• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis

So I've also been wondering about a front sling mount solution. I tried having a sling mounted to the bottom and didn't like the way the rifle hung. I've been thinking about drilling a hole in the front left panel which would correspond with the extra hole in the chassis and then try to rig something up that way. It appears as though there would be ample room for a small backer on the inside of the barrel channel. The pictures aren't great but they should get my point across. I'm not exactly sure where I would go from there but to me, it seems like a good place to start.
DSCN2655.JPGDSCN2657.JPGDSCN2662.JPG

Reactions: Rover31
@Jibles not a bad idea at all!
I’m sure it would void any type of warranty. Not that I can see any need for a warranty but it would I’m sure.
I’ll look st mine and ponder this.

FYI if you plan on sticking with this chassis and you have average length arms or longer, add the spacers to your order. The LOP is pretty short with only the one included spacer.

My only bitch about the Orxy is the flat bottom on the butt stock. I've tried sand bags and bags with ears on them. Just when I'm comfortable, the rear bag moves. How do you people work the butt stock?

My only bitch about the Orxy is the flat bottom on the butt stock. I've tried sand bags and bags with ears on them. Just when I'm comfortable, the rear bag moves. How do you people work the butt stock?
I don’t see how a bag can slip in a bunny ear bag... uless you mean it slips (tracks) backwards like it’s supposed to under recoil. Sounds like you need to get your bunny ears at the proper height probably, they aren’t made for squeezing, that’s what a benchrest is designed to accommodate. Or do you mean it falls off because it’s so short and you’re trying to fully shoulder it dragging it to the rear?

I don’t see how a bag can slip in a bunny ear bag... uless you mean it slips (tracks) backwards like it’s supposed to under recoil. Sounds like you need to get your bunny ears at the proper height probably, they aren’t made for squeezing, that’s what a benchrest is designed to accommodate. Or do you mean it falls off because it’s so short and you’re trying to fully shoulder it dragging it to the rear?
I made this bag rider from a piece of Aluminum tubing some aluminum angle and a pair of 1" scope rings used one of the existing holes for attaching the color side plate and made a threaded plug for the flush mount tube works great and
6.5G 1.jpg

I’ve been following the Oryx for a while now, trying to decide if it’s the chassis for my budget Howa build. I jumped on Brownells’ great sale last fall! I’m torn between it and the KRG Bravo. I too have concerns about the short stock base for riding a bag and I think it could be a simple fix by Oryx, if even sold as aftermarket replacement panels. Why not mold the polymer stock panels with a little bit of an extension forward of the chassis aluminum. Maybe 3” or so, and maybe with a bit of a hook molded in. Other than creating the initial molds, with polymer it should be an easy, inexpensive upgrade for the consumer. Here’s an idea of what’s in my mind...original vs the upgrade.
2DE30BEF-0F36-4E7A-8FC6-06A9D9295AF5.jpeg
0C01ADD2-24B6-460E-BE31-4987E7555FB0.jpeg

I’ve been following the Oryx for a while now, trying to decide if it’s the chassis for my budget Howa build. I jumped on Brownells’ great sale last fall! I’m torn between it and the KRG Bravo. I too have concerns about the short stock base for riding a bag and I think it could be a simple fix by Oryx, if even sold as aftermarket replacement panels. Why not mold the polymer stock panels with a little bit of an extension forward of the chassis aluminum. Maybe 3” or so, and maybe with a bit of a hook molded in. Other than creating the initial molds, with polymer it should be an easy, inexpensive upgrade for the consumer. Here’s an idea of what’s in my mind...original vs the upgrade.

Anyone know someone over at Victor company? I had a similar thought to you, and their viper skins came to mind. The oryx backbone seems to be similar in basic concept to an AI backbone. I am NOT saying they're the same. I think the main consideration would be whether there are differences in the external measurements between individual copies of the oryx. If not, then a mass producable thing should be possible.

Was able to get my T1X to the range today after installing the Oryx Friday. Love how it feels, and it seems to have tightened up the groups as well.

I do like @sierra2 redesigned rear plastics and would like to see them as an accessory @MDT_Josh. I can see were they would make using a rear bag a little easier. Overall, it is an awesome chassis for the price. It was definitely worth the wait.

On a side note, has anyone got around to painting their Oryx yet?

Has anyone found a 10 round mag that will work with the Howa 1500 Oryx?

Last edited:
Has anyone found a 10 round mag that will work with the Howa 1500 Oryx?
Im using magpul AICS..had to take out the mag latch and file 1mm off the top so it latches...I have not run it in field conditions yet but it seems
to work fine when 'dry' cycling..

I'll have a chance here soon to try it out and will report back.

Im using magpul AICS..had to take out the mag latch and file 1mm off the top so it latches...I have not run it in field conditions yet but it seems
to work fine when 'dry' cycling..

I'll have a chance here soon to try it out and will report back.

Talked to MDT and they were very helpful. They said to just file/remove ~3mm off the front edges/corners of their metal mags to allow it to clear the flat bottom receivers like the Howa. They even sent me a picture showing where to remove the metal.
Howa1500 modficiation..jpg

MDT_Josh - I'm using a Bighorn Origin action, I know that it is based on the REM 700 footprint, can you confirm that my action will fit the Oryx chassis? The action does not have the trigger-based bolt release. Thanks.

