• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis

So forgive me if this is obvious to some, but this is my rifle:

https://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26968.html

Will the Oryx fit this rifle and work reliably if I only substitute AICS mags for the Magpul OEM mag?

No worries, but unfortunately no. The rifle you have will run in our LSS-XL Gen2 built for the Ruger American that takes AR mags, but will not work in the Oryx. Trying to get 300 BLK to feed out of a standard AICS pattern magazine is tricky thing to do, and that is why we have inletted the XL Gen2 to just keep running the AR/PMags you've got!

Thanks! IRONICALLY-my rifle is unfired. I bought it ONLY as a suppressor host and my can in in "NFA Jail" at the moment. I know some will probably slay me for saying this but I've shot ARs too long to care for a traditional rifle stock (requiring the extreme "bent wrist" position and 45 degree angle of approach to the trigger) so I am working toward chassis systems for both my bolt gun rifle projects. I MUCH prefer the hand/wrist/trigger finger ergos that a chassis offers.

I have a Tikka T3X CTR. With this chassis and action combo would I want to use binder plate or non binder plate mags? Is there a way for one to figure this information out for other chassis action combos without asking in forums?

Thanks

Another Savage owner patiently waiting here. This chassis looks fantastic and the price is right! Looking at the orientation options, will you offer a left-hand version in the future? Thank you!

I have a Tikka T3X CTR. With this chassis and action combo would I want to use binder plate or non binder plate mags? Is there a way for one to figure this information out for other chassis action combos without asking in forums?

Thanks

You're right, we should have a compatibility chart up on the site, but the Tikka's can actually run wither binder or non-binder plate mags without issue. However, we recommend using binder plate magazines in everything, unless you are specifically wanting to reload a long, pointy bullet past 2.890".

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Another Savage owner patiently waiting here. This chassis looks fantastic and the price is right! Looking at the orientation options, will you offer a left-hand version in the future? Thank you!

Thanks for the kind words and I promise you, we are working as hard as we can! No word on the future release yet, you will have to keep an eye on the website/social media ;)

You're right, we should have a compatibility chart up on the site, but the Tikka's can actually run wither binder or non-binder plate mags without issue. However, we recommend using binder plate magazines in everything, unless you are specifically wanting to reload a long, pointy bullet past 2.890".

Good to know, my COAL for the load I built is ~2.9. So the binder/non-binder is strictly action specific or do certain chassis only accept binder/non-binder?

Good to know, my COAL for the load I built is ~2.9. So the binder/non-binder is strictly action specific or do certain chassis only accept binder/non-binder?

The binder/non-binder plate magazines are strictly action specific and mostly affect Remington and Savage owners more than anything. In saying that, the safe bet is to always use binder plate mags unless you want to modify your action :)

Any plans for a R700 long action model?

Maybe in the future, but we're still working on getting the initial run out. Seeing how well they're already doing, I wouldn't be surprised if we see them sometime next year!

Josh, What is the weight, color otions and LOP.

Weight: 4-4.5lbs depending on inlet (chassis, grip, buttstock and empty mag)
Colour: Initial release is an OD Green but multiple colours will probably be available next year
LOP: Roughly 13.5" I believe but I am not 100% on that one. You can extend it by the use of spacers :D

There is mention earlier in the thread about needing to modify things to fit a standard AICS metal magazine if so have a link to what needs to be done to make things work?

I see now that Savage SA is now listed as an option. It's fantastic that MDT/Oryx is listening to its customer base.

I've been very happy with my BRN-1/Howa Mini Grendel and just received an HS3 today for my Howa 1500 SA .223.

I wonder if the Oryx has a way to attach a pic rail to the stock to use a monopod?

Last edited:
Reactions: MDT_Josh
I see now that Savage SA is now listed as an option. It's fantastic that MDT/Oryx is listening to its customer base.

I've been very happy with my BRN-1/Howa Mini Grendel and just received an HS3 today for my Howa 1500 SA .223.

I wonder if the Oryx has a way to attach a pic rail to the stock to use a monopod?

Great to hear @Cotay, but unfortunately, there is no way to attach a rear monopod to the Oryx. However, the forend is full m-lok on the underside so there is a ton of options for mounting accessories up there.

Hopefully the Savage is set up for 4.275’ and 4.4’ actions.

Yes, it will be :) There are so many of each of the Savages out there (as well as the bottom/top bolt releases) that it doesn't make sense to support both of them!

how long is the forearm before it gets to mag well ?
very interested for 6.5 mini build

I would like to see a picture of the action bed.
This is not the Oryx V-block, but it looks almost identical unless you're shooting a Howa 1500 SA/LA or Mini.

Attachments

• mdths3vblock.jpg
    mdths3vblock.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 307
Reactions: Rover31
Went to the website to order one and the Tikka T3 is no longer an option? Is this a permanent thing or just an inventory issue, if an inventory issue any ETA?

Went to the website to order one and the Tikka T3 is no longer an option? Is this a permanent thing or just an inventory issue, if an inventory issue any ETA?
Nope, the T3x should be available and we're looking into it now. Check back in a little bit and it should be back!

Josh, can you describe what the modifications are to allow use of AICS magazines?

