• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Meat Processing Grinder

PBWalsh

Preston Walsh Fitness
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
Hi,

I am looking for a meat grinder. I cut up approximately 10 pounds of sirloin steak for my diet (The Vertical Diet by Stan Efferding). Basically, I’m getting tired of chopping it all up by hand into smaller cubes that can be thrown into a mash of rice and broth and easily weighed. Would be a lot easier if I could trim most of the hard and excess fat, cut it up into strips, and feed it through a grinder.

Budget is $150-$200

@benchmstr do you have any ideas? Know you’ve mentioned you do the same or similar diet.

I got my dad one of the mid sized cabelas ones and the first one lasted a few years before it started popping fuses and was out of warranty but I took it into the store and they swapped it for me and this second one has lasted a few years now too. I like it because, 1) its small and cheap and 2) its pretty darn quite which is nice compared to the others weve used.

1588179104543.png

Hi,

I am looking for a meat grinder. I cut up approximately 10 pounds of sirloin steak for my diet (The Vertical Diet by Stan Efferding). Basically, I’m getting tired of chopping it all up by hand into smaller cubes that can be thrown into a mash of rice and broth and easily weighed. Would be a lot easier if I could trim most of the hard and excess fat, cut it up into strips, and feed it through a grinder.

Budget is $150-$200

@benchmstr do you have any ideas? Know you’ve mentioned you do the same or similar diet.
I got a commercial meat grinder for $50 at a county auction...the local livestock meat processing class at a high school upgraded and i was the only bidder....so, i am less that helpful lol

lately its been cheaper for me to buy ground beef...HEB had ground sirloin for $2/lb the other day....got 40lbs

bench

I bought a big one from Northern Tools 15 years ago and have ground up 1k of pounds of meat without a problem other than smashing the plastic switch. Bought a metal one as a replacement. They have several different sizes depending on your needs.

There is a really hot asian chef named esther choi. She has a youtube channel called "eater" where she does equipment reviews.
She has a meat grinder <200 video you may find interesting.
They test it with brisket, which is right along with what you want to do.

Reactions: PBWalsh
I have had good luck with my Weston grinder but the one I have is bigger that what you are looking to spend. I believe mine is either the .75HP unit.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
I got a commercial meat grinder for $50 at a county auction...the local livestock meat processing class at a high school upgraded and i was the only bidder....so, i am less that helpful lol

lately its been cheaper for me to buy ground beef...HEB had ground sirloin for $2/lb the other day....got 40lbs

bench

Who/what is HEB. I’d much rather buy ground sirloin, but the cheapest ground 93/7 I can find is about $5/lb.

Last edited:
I use the STX International Megaforce 3000 (dumb fucking name I know) for my meat grinding.

Have used it to grind up brisket, Chuck steak and dry aged ribeye trimmings, among other things. Periodically I make big batches of hamburgers using the above combination, and it works pretty well.

It's less then $200, and works well for what I use it for. Can't say I have a lot of mileage on it yet, it's probably grinded less then 100 lbs of meat.

You totally set on buying? Only reason I ask is if your buying meat(not sure if you are or have bulk meat in freezer) then why not just go to a local butcher and have them cut how you want when you buy? Some chain stores have the capability and willingness to cut for you as well. Save yourself the hassle of setup and cleanup of a grinder.

If buying is the ultimate answer, I have a medium sized one from Cabelas that I use to process my deer at the house. Has worked good for me so far but I usually part of one deer a year.

@roostercogburn98

My main reason for buy the particular sirloin that I buy is based off the price per pound. After trimming away the excess fat, I’m around 3.50-4.00 a pound. I cannot find any similarly lean mean for the same price, and there is not a local butcher near me (which is odd because I’m fairly rural).

@kthomas Looking at a Megaforce now, noticed it while watching a video from Brian Shaw (4x WSM), and that guy puts down way more meat that I could. Its showing to be out of stock right now though.

I’m telling you $54 for that elite and it will grind all the sirloin you want. Spend the rest of the money on something fun like ammo

My personal experience would direct you to

Or

my LEM has countless pounds of deer, beef, pork and chicken through it. I added a foot peddle to free up my hands for sausage stuffing before I bought a dedicated sausage stuffed.

