• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis

We suggest our 308 Winchester magazine for 22-250, however, we only suggest 4 - 6 rounds at one time.

I have a Remington 700 in .22-250 incoming and am considering an Oryx. So a 5-round MDT .308 magazine should function flawlessly with .22-250?

I have a Remington 700 in .22-250 incoming and am considering an Oryx. So a 5-round MDT .308 magazine should function flawlessly with .22-250?
Works for my Savage .22-250 pushing 80gr ELD-Ms through Magpul mags

It could, we usually suggest the polymer since they seem to work the best with the 22-250.

Do you offer a 5-round polymer? My reasoning is that if over five rounds of .22-250 is going to cause a jam, I may as well use magazines that hold a maximum of five rounds to begin with.

Do you offer a 5-round polymer? My reasoning is that if over five rounds of .22-250 is going to cause a jam, I may as well use magazines that hold a maximum of five rounds to begin with.
We do not at this time. We've had been feedback that in a shorter magazine it will be fewer rounds. Likely you will get two rounds before an issue in a five-round.

Is it the tapered case design that causes issues with that particular round?

Question for MDT official : I want to buy a ORYX chassis for my Howa 1500 LA but not real crazy about Green. You offer other colors as aftermarket items, why not assemble the chassis with the customer's choice of colors ? I would rather have BLACK. Thank you.

Question for MDT official : I want to buy a ORYX chassis for my Howa 1500 LA but not real crazy about Green. You offer other colors as aftermarket items, why not assemble the chassis with the customer's choice of colors ? I would rather have BLACK. Thank you.
They covered this previously here somewhere. It has to do with logistics, simplicity and keeping costs down. In order to keep the Oryx Chassis as (relatively) cheap as it is they package them with one color of panels and no selection option. Would add a lot to the overhead to have somebody looking at each order, going picking out the right side panels, putting them on the chassis, boxing it up again and sending it vs just grabbing the correct inletted box off a shelf, slapping a label on it and sending it out the door. Makes sense IMO.

Thank you Epsilon, what you say does make sense. The Legacy Sports website does offer different color panels but not black and they are out of grey. I know it is only $40 for additional color panels but I am trying to save a buck, the mag is an additional $80 so just trying to stretch my $$$$.

Basically, what was said by @Epsilon is the case. Since we are a production company and our goal is to be in stock and ready to ship (isn't always possible, but we are working on that). Adding extra colors means that each chassis would require four variations, which means we have to carry four times the stock and 399.00$ goes out the window right away. Then you have to deal with other symptoms of that which includes things like product aging and so on.

Thank you, I can understand that. Now my next question : I have had email with Ryan Holmquist and he told me that the mag I need is on a different page, I have a Howa 1500 in 270 Win. and want the STEEL mag. I do not want the plastic mag. It comes in a 10 shot. Is it available in a 5 shot ? I know I can load less rounds in the 10 but I just don't want all the extra mag hanging below the chassis. Thanks.

Thank you, I can understand that. Now my next question : I have had email with Ryan Holmquist and he told me that the mag I need is on a different page, I have a Howa 1500 in 270 Win. and want the STEEL mag. I do not want the plastic mag. It comes in a 10 shot. Is it available in a 5 shot ? I know I can load less rounds in the 10 but I just don't want all the extra mag hanging below the chassis. Thanks.
We only offer a 5 round (based on magnum rounds) steel magazine in a long action.

I finally pulled the trigger and am expecting my Oryx with FDE panels and a new can of Flat Black Krylon waiting for a good use. Expecting it to be delivered 9-14-20. Will be ordering the Cheek Riser thumbscrews once they show in stock again. I may not need LOP spacers as my LOP typically measures out right at 13.5".

