• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up MI Upcoming Shoots

Re: MI Upcoming Shoots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> definitely agree with you on this. It would be nice if they would have an open range day for everyone to come see the thing and what they have before we committed a pretty substantial amount of money for a membership. If for some reason they had to postpone opening or cancelled this whole thing that membership fee would be gone. Perhaps someone should email them with these questions as they are very warranted.

Justin </div></div>

According to MTC (per my below e-mail), we can all come on May 19th and see the place. No membership required

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We understand your hesitation, it is a long commute. You are welcome to come up for opening day and take a look around and watch the tactical long range shoot that day.

Of course we encourage the memberships of dedicated and disciplined shooters to help us grow and improve, but being the first year back in CONUS we have a lot of work to do. The long gun ranges will be operational this spring, but may take a year or two to get where we want to be.

Being such a long drive you may want to participate in the competitions only, or to reduce membership cost you could join with a friend under the Shooter & Spotter plan and car pool to the range. (Best to bring a spotter anyways.)

Feel free to contact us with any questions.
Marksmanship Training Center</div></div>

Turbo,
the actual piece of property for MTC does exist. I have been on the firing line (elevated berm) and out by the impact berms. it looks like they could shoot steel right now.

Yes, there is still more work to be done.

You are asking legitimate questions and I believe they will be answered.

bob L

I may have to make the trip on the 19th looking like this is the closest place for me to shoot anything over 200 yards.

A bit off topic, but oh well. In short, hello. I am moving to Michigan, the greater Detroit area, around May of this year. Can any of you give me a trusted FFL in the Detroit Metro area? I don't mind driving an hour outside of the area either if that's what it takes to find someone trustworthy. I already have stuff on order that will be shipped into Michigan once it is ready.

Thanks! Looking forward to finding some shooting partners too.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bit off topic, but oh well. In short, hello. I am moving to Michigan, the greater Detroit area, around May of this year. Can any of you give me a trusted FFL in the Detroit Metro area? I don't mind driving an hour outside of the area either if that's what it takes to find someone trustworthy. I already have stuff on order that will be shipped into Michigan once it is ready.

Thanks! Looking forward to finding some shooting partners too.

Chris </div></div>

Where about the Detroit area you moving? There area a few of us here.

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Where about the Detroit area you moving? There area a few of us here.

Flyingbullseye</div></div>

I'll be working in Livonia, my wife in Van Buren Township. Not sure where we are going to live yet, hopefully somewhere within 30 minutes of both places. Driving up on Monday to try and find a place!

Well, here's the skinny. Livonia is AS EAST as you wanna live. Also avoid living in Ypsilanti. Homes are cheap in those area for a reason. They're undesirable. Poor schools and higher crime. Novi, Plymouth, Northville are all "well to do", better areas with a good commute to Livonia/Van Buren.

Ideally, anything WEST of I275, with the exception of Ypsi is pretty good.

You can smell the hippy body odor anywhere in Ann Arbor.

We have a great gunclub just outside Ann Arbor, to the East with a 600 yard range, with pit service (we take turns in the pits). It is open every Wednesday afternoon/evening until 8, through November.

washtenaw sportsman's club

Washtenaw Sportmans Club. I would be interested in going to this club mid summer as a guest. If you care to, please reply to my PM.

Hey guys, kinda new here and I wouldn't mind meeting up with some hide members to show me the ropes a bit. I've been shooting since I was young, and competitively for about a year now, however, long range precision is new. I recently picked up a .338 LM (I tried one out first and decided to take the plunge) and I'll be at SKSC building up a load sometime late this week or next week. If someone will be there or wants to come, there may be a growler of founders or a half case of good beer headed your way!

who is going to the mtc opening this weekend? cant wait to hear the range report

rich

We plan on it. This weekend is ASC, though. Next weekend is MTC.

I will probably show up to watch. I want to see a tac match before I shoot in one. On Sunday I am going to shoot the Fclass match in Cadillac though.

Justin, take your rifle and pistol with you to MTC, They know this match will be new to a lot of shooters and they know some shooters may not have good zeros. So they expect to help you guys. I am sure it will be a pretty simple match.

You are going to shoot our match at Cadillac on Sunday, you are welcome to bring a cot and camp out Friday and Saturday night in our Club house. Or bring up a camper/tent and camp on our club grounds. MTC is about 35 to 40 minutes away from Cadillac. Win/Win for both clubs
Bob L

Rich,
Thought for sure you would be up to MTC this weekend and give a after action range report!

Hope to see you "up north" sometime Rich.

Bob L

Well, MTC has a pretty nice layout:

They had 15 silhouette-style targets (24" tall x 18" wide) from ~225 yards to ~1025. They had 8" flappers that cause a red flag to pop up over the targets' shoulder when hit.

