• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK 12 Picture & Discussion Thread

While not 100% clone correct, this is my Mk12 Mod 0-ish clone.

It is BY FAR my favorite platform in the AR world. Shoots regular ball ammo extreeeemely well while being able to get my Mk12 itch.

Setup:

Anchor Harvey M4 Upper
FN CHF/CL 18" Rifle Gas 1:8 .223 Wylde Chamber with Mk12 brake
ToolCraft NIB BCG
PRI Gen 3 Mk12 Tube with Full 1913 rail
PRI Folding Mk12 FSB
ARMS Wingless #40 Rear
PSA Ambi CH
POF Ambi Selector
KAC Legacy 2-Stage NSN Trigger
Harris Bipod
KAC VFG
Bushnell Nitro 3-12X44 with Deploy MIL (solid scope with a very usable reticle)

My very own krylon paint job.
WM5gLa8.jpg

Group with Monarch Brass .223:
w599QmE.jpg

Reactions: PorkChop
I've got the itch to part with my Nightforce 42mm in favor of going clone correct. If anyone's tired of using their Leupold TS30 let me know if you want to swap out.

Project Clone MK262 worked like a charm. No more spending $1.30 a round for black hills.
Nice, what all did use for relaoding components?

Powder, charge weight, primer and smk vs tmk?

Thanks and good results

Remember folks, my load info might not work for you. I took a look at the mk262 videos from Johnys Reloading on YouTube. He was doing 23.2g and getting nasty pressure signs. Mine was not having that issue so I bumped it up a tenth of a grain, and the juice was worth the squeeze.

Lake City brass trimmed to minimum length, CCI 41 primers, 23.3g of AR Comp (compressed load) sitting under a 77g SMK w/cantelure and slight crimp. OAL is 2.246.

A lot of people would get their feelings hurt to know I’m using a bootleg BCG that’s adjustable for suppressor use. I swear that has something to do with how less beat up my brass comes out.

I built a MK 12 Mod 0 got it completed in 2011.
since I have upgraded the bolt to Sharps Reliable Bolt and put a Roller Cam Kit on the Carrier I replaced the Buffer Spring with a Braided 3 Wire Buffer Spring and replaced the A2 Buffer with a Hydraulic Kynshot Buffer.
everything else is spec. Sure is a good rifle.

If anyone is looking for an ARMS #40 rear sight, I have a like new one I am replacing with the #40 L.

Nice, what all did use for relaoding components?

Powder, charge weight, primer and smk vs tmk?

Thanks and good results
77gr SMK
IMR 8208 @ 23.8
CCI 41
cOAL 2.245”
LC Brass
light crimp with Lee factory crimp die
2750 FPS in 18” MK 12

Last edited:
Reactions: shlouf
I've got the itch to part with my Nightforce 42mm in favor of going clone correct. If anyone's tired of using their Leupold TS30 let me know if you want to swap out.
Oh No my TS 30 has been on mod 0 for 10 years now I would like to have a clip on PVS 22 and Allen Can

Reactions: Longshot85
Took my Grandson out to the range today. He shot the LMT MK12ish out too 200 yards. I took a video of the 2 shots but didn't think to take a video of him before the shot. No I wasn't a cheap ass only only gave him 2 rounds to shoot it was just his final 2 shots. Always a great time taking him to the range.

Last edited:
Not trying to steal any thunder from ARFCOM, but I can't hardly stand to get on there anymore. Figured there may some interest in a MK12 picture and discussion thread on here. I'll start:

Lower: Nodak Spud M16A1 'black' lower, Geissele SSA-E trigger, Colt A-1 grip and stock (trapdoor), Fulton Armory A1 extension with buffer and spring, Colt no-tic safety selector, no name milspec LPK

Upper: Colt AF forged M4 feedramp upper, tear drop FA, PRI Gasbuster charging handle with .mil big latch. Colt BCG. A.R.M.S. #40 rear with bonus point wingless swan logo, A.R.M.S. #38 SPR-PEQ 2-3 rail, Douglas barrel 1:7 twist, PRI milled flat flip up gas block, Colt gas tube, A.R.M.S. #22 M rings, Leupold MK 4 2.5-8 M/RT with M2 dials. Actual old stock Ops brake and collar. Allen Engineering AEM5. KAC bipod adapter with Harris BRMS and pod loc. KAC sling mount with Uncle Mikes sling stud. Oh and a A.R.M.S. TRC ring cap and rail.