After reading through this thread, I was going to chime in as another one interested in seeing it available for a Savage action, but pleasantly surprised to see that available before getting to the end of the thread... nice!!
Great to see another affordable, but well made stock/chassis option!

Josh, can you describe what the modifications are to allow use of AICS magazines?

After reading through this thread, I was going to chime in as another one interested in seeing it available for a Savage action, but pleasantly surprised to see that available before getting to the end of the thread... nice!!
Great to see another affordable, but well made stock/chassis option!

Thanks for the interest in our products @Rimfiremike ! To clarify, are you asking how to get the AICS mags to work in the Oryx or specifically with the Howa? As it stands right now, all the proposed inlets for the Oryx (except for the Howa 1500 SA and Howa Mini) will work with standard AICS pattern mags, without modification. The Mini uses a proprietary magazine from Howa, so we just inlet for that. If you're asking about the 1500 SA, I can jump into that too.

As for the Savage +1, we're on it and are working on having them available early March as stated on the website (Oryxchassis.com)!

Thanks for getting the site fixed. Got mine ordered, excited to try it out.

Tag.

What a great time to be into precision rifles!

@MDT_Josh How much of a thumb shelf is there? Can you post a pic from above?

Thanks

Last edited:
Tag.

What a great time to be into precision rifles!

@MDT_Josh How much of a thumb shelf is there? Can you post a pic from above?

Thanks
I agree! There are so many great options at so many price points, it's almost unbelievable.
It may be a little trick to see from here, but there is a bit of a thumb shelf on each side of the Oryx chassis. If you've shot our ESS or LSS-XL Gen2 chassis, the ergonomics are pretty close.
20190102_082218.jpg

@MDT_Josh are there plans to put out additional hi-res images of the chassis or get it out to people who will give an overview/review like 8541 Tactical?

When are you guys going to do a Rem 700 LA inlet ?
I have a Model 78 Sportsman in 30/06 that might make a good candidate for a chassis.

uhhmmm… @MDT_Josh ...ive had the money down for almost two months now. for my @Matt @ LSI howa 1500 6.5 cm hvy bareldA..still not left my account...I really want you guys to take my money! my sleepful nights depend on this...most of my other parts for this build have showed up already!

Yes. The website is still under a lot of construction right now and I believe there are some reviewers with hands on them as well as more heading out!

Looking forward to reading the reviews from the testers that have them now. Haven't decided on a stock yet for a build that is in the works, but this one looks very promising.
Can you update us here when review(s) that you mentioned get posted online?

When are you guys going to do a Rem 700 LA inlet ?
I have a Model 78 Sportsman in 30/06 that might make a good candidate for a chassis.

That's a good question and I am not sure on the status of LA inlets right now for the Oryx. I will update you guys as soon as I know more!

uhhmmm… @MDT_Josh ...I've had the money down for almost two months now. for my @Matt @ LSI howa 1500 6.5 cm hvy bareldA..still not left my account...I really want you guys to take my money! my sleepful nights depend on this...most of my other parts for this build have showed up already!

@Farmerdanss I worry about your sleepless nights and I am sorry that we're causing them :( As far as I know, we have officially launched the Oryx brand (switched from pre-orders to actual orders) and will be shipping them out ASAP! If you'd like a more accurate timeline on your order, PM me or email/call ([email protected] or 1-604-393-0800) our support team and we'll be happy to help you out!

Looking forward to reading the reviews from the testers that have them now. Haven't decided on a stock yet for a build that is in the works, but this one looks very promising.
Can you update us here when review(s) that you mentioned get posted online?

Awesome to hear and I hope the Oryx is what you're looking for! I will do my best to update this thread when I see posts, videos and reviews come up.

I have been looking to get rid of my KRG chassis with polymer only forend and their lackluster customer service.

I emailed MDT once and got much more info than I wanted and felt they had great CS

Going to sell my junk KRG chassis and pick one up for my Howa 1500 and hopefully the Savage SA side bolt release if/when you release one.

I have been looking to get rid of my KRG chassis with polymer only forend and their lackluster customer service.

I emailed MDT once and got much more info than I wanted and felt they had great CS

Going to sell my junk KRG chassis and pick one up for my Howa 1500 and hopefully the Savage SA side bolt release if/when you release one.

Curious why KRG chassis is “junk?” I’m looking at different chassis and wanted some input.

I guess it's more the lack of accessories I can't add to the chassis. Mine have the x-ray/alpha forend so all polymer and only accepts the old Magpul MOE rails. Can't add a Spigot mount or anything else to get the bipod closer to the barrel. I can pull the barrel and forend together when the action is properly torqued down.
The metal forend might not do that and might be better however the models I have I am unable to upgrade, Savage and Howa.

ETA: I bought them on a blem sale and I should have done more research. but come on, all polymer forend?

@MDT_Josh Just went through this thread and last time I see you mentioning the side panel colors you mentioned green, but that was well over a month ago. The website is showing grey panels.

Inventory issue, website issue, or change in design? Just looking for some clarification and wondering what will actually be received.

Also, kudos to you guys for this!

Is the Savage SA compatible with the savage bottom bolt release, and does it accept aics mags?