• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MIL and MOA Range Equations Explained & Derived

Re: MIL and MOA Range Equations Explained & Derived

Lindy, the owner of the scope previously checked the knobs and found them to be true MOA. He's a very competant shooter, so I'm sure he's right.

Recently Revised. runner

Does anyone have this information so it could fit on a couple of index cards? Major equations and explanations? PM me if you'd like

"Shooter's MOA" is a misnomer. It's an angle which works out to 1" per hundred yards, while an MOA is 1.047 inches at 100 yards.

So the question is, of all the MOA reticules USO has available, are any of them true 1.047" @ 100 yards MOA?

The CMGMOA is definately true MOA, but there are one or two more as well.

Edit: The PCMOA, the MDMOA and the MOA Type I are IPHY.
As always, the most important thing is to make sure your turrets and reticle are calibrated the same.

My JNGMOA is true MOA.
My MDMOA is not, it is IPHY.

The MDMOA is an SN-3, and the adjustments are also IPHY.

I did not even test the adjustements on the JNGMOA, have no intention to adjust for shots. It's on an AR-15 and my goal for it was to zero and use holds for any adjustments needed.
I must admit, I wish it was IPHY as well. I prefer IPHY.

Re: MIL and MOA Range Equations Explained & Derive

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwo6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what does IPHY stand for? </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">I</span>nch
<span style="font-weight: bold">P</span>er
<span style="font-weight: bold">H</span>undred
<span style="font-weight: bold">Y</span>ards

Great Runner--perfect stuff!...since that's the only link around that describes the derivation of the algebra that i've ever seen. A while back i was reticle-ranging a buck antelope with Burris' Ballistic Plex reticle when i came upon an epiphany. All thos multipliers u guys r using r just ever so slightly off. To get the most accuracy possible u should be subtracting 1 (line) stadia's subtension itself from the equation to get the most accuracy possible, because people tend to bracket BETWEEN stadia not from the center of each stadia.

Another theory of mine that i can't prove but i think has viability is that to get the most accurate subtension between any given stadia, u should "mil" 10-20 targets of exact known dimension and range, then reverse mil to calculate reticle subtension. Then avg. all your subtension calcs. to calcualte reticle subtension to an accuracy level possibly greater than .1 of whatever unit of subtension u're using. Just a theory. Any comments?

That Horus Vision H-25 link is great but the reticle-ranging would've been even more accurate had they used the finer stadia that r used for downrange zeroing instead of the IPHY or MOA stadia--whatever they're using...oh yeah, it's IOA or IPHY. IMO the rangefinding scale just adds clutter, and totally unnecessary.

In actuality the derived mil-ranging formula in it's most basic form defines not only rangefinding with all reticles (any 2+ points actually), but also downrange zeroing with whatever unit u're using (IPHY, MOA, marshmallows, whatever).

I agree, regarding TMOA and SMOA, if you intend on adjusting your knobs based on your reticle scale readings…you need to measure both your reticle and knob calibrations to conform with are equal, don’t take someone’s word for it……when you’re out in the field, it’s just you, and your rifle…. you need to have 100% confidence in it. I have a number of USO scopes (big fan BTW, I don’t think there’s a more durable, reliable, functional tactical scope out there…they’re on all my serious use rifles), that said, 2 of the SN-3s in my safe have what appears to be the MOA Type 1 reticle, the scale on one of them is clearly TMOA, and the other, clearly SMOA. The same goes with USO MOA Spotters…… some are calibrated to TMOA, and some are SMOA. Just be aware when picking out your equipment.

I personally like the “MOA” system, it has many advantages in my opinion, however, use it with caution…..the industry has not kept it consistent….. worse yet, in many cases, they fail to clearly communicate the distinction between the 2 MOA scales when marketing their products (and I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that some of the manufactures don’t understand the difference, or its importance to the long range / precision shooter.) The Mil guys don’t have that concern……. as it’s been said here so many times, “a Mil is a Mil”.

The information on this post has been very informative as was Robert's article thats on the USO Optics website. Helped me immensely.

Thanks!

Dang runner your a freakin genius, to much math for me that I will never understand, but at least I have the right formulas now. Thanks for the work you put in

Thanks runner. For long range beginner like myself this is just what I was looking for. Awsome paper!

Here's another option when using a true MOA reticle for ranging. Instead of using 95.5 multiplier use 100. But when you divide by the image size subtract 5 yards for every hundred yards that you come up with.

Doc's examples

21" target * 100 / 2.5MOA = 840yards
21" target * 95.5 / 2.5MOA = 802.2 yards

If you use the top example of 840 yards subract 40 yards (8x5)
and you come up with 800 yards, only 2.2 yards off of the correct answer.

great info! do any of you guys know what my scope is either m.o.a or shooters moa?
i have a nightforce 5.5x22x50 with npr2 reticle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Randyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great info! do any of you guys know what my scope is either m.o.a or shooters moa?
i have a nightforce 5.5x22x50 with npr2 reticle </div></div>

Randyman,

Here is a copy of a previous post I had a long time ago. This should answer your question I hope.

Bob

O.K. Here are the results of my phone calls to Leupold, Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, U.S. Optics, S.W.F.A and Bushnell Optics.

Before I get into my great conversation with U.S. Optics, here are the results:

They all use “real” mathematical millradians, (which is 3.6 inches at 100 yards based on 6283.2 mils per circle) for their reticles.

Except for one (U.S. Optics), they also all use “true” Moa (1.047 inches at 100 yards) for their reticle spacings.

U.S. Optics, who were very helpful, say’s they make their scopes in real “mils”, but make most of their “moa” scopes in “shooters” moa (1 inch at 100 yards). They do sell a “true” moa scope also for those who want it.

Their refurbishing of the Unertl scopes also reveled that the original Unertl scopes were in “real” mils (3.6 inches at 100 yards). That is how U.S. Optics makes their scopes now.

Therefore, since my paper is for “Rifle” shooters, Snipers, Tactical shooters (and not artillery persons) I will change my paper to reflect only the “real” millradians and both “true” and “shooters” moa.

I want this paper to be a one source, definitive, accurate guide to “mils” and “moa” for shooters and to finally put the controversy to rest.

Thanks,
runner (Bob)
Inches are Inches
MOA is MOA

Don't get them confused, they are NOT interchangeable. This becomes increasingly more critical the farther out you go.

Example:

21" target * 100 / 2.5MOA = 840yards
21" target * 95.5 / 2.5MOA = 802.2 yards
The MD Master says 800 yards wink

This gives you an error of ~40 yards or the difference between your 800 yard dope and your 850 dope, in my rifle that's 3 MOA or about 25".

If your retical subtends minutes, use the MOA formula, if it subtends inches use the inches formula.

Cheers, Doc

To go along whith what Lindy said about the Loopy M1 knobs being 1" it is also wise to check any scope as dpending on the milling tolerances of the mfgr your adjustment value may be MORE or LESS.
Loopies are notorious for being .94 - .96 MOA

If it takes you 38 MOA to get to 1K via your ballistics card/program what ever it is that tells you to dail up....

MOA = 1.047" X 380 = 397.86"
SMOA = 1.0" X 380 = 380.00"
Loopy MOA = 0.95" X 380 = 361.00"

If the MOA were correct via the ballistics program and the bullet/shooter/rifle combo was perfect the SMOA would hit 17.86" low and the Loopy MOA would hit 36.86" low. I think this in a large part is where alot of people get fustrated at ballistics programs. They dial on what the comuper tells them to and then miss. They blame the computer instead of verifying what thier component parts are doing.

It's the concept of errors multiplying themselves. .047" isn't worth talking about, untill you have 38 of them stacked up then it has already become too significant to ignore.

Cheers, Doc

+1 for this thread.

Thanks! I was in need of that info! Got some research on my scopes to do. I had always used SMOA.

Darrell Holland is now teaching shooters to subtract one line thickness for rangefinding when using line reticles as people tend to bracket between lines instead of from center of line to center of line. I believe this to be correct, and actually stumbled upon this concept myself while reticle ranging a buck antelope several years ago with the Burris Ballistic Plex reticle. If u think about it it would actually "turn" some MOA reticles into ~IPHY subtensions. I think the NP-R1 is more accurately applied this way in the 3.5-15x.

I dislike most math but thoroughly enjoyed that article. I appreciate all the hard work you put into it, <span style="font-weight: bold">runner</span>. Thank you.

I know this is late but I want to add my thanks to runner for this great paper. I have had this tossed at me several times by folks who did not really understand what they were trying to teach, consequently this information never stuck with me.

A belated thank you to all of you who made the nice comments. Runner

I am new to the mil dot scopes and have been trying to do some homework on it so I have a little knowledge about them. I bought a bushnell banner 6 24X 40mm and I was wondering which power setting is supposed to be used to measure range. The manual that came with it says that the 9x is red and is supposed to be used for ranging but on the actual scope the 12x is the only red power....any help?

They probably copied and pasted from the 3-9 manual.

Take a sharpie and a ruler next time you shoot and make some lines on your target. Then adjust your magnification until the lines correspond, and you have your answer.

I wish i didn't suck at math so bad but i enjoyed the article ty

Thanks for the rundown!

I really appreciate the time you took to put this all together in an easy format to understand!

As an absolute MathmaTARD finally getting serious about these details, I offer you my sincerest thanks for the fantastic info. This thread has broadened my understanding and shown me alot of things I never knew I never knew.
Great thread and the enormous amount of work that's gone into it is greatly appreciated.

S/F

I had a question. What if you you dont know how tall your target is. For instance, if you're hunting. What do put in for hieght as far as the equation goes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATHONCALL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a question. What if you you dont know how tall your target is. For instance, if you're hunting. What do put in for hieght as far as the equation goes?

</div></div>

Instead of measuring height from ground to top of back, I've had some luck with numbers I've found for height from chest to top of back. Obviously they're still a SWAG of sorts, but I figured it'd be a little more precise than the extra bit you could be off on full height.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pronghorn antelope = 14"-15"
Small deer = 14"-15"
Medium size deer = 17"-18"
Large deer = 18"-20"
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CASDB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATHONCALL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a question. What if you you dont know how tall your target is. For instance, if you're hunting. What do put in for hieght as far as the equation goes?

</div></div>

Instead of measuring height from ground to top of back, I've had some luck with numbers I've found for height from chest to top of back. Obviously they're still a SWAG of sorts, but I figured it'd be a little more precise than the extra bit you could be off on full height.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pronghorn antelope = 14"-15"
Small deer = 14"-15"
Medium size deer = 17"-18"
Large deer = 18"-20"
</div></div> </div></div>

Thanks. I had just got done reading that from some info I found on google.