This is my best effort at a late gen Mod 0. Big upgrades would be a Colt M16A1 lower (my birthday is coming up if anyone is feeling generous) and the original OPS 12th can.
This is an absolutely beautiful build! I love the paint especially. I've got a few receiver sets from Precision Reflex and plan to build one similar to the Mk12 Mod 0, but with a match barrel.

Do you have any other projects going on?

This is a gorgeous rig! Wow!

Could you share the build list please?
Thanks, but it's not anything special. Nothing except the PRI rail and barrel/sight block/trigger are clone correct. Receiver is a NP3 set from Spikes, Geissele HSNM DMR trigger, Barrel is a Rainier Match SPR profile 1:8 that has been bedded, and scope is a cheap Athlon 3-15x something or other. I used to run a bog standard phosphate BCG but it has a JP FMOS group in it now. It shoots my 262 clone loads right under .75 MOA and gets out to 700 pretty easy unless there is even a tiny bit of wind :) I Cerakoted everything in Troy Coyote. I regret painting it, should have left it black. Also I failed to get the AEM-5 can while they were still in stock, and I was told that Allen is retiring and won't be making any more. I want to build a Mod 1, but I'll be using a CLE Krieger barrel for it.

Reactions: SpringThom
FWIW - I posted up a factory sealed A.R.M.S #38 PEQ2-3 on GB just now without a reserve. I was trying to offer it up to people saying "make me an offer or a trade" but I got ran through the cheese grader because I didn't care about the price and everyone wanted a fixed price (which I can kind of understand). Hope this helps anyone looking for a clone correct legit rail for their Mk12 Mod 0 builds.

Let’s revive this thread. I got bit by the bug.
The Mod 0 is PRI built. I just finished the Mod H(ish) tonight. Otter Creek Labs OCM5 is on order.

Attachments

• 17E0776E-19BE-4040-AA12-98591F95BA1F.jpeg
    17E0776E-19BE-4040-AA12-98591F95BA1F.jpeg
    675.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 57CCF82F-FEA1-4B52-85DE-3EE70D0F9F4C.jpeg
    57CCF82F-FEA1-4B52-85DE-3EE70D0F9F4C.jpeg
    561.7 KB · Views: 463
Reactions: MARLINLEVER
My MK12 Mod 1 built by Kevin at HCS.
Had a terrible time trying to resource the correct rail and got impatient waiting so I said screw it. Turns out I really enjoy the URX 4 they put on.

Attachments

• 01E0AD0F-FC54-4665-AD73-B519D8B8EA31.jpeg
    01E0AD0F-FC54-4665-AD73-B519D8B8EA31.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 153
  • C6DD505C-46D6-489C-A0E6-DA8608D0F1D2.jpeg
    C6DD505C-46D6-489C-A0E6-DA8608D0F1D2.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 023C805E-1EAD-4578-9E86-522EC80D0C37.jpeg
    023C805E-1EAD-4578-9E86-522EC80D0C37.jpeg
    487.1 KB · Views: 153
Took the mk12 out for a little bit yesterday. Haven’t had it out of the safe in some time and was surprised so see this. Interesting what the flow pattern is.

08A908AE-1E18-4DC6-A884-74454FC7D126.jpeg
78167523-FC08-4677-BEB6-3E87349B250C.jpeg
EB0613B5-CD53-4047-A93B-99615C422401.jpeg

Reactions: MARLINLEVER
20190426_202514[1].jpg

Rainier's Shilen 1:8" ratchet-rifled, Wylde-chambered barrel or Superlative gas block aren't clone correct, but neither is the NP-R2 reticle in the 2.5-10x24, but it still works like a champ. That's an actual Ops Inc 12th Model can (ca. 2011) also. 75gr HPBT over 23.5gr 8208XBR or 77SMK over 23.5gr TAC in LC00 brass gives me 2750.

