• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up MI Upcoming Shoots

Re: MI Upcoming Shoots

Why so secret? I can tell you now that if the fees are over 100 dollars for a membership you will be hard pressed to get any members. Most of the shooters I run into are so cheap it blows my mind.

Rich

One more question are you going to set it up like Youngs Longshot with target every 50 yards out to 1000?

Thanks

Rich

Where and when seem to be the most prevalent questions.
tired.gif

Midmichigan sounds great to me. Just picked up a TRG42 that could use some ground to stretch its legs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why so secret? I can tell you now that if the fees are over 100 dollars for a membership you will be hard pressed to get any members. Most of the shooters I run into are so cheap it blows my mind.

Rich </div></div>

No kidding, but it would keep out some riff raft.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cw8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry guys, I can honestly say that the 1000 Yards of will not be in Okemos. We actually priced a parcel which would house the range close to Okemos, but I am afraid the membership fees would be ridiculous.
</div></div>

It appears from this post that they don't have any land to build a range yet. So they can't tell us where it will be until they know. Anyone else doubtful about this ranges future?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midmichigan sounds great to me. Just picked up a TRG42 that could use some ground to stretch its legs. </div></div>

I here you on that. I have a brand new unfired 6.5x55 build that would be disappointed to be limited to 600 yards(my current longest available range)

Chances are this will never happen because the cost would be to high All the steel to furnish it plus the cost with a building??. Youngs told me they had 30K in just fixing up the land and they had all the steel donated. This didnt include the building. Thats why they charge 300 a year and still could only get around 100 members. Youngs was also old farm land that they owned forever.

Good thing I have a 1200 private range available to me and a few others.

Personally I hope this happens because it would be an asset to the shooting community but as far as a money maker I dont think this will happen. The percentage of people that shoot long range is very low not enough to sustain a private range. I do know that the guy who owns Dans Excavating has his own range but that guy wipes his ass with hundreds and flushes then down the toilet. I belive his range is somewhere in Midland.

Rich

This is why I scout every year when I am up north in the national forest trying to find areas that I can safely stretch out my rifle. Yes I am one of those cheap asses, mainly because I am usually a broke ass as well.

Use google earth first when you stake out the land. Looks for the powerlines and then go scout them. I know of several places in the Manistee National forest that you can shoot a long long ways into the side of a hill.

To anyone going to Young's in the future, I would love the opportunity to be a shadow for a day. If you guys go in the spring here, please let me know. This would only be a 1 time thing.....I just wouldn't want to be a nuisance. Thanks in advance.

So freezing rain and 20-30 mph winds...got the day off tomorrow sounds like a great day to go shooting! Hopefully be out at south kent tomorrow by 9 or 10 am give the new Sako TRG42 a run in some nasty weather.

What ever happened to the guy talking about the 1000 yard range in Michigan that would be open to the public?

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What ever happened to the guy talking about the 1000 yard range in Michigan that would be open to the public?

Rich </div></div>

He's got a facebook page and that's it. Won't hold your breath it ever becomes a reality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So freezing rain and 20-30 mph winds...got the day off tomorrow sounds like a great day to go shooting! Hopefully be out at south kent tomorrow by 9 or 10 am give the new Sako TRG42 a run in some nasty weather. </div></div>

NY700, how are you liking south kent? I've been looking at joining in the next month or so. Since Michigan basically sucks the hind titty in long distance ranges that is pretty much the only range available. The ones over here in the detroit area only use their 600yders for special events. Coming from Detroit is it worth it? Facilities and such?

Flyingbullseye

I've been following MTC and their newsletter and I think things look promising at this point. More information has been released in last months newsletter than any of the previous letters. If all goes well, I will be at this range at least once a month. I hope the rest of you Michiganer's will join me.

Been following them too. I was kind of hoping they would have a central location in the state. As it stands Youngs would be closer for me as is South Kent. Going to pass on this one.

Flyingbullseye

Hey I am wondering if any of you guys can help me out here. I am looking for a new stock for my 5r. I am wondering if any of you guys here around MI have a Manners T5, MCS T, or T2 that I could fondle so I don't have to buy, wait, then sell it if I don't like, then start the whole process over again.

I've had a manners and I now have a XLR chassis. Both are very good fit and finish. If you are looking to do only targeting (prone) shooting, go with the XLR. I had a Manner's last hunting season and it was nice and light to carry around.

However, if you want the adjustability, XLR all the way. Let me know if you want to take a look at my XLR set up. Worth the money I spent. If you have questions about it, XLR is on here as well. Look him up and he would be more than happy to help out with any questions you might have. Good luck.

Trim, I would be for target and for hunting. I have looked at the XLR stocks and it I were to go that route I would just go after a tube gun. Really like the Manners for the $, and they seem to always have stuff ready to ship. I have a guy that I am going to go and try out the AICS to see how that feels as another option.

Anyone want to meet up near the 45th parallel?

I might be game for that. Got any particular dates in mind? I'd be heading up from a few hours south but have reason to be near grayling when I can be anyway...

Hi, new to the sight. I live in Williamston. Always looking for new shooting buddies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, new to the sight. I live in Williamston. Always looking for new shooting buddies. </div></div>

Drife, welcome to SH. Good to have you here.

Any Winter matches or shoots coming up? Also, Marksmanship Training Facility announced they will be opening in May in Lake City with 1000 yards as well.

