moving backward in the stock the recoil lug is what stops its motion, and not the back of the action, which is good. The back surface of the recoil lug fits the stock so well I am not sure that bedding the recoil lug is necessary. I may bed it later but I am in no hurry to do so.

On the magazine modification... While assembling the action to the chassis I looked carefully at the magazine to verify where the interference was. It is simple really, just remove the front top corners of the magazine where they interfere with the bottom of the action block.

Here is what the MDT AICS looks like before modification. The area circled in red is what needs to be removed (both sides, down to the bottom of the saddle shape on the front of the magazine).
MDT magazine before mod.jpg

Here is what the rough cut looks like afterwards. This will work as-is but I cleaned up the rough edges and painted it afterwards. The magazine snaps in place with a very slight floating movement, and falls free (empty) when the magazine is released. The magazine well is a little sticky in that it is the same matte finish of the rest of the chassis but with a few magazine insertions and removals it should polish up nicely.

MDT magazine after mod.jpg

Last edited:
And here is the finished assembly...
MDT Oryx chassis
Howa 1500 Action/Bolt/Barrel Assy
MDT 10-shot metal magazine
Athlon Ares 4.5-27 x 50 MIL optic
Aero Precision scope mount
Griffin Paladin muzzle brake/suppressor mount

Complete Howa 1500 6mm Oryx.jpg

Last edited:
So I assembled the Howa 1500 and the Oryx this evening. It was a piece of cake and a nice fit.

One thing I like is there is an ever-so-slight gap between the back vertical surface of the action block and the chassis inletting... This means that when the action is moving backward in the stock the recoil lug is what stops its motion, and not the back of the action, which is good. The back surface of the recoil lug fits the stock so well I am not sure that bedding the recoil lug is necessary. I may bed it later but I am in no hurry to do so.

Yes, there should be a gap you can see from inside the magazine well on the front and back. The Howa 1500 is meant to be supported on the recoil lug and the tang of the rifle. With our system bedding isn't necessary.

My Savage 12FV action does not fit down on the saddles. It rides the sides of the of the chassis. Do I need to take off a bit of material to get it on the saddles or bed it? I have gotten a few opinions at the range, but I would like to hear what I hear on this site. I think it should sit flush. It does not. I love this Chassis. I am open to all comments. Thanks, Greg

My Savage 12FV action does not fit down on the saddles. It rides the sides of the of the chassis. Do I need to take off a bit of material to get it on the saddles or bed it? I have gotten a few opinions at the range, but I would like to hear what I hear on this site. I think it should sit flush. It does not. I love this Chassis. I am open to all comments. Thanks, Greg

Hey Greg,

Good question! To quote our FAQ:

"Q: Do I need to bed my chassis?

A: No, you do not. Our chassis system utilizes a V-Block bedding system for all cylindrical actions. This eliminates the need for bedding as the action is pulled down and evenly across the entire bedding area.

The only exceptions are the non-round actions: Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard, Winchester Model 70 and Ruger M77. But our chassis fits the action in the same manner that pillar bedding does. So there's no need to bed these either!"

Here is a link to the FAQ page on our website: https://support.mdttac.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024284271-Do-I-need-to-bed-my-chassis-

And below is a Youtube video explaining the concept :)

- Josh

Reactions: gchellin
New member here looking for some wisdom. I'm looking to drop a savage 110 barreled action (6.5CM) into one of these orxy chassis, or a H-S precision pst 101/114 stock (pro-series M24). Any thoughts? It'll be almost exclusively a range rifle.

New member here looking for some wisdom. I'm looking to drop a savage 110 barreled action (6.5CM) into one of these orxy chassis, or a H-S precision pst 101/114 stock (pro-series M24). Any thoughts? It'll be almost exclusively a range rifle.

You’ll get more adjustability and less frustration attaching widgets with the Oryx.

I dropped my Savage 12FV into my new Oryx chassis. The fit and finish is excellent. I get a lot of compliments at the range also. I am real happy with mine. I think it helped my groups too.

