• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing mercury

hambsteel

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2014
guys I know this has been asked 1000's of times. I need to add a little weight to balance my new project out and was wondering if the mercury gizmos really helped or not. If you have used one please reply. no my buddy stories, just first hand accounts please. if you did put one in a gun, would you do it again? thanks!

Put one in a 22-250 once. Wanted to stop the hop off target to see prairie dog hit. Didn't seem to help at all. Didn't hurt my groups. Cost of it compared to say lead shot and epoxy. Next time will be lead shot and epoxy.

They work, use great stuff spray insulation to install instead of epoxy. I have one in a 330 Dakota, groups have improved due to less felt recoil. I also have one in a .458 Lott and you damn sure wouldn't want to shoot it without the reducer. Once was enough without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The threshold of pain is ~ 20 psi on skin.
Some ways to keep recoil from reaching that level:
1) Lighter and slower projectile and gas
2) Heavier rifle
3) larger contact area on shoulder
4) compliant contact with shoulder to give uniform pressure over shoulder shape
5) spread the impact over time:
..a) recoil pad compresses
..b) parabolic taper hydraulic shock absorber
..c) separate recoiling mass delay line
.......1) semi auto mechanism bolt and carrier
.......2) Mercury starts in forward position and moves back in recoil.

Last edited: