• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Milsurp Ammo question

SeaLegs

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2014
North Carolina
I recently came across a can of old M1 30 Cal ball ammo and I noticed something kind of strange. While I was inspecting it to see if it was still ok to shoot, I noticed that the rounds are randomly mixed steel core and soft tip. Is it normal for Milsurp ammo to be issued that way? I have a few pictures of the can and the ammo which might help I know most of this is probably corrosive primers so I only plan on using this in a bolt gun but it just struck me strange to see steel and soft mixed like that out of the box.

upload by bigmuddybronco, on Flickr

I recently came across a can of old M1 30 Cal ball ammo and I noticed something kind of strange. While I was inspecting it to see if it was still ok to shoot, I noticed that the rounds are randomly mixed steel core and soft tip. Is it normal for Milsurp ammo to be issued that way? I have a few pictures of the can and the ammo which might help I know most of this is probably corrosive primers so I only plan on using this in a bolt gun but it just struck me strange to see steel and soft mixed like that out of the box.

Soft tip ammo would not be military but you picture doesn't show any soft tip that I can see. Do you mean regular ball and steel core? If so, that wouldn't be uncommon. Then again, it's a cloth belt so it's not like it couldn't have been done by someone other than the military.

Last edited:
We used to load 1 in 5 SLAP to ball or tracer. I believe the steel core was to serve an AP role. Didnt know they came mixed like that, but hey learn something new everyday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I meant ball not soft tip. (It was late lol.) Thanks for the info. So now I just have to figure out how much of this is gi issue and what is not. .

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The headstamp will tell you a great deal about the ammo, unless the ammo was re-manufactured using brass with the original primers, and pulled bullets. Check the bullets to see if they are sealed into the case with a tar like substance. If the bullets pull out easily, it may mean that the ammo is re-manufactured.

After going through the can it seems that the top belt had been refilled with some odd ball stuff but all the rest of the belt was Remington Arms made in 1943. Thanks so much for the great info you guys helped this old squid out alot!