• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mig/Flux welder for DIY projects?

roggom

Senior Chief
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2011
Northern Colorado
Just wanted to pick some of your brains about a future purchase. I have kind of decided between two Flux/Mig systems and wondering if you guys have some real world experience with either.

First off, I live about 3/4 miles from Home Depot, they have 10% military discount and a no BS return policy. So this is the reason for getting them there.

I have no formal welding training and started with a cheapo 40-100A stick welder that I picked up at a pawn. I successfully built some target stands a couple of years ago, but looking for a decent Flux/Mig to tackle some projects for my Jeep XJ. The other thing is I want it to be 120volt.

I want to weld mild steel to build some better target stands, basket rack, some exhaust work, lightbar and then eventually this bumper

JcrOffroad, Inc. XJ Cherokee DIY Rear Bumper

http://jcroffroad.com/install_guides/XJDIYRearAssemblyInstructions.pdf

I have narrowed down to the:

Campbell Hausfeld WG3090 140 Amp Mig/Flux

Campbell Hausfeld 120 Volt 140 Amp MIG/Flux-WG3090 at The Home Depot

and the Lincoln K2514-1 140 A Mig/Flux

Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 140 HD Wire-Feed Welder-K2514-1 at The Home Depot

The CH is about $100 cheaper, then the Lincoln, but comes with a 5 Year warranty, vs the Lincoln 3. I plan to get the Home Depot extended warranty so I can just take it back there. Although I want better quality so I dont have to take it back. Is the Lincoln $100 more machine, or will I just be buying $100 worth of accessories?

I plan to start with Flux, unless I should just start with Mig (less slag etc)

FWIW, Lincoln Welders are generally top shelf. I do wonder why you would go with 120V, though. It will limit you later in what you can do with it. I know 220V needs special plugs, but one can be easily installed in generally any house or garage, and then you can weld much thicker materials. Just my $.005.....

Also, if you have access to a welding gas supplier, mig welders are easier to get good results with---less chipping and cleaning for multi-pass welds. Some migs can be used with flux-core wire without the gas....

Last edited:
That Lincoln will be fine for what you are wanting to do. You will want to buy a argon bottle tho it will make welding exhaust and smaller jobs much easier the description says it comes with both guns so it's g2g. Just watch the duty cycle on small welder like that.

Get a 220v rig - I ended up with a Hobart 210 MVP - runs on 110 or 220. Something you can grow into - add the 220 later as you need it.
Like you, I didn't have any formal experience but found good guys that weld for a living and they helped get
me pointed in the right direction. Now I fixing a lot of steel lawn furniture and other fixtures for friends and family and I
am having a blast. Plus I finished up my first project a bad-ass welding table 3/8" top that is 4' X 27" and 32" high.
Like anything else it is practice practice to get good/better at it.

I can't tell you how much fun it is to start with a pile of steel and end up with something nice:

9276545155_9764df7b8e.jpg

9590028939_5f423fe7a7.jpg

Thanks guys for the input, Sounds like 220 is where it is at. My breaker box is right outside of my garage so an outlet install should be cake for the electrician.

Kosmos, nice worktable. Yeah, I will try a lot of smaller projects to get my technique down, might even take a class. To me it is fun to get out and turn scrap into useful items.

I started with an el cheapo 100 amp flux core welder years ago. It had a 10% duty cycle If I recall. I still have some projects sitting around that I did with it and they held up fine.

You won't regret the decision to go with a 220v unit. Initial cost will be quite a bit higher, but will pay dividends in the future. Just make damn sure when you finish welding for the day to make sure the gas bottle is turned off or it could leak down over time. Ask me how I know.

Mig welding is pretty easy to learn yourself through trial and error but try to get with an experienced welder to give you some guidance. Material type, thickness, hardness, carbon content and such will dictate will wire type, speed and amperage. Good luck and welcome to the world of making something out of nothing.

Regards

Matt

Oh yeah, make sure not to weld wearing a tank top. Sunburned armpits are NO fun. Again, ask me how I know lol.

FWIW you would only want to run pure argon if you were going to weld aluminum and then you would also want to get a Teflon liner.

For a shielding gas welding steel CO2, CO2/argon or tri mix gases are what you would use.