Something like this worked really good in the movie "Fargo"

CPRpremier375_0.jpg

Although it might be a little more than you need.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

• Haha
Reactions: LeftyJason
I'd seriously recommend you spend just a little more and get a LEM. They're friggin bullet proof, and will last years and years. Plus, they sell parts and accessories that stay relatively the same. A #5 will plow through some serious meat without having to chop t up so fine. Just plunk it down the auger tube (they have a progressive auger, so none of that leaning on a push tube to get the shit to feed through the plate), and let it work it's magic.

I've had attachments (Kitchen Aid POS) and lower end grinders (Warner, which makes most of the house brands with plastic covers)...they all suck, and when die plates wear, good luck finding replacements that fit after a few years. Grinders are a lot like precision rifles...you get what you pay for. Get a LEM, and thank me later.

I have a gander mountain built by Lem I'm sure, parts fit.

Been good for 3-4 years.

Looking at the Watson and LEM. Think I’m going to give LEM the shot depending of meat pricing when I go to the grocery store.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Just ordered the LEM. Should be here next week at some point.

My Sams had 93/7 at $3.74/lb in 46-50 pound bulk packs. While this is what I was looking for, sirloin has less calories, fat, more protein, and better taste. Further I figured a grinder would give me more versatility going forward.

I’ll process my normal steak when the LEM unit come in and report back.

Hi. Are you looking for a manual or electric grinder? We bought our Lem's manual grinder about 3 years ago and it still seems perfect. So I agree with MarinePMI, Ridgeback80, and others and proudly recommend this old-fashioned model to you

Get a LEM, avoid Cabela's crap. I had bought a grinder from Cabelas due to have discounted GC and a 10% off. I had to have them send me 2 replacements as each one had bad coating in the feed tube where there was missing coating and somehow rusted spots in the tube. 3 in a row with same issue. I then bought a LEM and it's been great.

If you look at them or try to swap parts you will see lem makes most of the store brands I think.

If you have a kitchen aid, look at the grinder attachments. I really like mine for 10-20 lb grinding jobs.

I use a harbor freight special. It was about $30 after the 20% coupon. I grind up about 10 deer and 10 hogs a year with it for the past 5 years without a single problem other than it being a little slow.

I will be using it tmrw to grind 70 lbs of deer and 35 pounds of pork fat for sausage.

I’ve had my LEM big bite #8 for a number of years now. I couldn’t be happier. We use it a lot .

I got a big Weston Pro #22 to use for anything I need. Sure it's WAY bigger than I really need right now, but it was on sale. It will run thru just about anything you feed it. My wife will not buy any ground meat at the local stores. It's big, it's heavy, it's a brute, it takes time to clean up....I can't complain about it in any way.

If you have a kitchen aid, look at the grinder attachments. I really like mine for 10-20 lb grinding jobs.

No offense, but I would seriously discourage recommending the KA attachment. I went down that route when I didn't know any better. What a POS.

Get a LEM Big Bite (any of this line), and you'll understand how a grinder is supposed to feel and work.

No offense, but I would seriously discourage recommending the KA attachment. I went down that route when I didn't know any better. What a POS.

Get a LEM Big Bite (any of this line), and you'll understand how a grinder is supposed to feel and work.

Fair enough. I have only used min 5-6 times grinding deer trimmings. what was wrong with it ? mine came with a KA I got for next to nothing at an auction so I don’t expect a lot from it. I usually throw the it in the fridge for a while to cool down so shit doesn’t stick to it.

we use a 3hp 220v commercial grinder for grinding HB when butchering steers or 4-500 lb batches of sausage. That thing does not mess around

Fair enough. I have only used min 5-6 times grinding deer trimmings. what was wrong with it ? mine came with a KA I got for next to nothing at an auction so I don’t expect a lot from it. I usually throw the it in the fridge for a while to cool down so shit doesn’t stick to it.

we use a 3hp 220v commercial grinder for grinding HB when butchering steers or 4-500 lb batches of sausage. That thing does not mess around
The KA attachment just isn't sturdy enough to handle anything large cut. The LEM Big Bites are more commercial grade, and are rated by pounds per minute that they'll grind.

The full sized commercial ones can be had through Chef's Toys and other, similar vendors.

Buy big.....1.5hp will/should chew thru anything you put down the chute.

I have had a Cabelas for 10 years. Just a small one. Put over 40 deer through it. Switched to a lem big bite. Oh so much better

The LEM Big Bite line, really are the standard to meet. Things just flat out grind stuff effortlessly....