• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Medical nitroglycerin shortage? Reloading related?

thejeep

Psychosomatic Long Covid+
Minuteman
  • Aug 30, 2008
    New York City
    I work in a hospital setting where we use a boatload of IV nitroglycerin to control blood pressure/ chest pain. As of a couple weeks ago it was announced that there was a nation wide shortage of the drug and to use it sparingly. Today I was thinking, is this IV nitro the same as the nitro that goes bang.
    A brief couple of minutes on wiki and it looks as if the medical nitroglycerin is the same stuff as that used in explosives and in turn an ingredient in gunpowder used for reloading.

1. So are the powder shortage and the medical nitro shortage related? Where the major players in both industries are scrounging for the same base chemical?

2. If so could the nitro shortage be related to world powers hoarding all the nitroglycerin for munitions (USA v. Russia)? I only say this due to the coincidental timing of hospital nitro shortage with the Crimea incident.

3. If not is another player buying all the nitroglycerin up to stymie the powder industry with no regards to the medical industry.

4. If none of these are true, then where is the nitroglycerin?

ASHP lists these reasons for the shortage, and apparently baxter international is the US's only supply of injectable nitro.

-American Regent has recently upgraded their manufacturing plant. Product will become available in stages as production resumes.
    -Hospira states the shortage is due to manufacturing delays.
    -Hospira discontinued nitroglycerin in Dextrose 5%, 40 mg/100 mL, 500 mL glass bottles (NDC 00409-1484-03) in 2010.2
    -Baxter has nitroglycerin premixes on shortage due to a raw material supply issue.

Current Drug Shortage Bulletin: Nitroglycerin Injection

I know there have been limited amounts of Nitro in the past, but nothing like what is currently going on. The FDA had a hand in it, partly because manufacturing and quality problems at aging factories have led to shutdowns of production lines and entire facilities recently.

Well, I'm sure there's a few here who could help ramp up production. Time to get the washbasins out, and start cuttin' wood.