• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mental Health/ Resetting

If you are a young man with a family and found the "perfect" place today....... Get in your truck and drive another 50 miles directly away from the largest city in the region. There will be your perfect homestead to raise a family, hunt, shoot and watch the clown shows.

This is the one and only regret we have with the property that we purchased...Houston being Houston continues to sprawl in all directions. We'll be alright until we get the girls out of school, after then I'm adding another 100 miles of distance between myself and Houston.

Always always always buy property further out.

The world is changing, rapidly. The OP started this thread on Nov 10, 2023... Been many changes over the past 3 months. For those thinking of relocating as a mental reset, plan well in advance for growth in the area of a new dwelling. I moved to my homestead because, at the time, it checked all the boxes of my needs. I now live in a "Boom Town" created by a pandemic, filming of "Yellowstone", low interest home loans, the "work from home movement", mega cities becoming shit holes, the Blue / Red phenomenon, the deterioration of schools, Home Owner's Associations, Liberal neighbors, environmental warriors, Medical Centers, cities absorbing rural areas and many other factors changing in the near future. If you are a young man with a family and found the "perfect" place today....... Get in your truck and drive another 50 miles directly away from the largest city in the region. There will be your perfect homestead to raise a family, hunt, shoot and watch the clown shows.View attachment 8375495
correct,esp in FL. saw it from 60-2000 where my parents were. almost semi rural in 60,mid metropolis in 2000. seen it everywhere i fished and hunted,snorkled as a kid or young man. now seeing it really pick up in my out of town county,esp last 5 yr.

Reactions: BScore and NFAJohn
correct,esp in FL. saw it from 60-2000 where my parents were. almost semi rural in 60,mid metropolis in 2000. seen it everywhere i fished and hunted,snorkled as a kid or young man. now seeing it really pick up in my out of town county,esp last 5 yr.
I'm 36, I've seen town explode in just my lifetime. Fields that we use to hunt are parking lots, houses are literally everywhere.

Our little place and pond is the reset, driving into the office is depressing as shit seeing hundreds of acres of prime farm/ waterfowl habitat plowed under. Were still 40 ish miles from the madness, but at the rate it's being developed I'm not sure how long that will hold out.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I'm 36, I've seen town explode in just my lifetime. Fields that we use to hunt are parking lots, houses are literally everywhere.

Our little place and pond is the reset, driving into the office is depressing as shit seeing hundreds of acres of prime farm/ waterfowl habitat plowed under. Were still 40 ish miles from the madness, but at the rate it's being developed I'm not sure how long that will hold out.
You should see what is happening in my home State of Florida. There are 1,200 people per day moving here. That is unsustainable. That's a factual number and not exaggerated. I could almost cry when I see where I grew up with horses and riding my ATV for hours in the woods with a shotgun on the back. It's a housing development and all of the woods are gone. I used to see Florida Panthers out there on occasion. I just retired and I'm packing up and moving to the middle of nowhere in Kentucky on 20 acres.

i am from FL life long and have been seeing this 75+ years. same,same which actually goes back to the 70s. as a kid used to hunt with father and his buds in the lecanto WMA in late 50s early 60s. tried to do same in mid/late 70s and where we camped was then a housing development. just 10 years in the distant past. nothing diff now just massive acceleration of same. don't get me started on the west coast beaches,tampa/st pete and the keys.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Grim's Reapers
Our son wants us to sell and move to Florida near his home. Land and home prices have skyrocketed so much since Hurricane Michael that anything even remotely pleasant is way expensive and anything else is still stupid expensive. Homes not as nice as our bike shop selling for 200K. Simple city homes selling for almost a half million, not nice homes mind you, one story 1500 sq ft, building on a 1/4 acre lot.

Looking at this, as I am writing, Brenda and I are going to have a very, very hard time selling.

IMG_3054.jpeg

Our son wants us to sell and move to Florida near his home. Land and home prices have skyrocketed so much since Hurricane Michael that anything even remotely pleasant is way expensive and anything else is still stupid expensive. Homes not as nice as our bike shop selling for 200K. Simple city homes selling for almost a half million, not nice homes mind you, one story 1500 sq ft, building on a 1/4 acre lot.

Looking at this, as I am writing, Brenda and I are going to have a very, very hard time selling.

View attachment 8375636
DONT DO IT!!

View attachment 8375636
Florida is dicked up.
If that is your view, stay put. As you have said, to get anything nice, it's a half a mil.
A plane ticket is cheap, comparatively.

You should see what is happening in my home State of Florida. There are 1,200 people per day moving here. That is unsustainable. That's a factual number and not exaggerated. I could almost cry when I see where I grew up with horses and riding my ATV for hours in the woods with a shotgun on the back. It's a housing development and all of the woods are gone. I used to see Florida Panthers out there on occasion. I just retired and I'm packing up and moving to the middle of nowhere in Kentucky on 20 acres.
1,200 per day is just the documented.....

