• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis

My Oryx chassis showed up and I dropped in my Vudoo V22 to try it out. Took all of about 1 minute to install. I installed an Arca rail on the bottom, a direct mount for my tripod. I ran out of M Lok bolts so I used 1/4 in stainless bolt with a nylock nut. The nut fits inside the forend perfectly and holds the nut in place, no wrench required. I found the new grip to be very comfortable and is similar to an Ergo grip. A quick range trip to test it out and my Vudoo shoots great in the new chassis. I really like the ergos and design. The advantage of the plastic panels is apparent in the cold as it was right at the freezing temp.. The forend has a pre threaded 10x32 hole on the bottom and I installed a sling swivel to attach my bipod to. I'm also running a Tikka t3 in my 2nd Oryx chassis I had ordered and I really like it. I have used the MDT ESS chassis for several years now and I have tried the MDT LSS XL Gen2, but for the price point features and design, you can't beat the Oryx. It is going to be a big seller for Oryx/MDT!!. I'm going to get a couple more!!

Ed

20190221_184417.jpg

20190226_124802.jpg

20190226_100522.jpg

20190226_100557.jpg

Last edited:
Still looking for a left hand short action-is it simpler on the manufacturing side to modify for all of the different RH action inlets than set up for 2-3 highest volume LH actions? Seems to leave a pretty reasonable market segment without an option till all of the RH actions have been completed. Pressing a bit because I’d like a get a LH Rem700 SA soon as available, which appears to be six months out from list above.

Thanks for your interest in our products and I wish I had better news for you! The tricky thing with the Oryx in LH is that we have specific polymer side panels that were only made for RH actions to begin with. We may be able to modify the mold that does them, but then that would cause a huge backlog in RH chassis availability. The other option would be for us to create a brand new mold for LH side polymer, but the investment may not be offset by the amount of LH chassis that we would have to run to pay it back.

The absolute best way to see a LH chassis made in the future is to request it here: https://oryxchassis.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Without the requests, we can't really justify doing it :(

Also, thanks @ed99 for the kind words and review :)

Reactions: MR.TJW
No, unfortunately the inside of the forend is different and there is no m-lok on the sides.

The outside weights will fit the LSS-XL Gen2, ESS, Tac21 and LSS Gen2 however :D

Conceivably you could put some of the M-lok weights on the bottom. May not be the slickest solution though.

Disregard, I saw the CZ 455 listed as of May of 2019. Are there any talks of a possible chassis for 10/22 or 10/22 style receivers in the future?

Yes, we're on track to have a few more CZ 455 inlets available soon, and no word on the 10/22 style receivers just yet. We are always looking to provide what people want, and if there is enough request, we may be able to do an Oryx 10/22?

Looks great. I'm waiting on an optics planet backorder. 10% off coupons knock off a couple bucks.

Last edited:
How are things looking for april 19 shipping for L/A Savage really got my fingers crossed.This chassis looks great and at a decent price! how about defferent color options in april.
Thanks Rick

Question on the CZ 455 version: Will it be inlet for aftermarket triggers like the Timney or CZ's Fly trigger?

Tried to order a chassis tonight and no go with Win 10 Edge, then tried Chrome got all the way to place order and button didn't work, I guess I talked myself out of it after that

Tried to order a chassis tonight and no go with Win 10 Edge, then tried Chrome got all the way to place order and button didn't work, I guess I talked myself out of it after that

I also had issues but I finally got my chassis and am very pleased. Would recommend giving it another go

Got an email from Oryx saying I could call them, then I got to thinking I wanted to use this on a 6.5 G Ruger Predator the chassis is set up for 308 mag length and that is a problem for feeding the shorter case. So I will pass for now. Primal Rights make a short case adapter for the metal AICS mags but I understand that the Oryx uses the polymer mags.

Got an email from Oryx saying I could call them, then I got to thinking I wanted to use this on a 6.5 G Ruger Predator the chassis is set up for 308 mag length and that is a problem for feeding the shorter case. So I will pass for now. Primal Rights make a short case adapter for the metal AICS mags but I understand that the Oryx uses the polymer mags.

You're able to use the metal magazines in the Ruger American Oryx chassis :) If you were to go with the Primal Rights kit and get the rounds to feed out of a 308 metal magazine, that mag would adapt just fine into the Oryx.

You're able to use the metal magazines in the Ruger American Oryx chassis :) If you were to go with the Primal Rights kit and get the rounds to feed out of a 308 metal magazine, that mag would adapt just fine into the Oryx.
I know the earlier models of mdt (and everyone elses too) ruger american chassis didnt play well with 300 black out and 223 rounds (rotary mag model in particular). Does the oryx or is it still a bad combination for the small sized cases?

Last edited:
I know the earlier models of mdt (and everyone elses too) ruger american chassis didnt play well with 300 black out and 223 rounds (rotary mag model in particular). Does the oryx or is it still a bad combination for the small sized cases?

Nope, that is still an issue and there was only one magazine (made by Accurate Mag for the Ruger Scout Rifle) that would solve the 223 Rem feeding. With the 6.5 Grendel, what I am saying is that; if you're able to get it to feed out of a metal AICS magazine with a spacer kit, then it will work in our chassis too :)

Nope, that is still an issue and there was only one magazine (made by Accurate Mag for the Ruger Scout Rifle) that would solve the 223 Rem feeding. With the 6.5 Grendel, what I am saying is that; if you're able to get it to feed out of a metal AICS magazine with a spacer kit, then it will work in our chassis too :)
Damn. Im still trying to find something I can put my .382 bolt face american into before I rebarrel it. Cant really fit a med palma in the factory stock lol

I should just sell the thing and stop fretting over it.

Grip was the first thing I thought I would need before the Oryx arrived.
Grip is GTG for me.
Nice palm swell, feels great and there is a thumb shelf on the chassis.
I have an MDT vertical on another chassis and see no reason to change the Oryx's grip.
I think it will be an individual's preference deal ; I have a box full of grip candidates that failed selection on a variety of rifles.

Reactions: Pilotscrappy
Dang! I was all in for an ORYX for my new build but, the release date on the 700 LA has been pushed to a later date. Started my current build last November and barrel action will be ready in 2 weeks. Maybe next build.