• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Missing posts after the Site update

Graham

Generalissimo
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2007
Michigan
I was looking for an old post to respond to a PM. It appears as if I lost about a month of postings from 10/07, plus a few topics I created, plus a few selected posts in the middle somewhere. Either that, or I'm really bad at searching through my own stuff. Do posts get deleted and drop off after a few years, and what's up with the missing stuff?

Re: Missing posts after the Site update

RG,

I pruned exceptionally heavy this time around because the site was getting the upgrade to the new version and it tends to go better with less files floating around.

So, it is very possible I Ax'd it. I do it by date range and just hit everything, so there is no real pick and choose as there is too much to even consider it.

Even the cheesy forum stats give the tale of the tape:
Total Members: 25243
New in past 24 hours: 30
New in past 7 days: 188
New in past month: 957
Total Forums: 31
Total Topics: 25378
Total Posts: 327679

That's a lot of scrap files to be dealing with.

Roger that. No problem. Just wondered.
smile.gif

Graham: I've found that it's a good idea to keep a text file on my local system of things I post on the Hide. I started that about the fifth time I posted a note about the desirability and uses of an FFP reticle, because any given question will probably be asked many, many times...
laugh.gif

Russ, that explains a lot, actually.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Graham: I've found that it's a good idea to keep a text file on my local system of things I post on the Hide. I started that about the fifth time I posted a note about the desirability and uses of an FFP reticle, because any given question will probably be asked many, many times...
laugh.gif

</div></div>

And this way, you can keep making new posts long after you're dead...

Lindy is actually just a PDP-11 stuck in the basement of the computer science dept at the University of Iowa running a perpetual program that searches for the term "metric" or "density altitude" and responds randomly with one of six prepared statements.

Incorrect, alas...
laugh.gif

I used to be an IBM 1604 with a 4 kilobyte magnetic drum memory. But I got a hardware upgrade recently, and now I'm a program written in MMIX running on a PC emulator.