May 19th is the Marksmanship training center opening and they are going to be hosting a free tactical competition. They will have announced a unknown distance 1k yard range and a traditional 1k yard range. As well as a 25 yard pistol range. I am pumped!!!

175 miles for me, I think im out thats a little far for me. Congradulations though for MTC as they did what they said.

Rich

I think I am going to get a membership there. Price is about the same for another range near my house. MTC will only be about a 2 hour drive for me. Nothing like making a day of shooting. Something else for me to do.

Here is the email I just got from the folks at MTC. They may open this up to the public w/out a membership.

"We may be opening up the Tac Comp to the public for a fee. MTC members will still have free enrolment. All the details will be published this Saturday."

MTC

Hello to all. Brand new noobie here. I will joining MTC, as it is only about 45 miles from my house. If anyone needs a partner for the 1st match, I would love the learning experience.

Another potential member here. I have questions though;

1. They claim members can only use the 1000 yard KD range once a month. Anyone know what day of the week? Also, is it from dawn to dusk, or will there be a time limit?

2. Do I assume the 1000 yard UKD range is available to members on a more regular basis? If so, how available? I'm driving 4 hours one way. This would be a weekend only event for me.

3. Anyone have a feel for how busy these ranges will be? The website says that training, competitions, and "agency" reservations take priority.

4. Anyone know if renewing the membership is a rolling 12 months, or every January?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dt66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello to all. Brand new noobie here. I will joining MTC, as it is only about 45 miles from my house. If anyone needs a partner for the 1st match, I would love the learning experience. </div></div>

I have never shot one before, I may already have a partner but if not I will keep you in mind. Also, I am in Mt. Pleasant, so if you want to shoot sometime let me know.

Justin

While I am intrigued by MTC, I also have some serious reservations:

Currently, it doesn't exist

They are offering memberships to a facility, at full price, sight unseen.

They're description is really only a vague representation of a vision.

They are vague and unclear what you "get" with your membership.

How many targets will there be, at what eanges, and how big will they be?

What shooting positions will be available? Benches? Prone? Berm? Obstacles? Loopholes? Barricades? Burned out cars?

What kind of "training" do the ROs provide?

When can I come? If events take priority, how many/how often will that be?

I'm hoping the place will be awesome, but at this point, the place doesn't exist, and all we CAN do is hope. I'm quite surprised they expect us to pay a non-discounted membership price based on all of the above. We're basically investors at this point with no "profit" available to us for investing. They could easily take the investors' money and split....probably not the case, of course, but no guarantees at this point.

I'll be waiting to see how this place shapes up before spending money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I am intrigued by MTC, I also have some serious reservations:

Currently, it doesn't exist

They are offering memberships to a facility, at full price, sight unseen.

They're description is really only a vague representation of a vision.

They are vague and unclear what you "get" with your membership.

How many targets will there be, at what eanges, and how big will they be?

What shooting positions will be available? Benches? Prone? Berm? Obstacles? Loopholes? Barricades? Burned out cars?

What kind of "training" do the ROs provide?

When can I come? If events take priority, how many/how often will that be?

I'm hoping the place will be awesome, but at this point, the place doesn't exist, and all we CAN do is hope. I'm quite surprised they expect us to pay a non-discounted membership price based on all of the above. We're basically investors at this point with no "profit" available to us for investing. They could easily take the investors' money and split....probably not the case, of course, but no guarantees at this point.

I'll be waiting to see how this place shapes up before spending money. </div></div>

I definitely agree with you on this. It would be nice if they would have an open range day for everyone to come see the thing and what they have before we committed a pretty substantial amount of money for a membership. If for some reason they had to postpone opening or cancelled this whole thing that membership fee would be gone. Perhaps someone should email them with these questions as they are very warranted.

Justin

Received some answers to my questions via e-mail today;

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1: Day of Week - the KD range usage for members will be most likely the first Saturday (morning) of each month. Depending on interest and scheduling we may open it more frequently for teams to use.

2: Time limit – To start we are going to open the KD range from 9am to noon with one hour blocks. Similar to golfing, members may RSVP a time slot so they don’t have to waste time waiting – but if there is an open spot you can jump in at any time. Our goal is to offer free target pulling service during this time so clients can focus on shooting. Again, depending on interest and scheduling we may extend the time if needed.

3: UKD time - Lucky for you (unlucky for us) This is a brand new start up project with most of the partners still operational overseas. So man power is limited – meaning that we will attempt to run competitions this year, but we will be quite busy with the hands on labor of improving the ranges we have now and construction of the class room & admin building. So the UKD Range is going to be open almost non-stop the first year. With our unique target placement system – it’s like a new range with every visit so the more you visit the better gun data you will collect.

4: Membership fees – Your membership renewal will take place the same month next year, not prorated. As we improve and are able to offer more resources and services our memberships prices will go up – but your uninterrupted renewal will never increase (locks in the 1st years price). So if you join this year (with no break in membership) you will continue with the 2012 prices of $250 even though the new member price may increase year to year.

5: Shooter & Spotter plan – The shooter & spotter plan is basically 2 designated memberships for a discounted price. This is our way of encouraging the practical use of a spotter for long range shooting. You may come alone or as a team.

Hope this helps,
Marksmanship Training Center </div></div>