We only offer a short action chassis for the TC Compass at this time which will not fit your 7MM Remington Magnum version. However, make sure to leave a request on the Oryx website. Also, there are no plans to offer a Ruger American AR version to the Oryx lineup; however, we do have the LSS-XL Gen 2 available for your rifle.

Any chance MDT makes a mag for the ruger american ranch 7.62 x 39 yet? Mine takes the mini-30 mags. I'd love to drop than into an MDT, but don't want to single feed it!

Any chance MDT makes a mag for the ruger american ranch 7.62 x 39 yet? Mine takes the mini-30 mags. I'd love to drop than into an MDT, but don't want to single feed it!
If you have the mini 30 magazine version you can use our LSS-XL Gen 2 for a Ruger American short action AR which will allow your rifle to use AR magazines.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
If you have the mini 30 magazine version you can use our LSS-XL Gen 2 for a Ruger American short action AR which will allow your rifle to use AR magazines.
I may be looking in the wrong places, but where would I find an ar mag for 7.62x39? To make sure I'm understanding you correctly, with the LSS-XL, I would NOT have to use my mini 30 mag anymore that came with the rifle? This just got awesome.

I was at my LGS the other night and they have 2 Howa 1500 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor in the Oryx chassis. I plan to go back either tomorrow, Wednesday, or this weekend and pick one up. Pretty impressive package. Very reasonable, too.

I may be looking in the wrong places, but where would I find an ar mag for 7.62x39? To make sure I'm understanding you correctly, with the LSS-XL, I would NOT have to use my mini 30 mag anymore that came with the rifle? This just got awesome.

Brownell's has some, same with Midway USA and I am sure there some local to you too :) The LSS-XL Gen2 for the Ruger American in 7.62x39 converts your system to an AR-15 pattern magwell and the Mini 30 magazines will not latch in or feed.

Yes, that is correct. as for 7.62X39 AR-15 magazines, there are a lot of options. Check-in with your local gun shop and they should something available.

I was at my LGS the other night and they have 2 Howa 1500 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor in the Oryx chassis. I plan to go back either tomorrow, Wednesday, or this weekend and pick one up. Pretty impressive package. Very reasonable, too.

3B1BDE63-58F0-40C9-96AB-F4EC5CD35172.jpeg

I have to say I’m really impressed with the whole setup. I’ve never owned a Howa, or MDT. Really looking forward to getting this out.

I haven’t looked yet but does Howa take Rem 700 scope bases?

Reactions: Macman25
I have three of them, they all have EGW rails and Vortex PMR rings. They aren't the same chassis as yours but they all function smooth.

Reactions: ChadL
View attachment 7153661

I have to say I’m really impressed with the whole setup. I’ve never owned a Howa, or MDT. Really looking forward to getting this out.

I haven’t looked yet but does Howa take Rem 700 scope bases?

Do they come in tan now? I just looked on their website & it still appears that they only offer these in green.

Do they come in tan now? I just looked on their website & it still appears that they only offer these in green.
Through certain dealers that deal with our sole distributor. Direct from us we are only offering the ODG panels.

I have a Savage 10t-sr and an Oryx chassis showing up today im hoping to use this weekend. I ordered mdt mags that didn't ship. what mags fit this setup besides the MDT ones. trying to search local gun shops/ online
Something like the ruger ones?
I just need to find one to get me through the weekend.

If you just need an AICS pattern magazine for something in the 308 family then you can probably find a magpul AICS mag in a store.

I forgot to say 223

Reactions: Bayhawk21
I have a Savage 10t-sr and an Oryx chassis showing up today im hoping to use this weekend. I ordered mdt mags that didn't ship. what mags fit this setup besides the MDT ones. trying to search local gun shops/ online
Something like the ruger ones?
I just need to find one to get me through the weekend.
The magazine well is an AICS pattern, so you will need an AICS magazine. We are currently one of the few manufacturers of 223 AICS magazine. However, you can use the Accurate magazine steel body one, and if you can find them, the Accuracy International polymer magazine will work as well.

The Ruger AI style magazines we've had mixed reports of how they function.

I was having trouble shouldering and getting square with the rifle. I turned the butt plate over. It fits more better.