Last edited:
Reactions: MDT_OFFICIAL
My Oryx showed up as expected yesterday. Did not get the opportunity to put it together but for $400 it is pretty impressive. I may not hit the panels with a flat black rattle can as I like the FDE panels. The only real visible issues are where the gate area of the molds that produce the panels were not deburred/trimmed exceptionally well. There may be a little outgassing going on and perhaps a little shrinkage as well. The machining appears to be quite good although there is some mismatch from one side to the other, mostly in the areas of the thumb rests. Someone who does not do what I do for a living may never notice such things and it absolutely will not affect function at all. I'm fairly well pleased, so far.

Got my 110 Tactical action dropped in to my Oryx yesterday. So far in dry fire no issues with Magpul mags. I'll be checking my MDT polymer mag today. Hopefully the Reno/Sparks area will get some relief from all the California fire smoke here pretty soon so I can go stretch it out.

Attachments

• 162.PNG
    162.PNG
    3.2 MB · Views: 262
I ran 30 rounds of dry fire with my MDT polymer mag yesterday. Easier to insert into the gun than the Magpul mags. They come out a bit easier, too. I do believe I'll be buying only MDT mags from here on out. No noticeable difference in feeding or cycling, my one sample just feels better than my 2 Magpuls.
The MDT feels narrower so that's what I believe makes them go in and out easier. I haven't as yet brought them in to work to check for any differences in size, I measure machined, molded, and cast parts for a living so it shouldn't be an issue making a comparison between the 2.) Blueprints/drawings would be nice so I could see the dimensions and tolerances and any GD&T feature control frames.

196.PNG194.PNG
I made a few upgrades/improvements to my Oryx. Added an Armageddon Gear Cheeky Bastard stock pad. Swapped out the set screws in the adjustable comb for the thumbscrews. Changed out the stock overmolded grip for the MDT adjustable vertical grip. I replaced my "Ghetto Garage" homemade bag rider for the Jamer bag rider. No pic of the Jamer yet.
The grip is awesome, the Jamer is a really good stabilizing addition, and with my stroke deficits and pinched nerve in my left hip I need all the stability I can get. The thumbscrews are...well, thumbscrews. Much easier and quicker to make height changes on the fly if needed. Next up is to dump the Harris bipod for an Atlas, I think.
I may have a tracking issue with my Athlon that I'm going to be trying to validate here pretty soon.

View attachment 7463843View attachment 7463846
I made a few upgrades/improvements to my Oryx. Added an Armageddon Gear Cheeky Bastard stock pad. Swapped out the set screws in the adjustable comb for the thumbscrews. Changed out the stock overmolded grip for the MDT adjustable vertical grip. I replaced my "Ghetto Garage" homemade bag rider for the Jamer bag rider. No pic of the Jamer yet.
The grip is awesome, the Jamer is a really good stabilizing addition, and with my stroke deficits and pinched nerve in my left hip I need all the stability I can get. The thumbscrews are...well, thumbscrews. Much easier and quicker to make height changes on the fly if needed. Next up is to dump the Harris bipod for an Atlas, I think.
I may have a tracking issue with my Athlon that I'm going to be trying to validate here pretty soon.
That looks great. I didn’t realize they were doing FDE but that chassis looks good! I put the sale grip and won’t do their other one I like it so much.

That looks great. I didn’t realize they were doing FDE but that chassis looks good! I put the sale grip and won’t do their other one I like it so much.
I found the FDE at EABCO. I like it, too. Not going to drop $40 on black panels or rattlecan it. The grip is a pretty simple and slick design.

1.PNG3.PNG
And a couple of shots with the Jamer bag rider in place of my Ghetto Garage homemade bag rider. I'm liking this a lot, but only dry fire so far. It provides a good amount of stability over the narrow stock of the Oryx.

I am currently building a 284 Win with a Savage 110BA LA action in an MDT Oryx chassis. I am waiting for the McGowen barrel which is being throated for ELDM 180s set at 3.24" COL. I am using Magpul PMAG MAG671 (30-06) magazines. My rounds feed perfectly with these magazines in the Oryx chassis.