Just installed by Tikka T1x into the Oryx chassis. Just quick trip to the range, shoots great despite the windy conditions. Definitely likes the Action screws torqued pretty tight. Just over an 1 inch at 100m with CCI SV. Shoots SK Rifle Match well also. I installed a generic 12 inch Arca rail on the bottom of the forend.
20190614_191457.jpg
20190614_190728.jpg
I'm liking the Oryx chassis in this configuration, poor man's ACC?
Ed

Reactions: DRAGON64 and TACC
Anyone load the Oryx magazine with 308 with a COAL over 2.800"? The website states that 2.800" is the max cartridge overall length.
Oryx Max COAL Length
That's a bummer for me since factory 168 gr Hornady ELD Match ammo is 2.800" and my custom loads are longer than that. I was looking hard at this chassis but the magazine restrictions are going to push me over to the KRG Bravo.

I can confirm that it will be a drop in fit :)
MDT_Josh - Thank you for your confirmation on the Bighorn Origin fitment.
Can you comment on my note above about bullet length limits of the Oryx specific magazine? I know 'other magazines' can accommodate longer OAL bullets but the 'other magazines' seem to require a level of customization by the end user in order to operate properly in the Oryx chassis. I really do not want to have to deal with having to customize $40+ magazines. I guess what I am saying is I think you have a gem here minus the magazine issue, which is a big issue for me.
Thanks again for your attention and your response to the community.

Steve

Reactions: MDT_Josh
The SA Oryx takes standard AICS short action magazines (3.055in magazine OAL), and the standard COAL for polymer AICS SA magazines is 2.800in-ish. I don’t know whether the Origin can use a magazine without a binder plate, but call Bighorn tomorrow and ask them about that.

MDT’s Metal magazines have COALs of 2.870in with and 2.960in without binder plates, but still fit in that same 3.055in bounding length. (I bet the magwell itself is closer to 3.070 to allow a good fit with some dirt.)

Reactions: stevenlgts
My only wish for my oryx would be that I wish I had a large area to rest on a bag in the stock!

My only complaint about my oryx now that I figured out an arca plan for it! Seriously considering drilling and tapping for like an aliminum plate!

MDT_Josh - Thank you for your confirmation on the Bighorn Origin fitment.
Can you comment on my note above about bullet length limits of the Oryx specific magazine? I know 'other magazines' can accommodate longer OAL bullets but the 'other magazines' seem to require a level of customization by the end user in order to operate properly in the Oryx chassis. I really do not want to have to deal with having to customize $40+ magazines. I guess what I am saying is I think you have a gem here minus the magazine issue, which is a big issue for me.
Thanks again for your attention and your response to the community.

Steve

@gnochi kinda nailed it with his answer, but to elaborate, the Oryx magazines are the same as our MDT polymer magazines with an internal maximum length of 2.800" +/- a few thousandths depending on the injection molding process. To be honest, they run most 308 Win based cartridges just fine, however, they usually require a rat tailed or circular file at the front edge to open up clearance for Creedmoor/XC type rounds at "factory length". If you're handloading over that SAAMI spec length to get closer to your lands, our polymer magazines will probably not work for you without modification.

When I first started shooting MDT products, I took a file to the front of my two polymer magazines to fit my 6.5 Creedmoor (then loaded at around 2.850") and managed to get them to work, but I found that I was better off with the metal magazines in the long run :) YMMV.

-Josh

I am waiting on the long action as well!( savage 300 win mag.) at one time they were scheduled for april 19 ! hopefully soon!

The SA Oryx takes standard AICS short action magazines (3.055in magazine OAL), and the standard COAL for polymer AICS SA magazines is 2.800in-ish. I don’t know whether the Origin can use a magazine without a binder plate, but call Bighorn tomorrow and ask them about that.

MDT’s Metal magazines have COALs of 2.870in with and 2.960in without binder plates, but still fit in that same 3.055in bounding length. (I bet the magwell itself is closer to 3.070 to allow a good fit with some dirt.)
Gnochi,
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to give Bighorn Arms a call tomorrow. This is my first custom action build so I want to get it right and better understand the magazine issue.
Steve

Reactions: gnochi
Just installed by Tikka T1x into the Oryx chassis. Just quick trip to the range, shoots great despite the windy conditions. Definitely likes the Action screws torqued pretty tight. Just over an 1 inch at 100m with CCI SV. Shoots SK Rifle Match well also. I installed a generic 12 inch Arca rail on the bottom of the forend. View attachment 7095391View attachment 7095392I'm liking the Oryx chassis in this configuration, poor man's ACC?
Ed

What Arca rail did you use and did it "bend" okay to make the transition from the front to the back of the hand guard?

What Arca rail did you use and did it "bend" okay to make the transition from the front to the back of the hand guard?
It was from ebay. 300mm QR Quick Release Plate for Benro Arca Swiss Camera Tripod Ball Head. Here is the link https://www.ebay.ca/itm/300mm-QR-Qu...a-Swiss-Camera-Tripod-Ball-Head-/113369354106

It has a bit of flex that allows it to follow the contour of the forend. Is not a perfect fit, but it allows the Arca attachments to move along the full length of the rail...

Thank you for the prompt reply. Will a 7mm Remington magnum feed properly?