• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing metal work on an original gun?

jasonstewart

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2008
albany georgia
im having some dificulty in finding a gunsmith to do some work that i would like to have done. i have a factory vssf remmy .308. it has a grand total of twenty rounds down the pipe. i want to get the action timed, trued, blueprinted, etc.. , a muzzle break installed, tactical knob installed, and the mount hole opened to 8-40. ive called a few shops, and they dont want to mess with the action unless they do a barrel job also. i aint worried aboutthe flutes or factory barrel stamps being in proper location. i just want everything squared up and trued. i know this might not help me shoot any better, but if i have the work done, i damn sure wont have any excuse other than me if i shoot bad. the gun is practically brand new. barely broken in even. i cant justify wasteing a good barrel for no reason other than a flute or groove not nbeing at 12:00. i would appreciate any advice offered. all i want is the gun to be able to perform at its maximum mechanical ability. regards, jason

Re: metal work on an original gun?

Their are several smiths here that I'm sure would do that work for you , I can't say that I'd doo all that and keep the factory tube though some of them do shoot very well.
After you have all this done all thats needed later is to have the smith fit a new barrel.

Re: metal work on an original gun?

three shot groups measure 1.12 at 200yds
does fine up close
im lucky if i get 1.5 moa at 400
but of course i havent shot it that much
literally, 20 rounds, 5 to site in at 100 and five three shot groups from 100 to 450yds