Previously I tried building a 284 on a Savage SA however there's just no way to magazine feed long/heavy rounds. It shot great, however I was limited to 162gr bullets.
20201106_152654.jpg
20201106_152702.jpg

Reactions: TACC and MojoNixon
Just got mind for my Rem700 ADL I'm going to convert to a mag feeder.

Looks great

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Picked up one of these for a Howa 1500 SA plus three magazines and a few other goodies on Thanksgiving Day from Oryx and MDT. UPS can't ship fast enough, hopefully I'll be ready for the range by Saturday :)

Mr Josh, if I have a Ruger American with the flush fit magazine; will this chassis allow me to use with my rifle? Or does it already have to be able to accept AICS magazines or is this not compatible with my rifle?

Mr Josh, if I have a Ruger American with the flush fit magazine; will this chassis allow me to use with my rifle? Or does it already have to be able to accept AICS magazines or is this not compatible with my rifle?

Good question! When upgrading to an Oryx chassis, you will be switching out the compatibility with the factory, flush mags for AICS magazines. The chassis is basically the same as an AICS bottom metal upgrade, however, there is no need to inlet anything or bed anything, just tighten the two action screws and go :D

The only caveat to this is if you have one of the AR-15/Mini-30 compatible receivers designed to work with 7.62x39, 300 BLK, etc., then we do not currently offer an Oryx for those, however, MDT does offer a solution with the LSS-XL Gen2 Ruger American AR chassis.

Hope this helps,
Josh

No sir, I have a American predator in .243, serial number starting 697-15###.
It is the early style that you can't swap out mag wells to convert. So if I'm understanding you correctly, I don't need the bottom cut in the bolt to switch to an AICS chassis? If that's Truly the case, you just sold an Oryx chassis!

I just found this tread and read some of this tread and would like too know if the R700 LA will fit a Lone Peak Arms Razor .338 action?

No sir, I have a American predator in .243, serial number starting 697-15###.
It is the early style that you can't swap out mag wells to convert. So if I'm understanding you correctly, I don't need the bottom cut in the bolt to switch to an AICS chassis? If that's Truly the case, you just sold an Oryx chassis!

Yep you should have zero issues dropping that into an Oryx and running your 243 out of an AICS magazine!

Josh

Reactions: HeathAdams
I just found this tread and read some of this tread and would like too know if the R700 LA will fit a Lone Peak Arms Razor .338 action?

Welcome! Yes, it will fit, but you will not be able to utilize the 3.850" CIP magazines that work a little better for the 338 LM, you will, unfortunately, be limited to 3.715" magazines :(

Josh

• Sad
Reactions: Nathantc and Balor
Forgive me for being lazy and not going through all 17 pages but is it going to be available for us wrong handed folk (left handed)

Forgive me for being lazy and not going through all 17 pages but is it going to be available for us wrong handed folk (left handed)

I am a lefty too, and no, the Oryx is not available for us yet :( You can modify the metal to fit a LH action pretty easily, it just doesn't look great unless you refinish it.

Josh

Not currently unfortunately. This is one of our more basic chassis, so the feature set had to be intentionally limited to keep the costs down for you guys!

Josh
Thanks Josh. I wouldn't expect that at this price point from the OEM so I hope it didn't sound like a complaint. I asked on here because was kind of wondering if there were 3rd party companies doing them like the Jamer bag rider

@MDT_Josh, can you please comment on the MDT Howa Mini magazine depicted here? They appear longer (higher capacity) than the Legacy Sports Mini magazines. Are these 10-round Grendel flavor? Can you provide the max internal OAL length, please?

oryx-mountain.jpg

It's been a year, any chance there's been progress on a 10-round magazine system for the Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel? I'd buy two. :)

It's been another year, and I'm enquiring whether the 10-rnd MDT Grendel Magazine subject's been discussed again. I'd buy four, maybe more, if they came to market ;)

Just read through the thread looking to ask the same question!
Yes it is, l used the v-tap assembly made for the Ruger Rpr. In this case I needed to replace one of the upper bolts on the oryx chassis with a longer one and drill / threat the lower one. I’m happy with the result.

Reactions: mrwug