View attachment 7748724
Rainier's Shilen 1:8" ratchet-rifled, Wylde-chambered barrel or Superlative gas block aren't clone correct, but neither is the NP-R2 reticle in the 2.5-10x24, but it still works like a champ. That's an actual Ops Inc 12th Model can (ca. 2011) also. 75gr HPBT over 23.5gr 8208XBR or 77SMK over 23.5gr TAC in LC00 brass gives me 2750.
I have that same barrel and run the same XBR load in my SPR build.
1BA98CE6-3D0F-4F45-A34B-F7900A43D89F.jpeg

Well, I told myself I'd never do a MK12 clone....but after Shark Arms had PEQ-3s for sale I just ordered a PRI Mod 0 upper from MidwayUSA and have started looking at Apex for the A1 stock and bits. I think I have a properly filled cart at Apex, but would welcome a sanity check as I've never been a fixed stock guy and this will be my first lower build as one.

Stock
Receiver Extension
Upper Buttplate Screw
Buffer

I'm thinking I'll snag a Colt or no name mil-spec LPK without FCG and do a Geissele SSA.

What's the best clone receiver available now? I have an 80% lower I could finish and have engraved by someone, but have never done that and have no idea who would take on an 80% lower, either finished or still in uncompleted form, and end up with a clone correct finished receiver.

So, help me spend my money. Does the Apex cart look good for the stock and associated bits? Is there a clone correct receiver that's available or is an 80%, either finished by me or an FFL, the way to go?

I blame all of you guys who've posted your gorgeous builds over the years here and elsewhere for this rash decision making :)

Well, I told myself I'd never do a MK12 clone....but after Shark Arms had PEQ-3s for sale I just ordered a PRI Mod 0 upper from MidwayUSA and have started looking at Apex for the A1 stock and bits. I think I have a properly filled cart at Apex, but would welcome a sanity check as I've never been a fixed stock guy and this will be my first lower build as one.

Stock
Receiver Extension
Upper Buttplate Screw
Buffer

I'm thinking I'll snag a Colt or no name mil-spec LPK without FCG and do a Geissele SSA.

What's the best clone receiver available now? I have some 80% lowers I could finish and have engraved by someone, but have never done that and have no idea who would take on an 80% lower, either finished or still in uncompleted form, and end up with a clone correct finished receiver.

So, help me spend my money. Does the Apex cart look good for the stock and associated bits? Is there a clone correct receiver that's available or is an 80%, either finished by me or an FFL, the way to go?

I blame all of you guys who've posted your gorgeous builds over the years here and elsewhere for this rash decision making :)
Unless they are a1 profile 80% lowers, I wouldn't bother using one for a mk12. I'd just use whatever lower you have readily available until JJE/PSA releases the H&R M16a1 lowers later this year.

Reactions: towerofpower93
Unless they are a1 profile 80% lowers, I wouldn't bother using one for a mk12. I'd just use whatever lower you have readily available until JJE/PSA releases the H&R M16a1 lowers later this year.

Thanks. That makes sense.

I'll probably just look to pick up another rando lower with as little extra shit engraved on it as possible and roll with it.

Oh, and a total shot in the dark....but does anybody have an AEM-5 in stock? Looked high and low and all the normal online places are OOS as I expected.

I'd even get silly and buy one second hand from someone getting out of the game.

I think most guys are going to the ocm5 now days.
I was able to meet my SOT and shoot my OCM5 a week ago. The dealer that I had my AEM5 on order through stated they just received the last batch of AEM5-30 cans and that the orders were from two years ago. I have no regrets canceling my AEM5 after 7 months.

find an OCM5 in stock and get the paperwork/efile started so you can receive it before you retire.

Reactions: godofthunder
I was able to meet my SOT and shoot my OCM5 a week ago. The dealer that I had my AEM5 on order through stated they just received the last batch of AEM5-30 cans and that the orders were from two years ago. I have no regrets canceling my AEM5 after 7 months.

find an OCM5 in stock and get the paperwork/efile started so you can receive it before you retire.
What did you think of the performance when you shot it?