Seeds were started about 10 days ago and have sprouted. Rented a tiller this past weekend and tilled the garden beds yesterday... Still a couple weeks out on our average last frost date so I can't really plant in the ground yet.

But growing my own food may be one of the most satisfying things I've ever done. It's absolutely bust-ass hard work but really worth it... When things go as planned.

Our oldest boy is a chef and lately he has taken to baking bread when he gets the chance... So he asked if we could try growing some wheat to make our own flour. So for his birthday we ordered some heirloom wheat seeds and we're going to try a small patch. If it works out, we'll save some for seed and plant more next year.

I enjoy gardening a lot. And after looking at what's going on around us... I figured it might not be a bad idea. I plan to mainly grow stuff that will store... But I'll always grow fresh seasonal stuff to eat as the season allows.

I still like pulling triggers... But the garden is where I like to reset.

Mike

The beautiful thing about kart racing, surfing and firearms.....I can enjoy them all with my kiddos. Son has a few more years to go before he's kid kart and track ready though.

Racing my kart(or those few seconds of riding waves too) is truly one of the few moments where my brain is completely shut off. I'm not thinking about anything else except feeling the sensations of the kart going through the corners and the grip of the tires. Occasionally, I'll make "race craft" mental notes to use during a race. But, 95% of the time, my brain is completely shut off and I'm just feeling the rubber :LOL:

196661_17635972576_992_n.jpg
10301545_10152952799717577_5108595503170198984_n.jpg
230044_10151352927787577_1897303597_n.jpg
IMG_2EFCA656D0AF-1.jpeg

Attachments

• 231120_10150241360392577_8269861_n.jpg
    231120_10150241360392577_8269861_n.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 5
Seeds were started about 10 days ago and have sprouted. Rented a tiller this past weekend and tilled the garden beds yesterday... Still a couple weeks out on our average last frost date so I can't really plant in the ground yet.

But growing my own food may be one of the most satisfying things I've ever done. It's absolutely bust-ass hard work but really worth it... When things go as planned.

Our oldest boy is a chef and lately he has taken to baking bread when he gets the chance... So he asked if we could try growing some wheat to make our own flour. So for his birthday we ordered some heirloom wheat seeds and we're going to try a small patch. If it works out, we'll save some for seed and plant more next year.

I enjoy gardening a lot. And after looking at what's going on around us... I figured it might not be a bad idea. I plan to mainly grow stuff that will store... But I'll always grow fresh seasonal stuff to eat as the season allows.

I still like pulling triggers... But the garden is where I like to reset.

Mike
Gardening is a good one, the wife went down the gardening and sourdough rabbit hole. Scraped off some dirt sod and built her a little garden a few weeks ago with the “help” of some kids recruited from church lol
IMG_4340.jpeg

Gardening is a good one, the wife went down the gardening and sourdough rabbit hole. Scraped off some dirt sod and built her a little garden a few weeks ago with the “help” of some kids recruited from church lol
View attachment 8376393
That's awesome.

You would think with me being nearly 50, I wouldn't get excited over seeing seeds sprout. I learned all the science of how it works in school... But it's still magic as far as I'm concerned.

Mike

That's awesome.

You would think with me being nearly 50, I wouldn't get excited over seeing seeds sprout. I learned all the science of how it works in school... But it's still magic as far as I'm concerned.

Mike
I totally get it, it's damn rewarding and doesn't hurt to know where you food is coming from. I was shocked how much quicker home grown goes bad compared to store bought. That led the wife to canning, a whole 'nother rabbit hole right there lol.

I totally get it, it's damn rewarding and doesn't hurt to know where you food is coming from. I was shocked how much quicker home grown goes bad compared to store bought. That led the wife to canning, a whole 'nother rabbit hole right there lol.
I mentioned canning to the wife. She stated she would like to can her own salsa and spaghetti sauce... But canning everything else just didn't interest her. So I decided to concentrate on things that will dry store... Beans, corn, winter squashes, peppers, and root crops.

Mike

Gardening and canning. When we had our farm at Downsville, we did both with moderate success. However, at Caney Lake, the only garden that will bear fruit is this

IMG_0442.jpeg

We had some nice circular garden plots growing. By the time the deer got finished with them, all’s they left us were the stalks. (Even to the point of eating Okra stems) So, the only thing we were able to harvest was the deer.

Gardening and canning. When we had our farm at Downsville, we did both with moderate success. However, at Caney Lake, the only garden that will bear fruit is this

View attachment 8377448

We had some nice circular garden plots growing. By the time the deer got finished with them, all’s they left us were the stalks. (Even to the point of eating Okra stems) So, the only thing we were able to harvest was the deer.
I mean that deer is gonna eat better than any tomato I've encountered lol