I have a 110 and a 220 in the garage. I started with the 110 and the flux core wire was killing me. It came with the gas set up and I converted. It will do pretty good, but you are limited on thickness, unless you get good a using multi-pass welding. I bought the 220, and use it the most. I still fall back on the 110 sometimes just the convenience of a 110 accessibility. You can not go wrong with lincoln electric welding products. I had a miller one time and was not happy with it all, poor feeding and the wire was constantly balling up in a huge tangle.

Check around though. I know Lowes was selling the 220 one with the gas conversion and flux core set-up.

you get what you pay for when it comes to welders. get the BEST you can afford.

to me a miller 250A mig welder the least I'd suggest to anyone. buy once , cry once and all that.

Miller or Lincoln would be my only choices. I am a pipefitter and welder by trade. A 110 welder will do it but a 220v is always better and your electric bill won't suffer as bad either. Like everyone said buy once cry once. You will wan a machine that uses a shielding gas. It will weld smoother and will be able to do thinner materials better with less heat and less chance of warping.

Thanks everyone, I ended up picking up a Lincoln 175 WeldPak HD I got a regulator and hose from HTP and a 80 CF bottle of C25 locally. I built this light work table in my garage with flux core (before I got the gas), then been playing with MIG. Man it is so much nicer with the gas.

I wired the 220 one weekend, I did not derate it, I ran 6 gage Romex to the 6-50 outlet, 50A breaker.

The table is 52" x 22" 1/4", the frame was built with some U channel I found at the scrap yard, it already has holes and is very sturdy. (they were only $5 for 6 foot sections).

I made hinges with some 1 1/4 square tubing, and some Autozone brake caliper bushings.

I am really having fun with the small projects, sure I have burned through some edges, but already fab's up a lightbar and retrofit a rack for my Jeep.

The Lincoln feeds and welds flawlessly, never stops or stutters. Only time I messed up was mig welding with the gas off. Was wondering why my beads looked like crap and splatter everywhere.

Last edited:
Here are the hinges, and I use 1/2 rebar for the braces. The force is applied to two grade 8 bolts, with two braces I was able to stand on the table (200 lbs) I can add two more for total of four. I dont plan on putting a car engine on it. I have another workbench on the other side for heavy beating and things like that.

I still have a 250 amp Lincoln stick as well as a 100amp 120vac mig/flux (I have the bottle and kit). I want the Lincoln 140amp 120Vac as I can get a higher duty cycle and still only need 120Vac. If I was doing production it would be different, but for my own junk the 120's are hard to beat. Throw it on the truck and go, 120 is everywhere. Yes you can take different 240Vac plugs with you but, changing all the time sucks. My 100 will do 1/4" single pass and it will pass a cert test, but the duty cycle sucks. If I have to do thick stuff a 7014 or better does the job just fine in the 250. Usage is 25-1 in-favor of the 100amp

Only time I have ever hit the duty cycle on mine was welding continuious beads. 30% duty cycle is plenty for a lot of small jobs.

Well, guess someone musta liked my welder more than me, as someone stole it from my garage last night. Mother Fucker............................
Brand new bottle of c25 AAAARHHGHGG!!!
Yes I am venting.............

that blows...... Sorry to hear about that. File a police report....you never know.

And what is wrong with a persons soul that makes it seem like going into someones garage to take things is acceptable at any level? Like the guys that steal drop hitches off trucks at the hardware store.

Thanks, yeah I did file a report and left my cards at the local pawn shops. Thing that sucks the most is they stole around $6k in medical test equipment I use for work. My manager is gonna shit. I do have insurance though so all will be ok, but damn. If I had only put that fucking 25 cent zip tie on the garage door release.

Sorry to hear that . Nothing worse than a thief . Been there. A little advice - you are better off to periodically walk into the pawn shops and look , don't tell them you are looking for your property that was stolen, if they have it - it will disappear. Ask me how I know . Not saying all pawn shops are crooked , but there are a few who are. I hope you find your stuff but better yet I hope you find the theif in a dark alley.

Dirty rotten mothers!!! I keep after my wife to keep the garage door closed other than to drive in and out. You just never know what kind of scum is going to be driving by trolling for tools. Feel bad for you. Really do.

Well, guess someone musta liked my welder more than me, as someone stole it from my garage last night. Mother Fucker............................
Brand new bottle of c25 AAAARHHGHGG!!!
Yes I am venting.............