I understand the targets are on quick-change bases, so the targets can easily be rearranged, so the UKD range will change on a regular basis. Nicely done.

The firing line is a tall berm with enough real estate for at least 15 shooters to comfortably set up. The "soil" in this region is all sand, but they've got astro-turf laid out, which is nice.

Apparently, this place is generally rather wind during the day. Today there were ~4-8mph winds with gusts to maybe 12mph, usually at least 1/2 value. They were very switchy though!

Also, there was heavy mirage! It was about 80F and sunny, but wow - lots of mirage! Made milling and target acquisition tough for several of us.

The folks running the place, Clare, Adam and Greg, were very easy going, and have a great attitude! They love this stuff like we do and were as excited (probably more) than us shooter.

Overall, MTC seems like a great place to shoot and train. Looking foward to going back!

Sounds like you had fun Turbo! I can't wait to get out there. I decided to shoot at the F-class match in Cadillac instead, but next next I am heading to MTC. BTW, would a single shot work in the type of match you did?

The course of fire included milling 5 or 6 targets, then we had 15 seconds to hit a given target 2 times, then we had 30 (???) Seconds to engage 3 targets with one shot each...

So - how fast can you single load??

The time pressure wasn't intense - I think I woulda been OK single loading, but a repeater is much preferred!

I can hand load very fast. I have some repeaters but my best LR rifle is a single shot. I could slap the barrel on one of my repeaters or just sac up and use my 308 with its 10 round mag.

Well, the folks' running MTC have the mentality of "train like you fight, fight like train".

Seriously!

To give you an idea:

After the match was over, Greg was giving my partner and I some pistol training on the pistol range. I emptied a magazine, dropped the mag out, then inspected my chamber, closed the slide, re-inspected the chamber, pointed the pistol downrange, dry-fired to decock (Glock), and holstered it.

I was corrected!

"Never miss an opportunity to train", Greg said.

I *should have* performed a tactical reload, and only then holstered the pistol, so the pistol was ready to use immediately out of the holster next time.

Very cool, and VERY different from your typical "gunrange".

I think this is a good example of the attitude/mentality at MTC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Never miss an opportunity to train", Greg said. I *should have* performed a tactical reload, and only then holstered the pistol, so the pistol was ready to use immediately out of the holster next time.</div></div>Except that then your pistol would not have been empty, which was the point of the exercise.

I don't get it:

You reinforced a method you were taught regarding how to unload, show clear, and holster an empty pistol. That's a useful skill, too. What was he trying to teach you? And what did you learn from his correction? Did you not know how to do a tactical reload? Did he demonstrate how to do one? Loading is not 'training'. Surely you are capable of determining for yourself when you want a loaded pistol and when you want an unloaded one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I think this is a good example of the attitude/mentality at MTC. </div></div>I hope not. Instruction that subverts the point of the excerise and one-ups the student (especially without imparting a new skill set) serves little purpose.

[BTW, Greg was very friendly and seemed like a nice guy. I'm hoping that this single event was posted out of context and that there was more to the training drill than was described.]

Well i had a great time up there saturday. Good group of guys, great learning experience shooting through some heavy mirage, and i found out what happens when your muzzle velocity isn't quite where it needs to be. Turns out my 155gr load didn't quite have the steam to make it stable out to the 1025yd target
frown.gif

In case anyone has missed it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mustafa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you live in or near <span style="color: #FF0000">Michigan</span> and have been looking to get some quality training from Rifles Only, but you don't want to have to go all the way to Kingsville, here is some great news!

Rifles Only will have a team of instructors going to Michigan to teach a precision rifle course. This class will be a 3 day rifle course.
Course Vitals
Duration:3 Days
Course Fee:$600.00
Round Count:300
Open to:Civilian, Military & Law Enforcement
Types:Rifle
Level:Basic

Training Topics
Safety
Fundamentals of Marksmanship
Recoil Management
Positional Shooting
Trajectory and Wind Compensation
Use and diference between cover and concealment
Care of the precision rifle and optics
Use of the mil-radian system for range estimation
Gear selection
Weak side Shooting
Target detection
shot placement
internal, external, and terminal ballistics
Data gathering and usage
malfunction drills
precision shot placement under high stress
effects of temperature and BP
Distances out to 500 yards

Equipment List
Ammo
Sunscreen.308 rifle or other suitable caliber capable of 1 MOA
Easily adjustable scopeBipod
Sling ( not a carrying strap)Rear Bag
Cleaning gear for RiflePen and or Pencil
Notebook or Data bookCalculator
Eye and Ear protection

Check it out! http://www.riflesonly.com/course-details/20120819/Michigan_Precision_Rifle_Course.html </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone near the Lansing area with a XLR chasis I can feel up? </div></div>

Im running an XLR im just south of dearborn. Pm me if your interested in meeting up