• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk 13 Mod 0 stock

Thanks for the reply, I was there a few times but that picture was taken in 2006/2007. I'll attach a picture and yes that's the rail. I sent a text to a friend of mine who used the rifle more than I did to see if he remembered it having one.
I call McMillan yesterday to ask if they could modify it and the production manager told me they repurposed all the A2 molds and milling jigs. He said they couldn't put it back into the machine if they wanted too. Turns out this thing may be a collector items. Regardless, I need to make a decision about what I'm going to do with it.
You guys are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate everyone's input. I've had a few too many concussions and it's quite possible this is what I'm looking for though I don't remember it that way.

Attachments

• PXL_20210312_142136436.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210312_142136436.MP.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 161
  • PXL_20210312_142143332.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210312_142143332.MP.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 175
  • PXL_20210312_142148735.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210312_142148735.MP.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 161
  • PXL_20210312_142154899.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210312_142154899.MP.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 163
Thanks for the pics. That stock looks like its the right configuration including the rail - but it lacks the milling and insert for the "L" shaped recoil lug and associated screw. There is a forum member who had a bunch of take-off Mk 13 stocks for sale over the past few years, but he recently posted that he had sold his last one...as that would be the ideal starting point.

So you'll have to decide if you want to build your rifle with that stock with the recoil lug, or without it. If you want to use the same "L" shaped lug, you'll have to hunt down a lug, and then have your gunsmith modify/mill your stock so its in the same configuration as the Crane A2 stocks. It's doable, but will require some additional work, and perhaps a little bit of luck re the lug. Since you have the MIRS rail and an action, and the barrels are still available, it seems like you now just need to find a recoil lug for sale.

Fwiw, Badger Ordnance used to sell the L-shaped lugs several years ago for maybe $50 or $60, but I don't think they have any more (see 1st pic - box is dated 2014). Also shown in the '3rd action screw' for the lug. So some hunting will be required. Other pics are my take-off Mk 13 Mod 0 stock and the milling that McMillan did for 'Navy lug', and what it looks like (it's just resting on the stock and not torqued down in my pic). I hope that info helps.

Attachments

• IMG_8813.jpg
    IMG_8813.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_8811.jpg
    IMG_8811.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_8812.jpg
    IMG_8812.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_8815.jpg
    IMG_8815.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I was there a few times but that picture was taken in 2006/2007. I'll attach a picture and yes that's the rail. I sent a text to a friend of mine who used the rifle more than I did to see if he remembered it having one.
I call McMillan yesterday to ask if they could modify it and the production manager told me they repurposed all the A2 molds and milling jigs. He said they couldn't put it back into the machine if they wanted too. Turns out this thing may be a collector items. Regardless, I need to make a decision about what I'm going to do with it.
You guys are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate everyone's input. I've had a few too many concussions and it's quite possible this is what I'm looking for though I don't remember it that way.
I got a repro L lug if ya need. will send to u for $40.

Reactions: Random Guy
Thanks for the pics. That stock looks like its the right configuration including the rail - but it lacks the milling and insert for the "L" shaped recoil lug and associated screw. There is a forum member who had a bunch of take-off Mk 13 stocks for sale over the past few years, but he recently posted that he had sold his last on...as that would be the ideal starting point.

So you'll have to decide if you want to build your rifle with that stock with the recoil lug, or without it. If you want to use the same "L" shaped lug, you'll have to hunt down a lug, and then have your gunsmith modify/mill your stock to its in the same configuration as the Crane A2 stocks. It's doable, but will require some additional work, and perhaps a little bit of luck re the lug. Since you have the MIRS rail and an action, and the barrels are still available, it should like you now need to find a recoil lug for sale.

Fwiw, Badger Ordnance used to sell the L-shaped lugs several years ago for maybe $50 or $60, but I don't think they have any more (see 1st pic - box is dated 2014). Also shown in the '3rd action screw' for the lug. So some hunting will be required. Other pics are my take-off Mk 13 Mod 0 stock and the milling that McMillan did for 'Navy lug', and what it looks like (it's just resting on the stock and not torqued down in my pic). I hope that info helps.
This is a great help. Looks like my rail is set back a touch further. It may prove some trouble in adding the lug

The Lug will work fine, it is the 3rd action screw that you may have trouble with. You can run an L lug without the third screw.

That would appear to be good idea for SFC RHYNO's stock. I didn't think about that until now, but that is correct re action screw when one notes the fact that match-prepared M14s with rear lugs have been made with and without torque screws, and both systems work as intended. My understanding is that the purpose of the L-shaped lug (and the rear lug on a match-prepared M14/M1 receiver) was to significantly increase the surface area of the lug against the bedding material within the stock. This allows the recoil forces to be spread out against a much larger surface area and thus reduce "bedding break-down" - and thereby extend the life of the bedding job to maintain accuracy over time. (Hence the 'thicker' recoil lugs you see on the USMC M40A3/A5 and other bedded match rifles). Crane just took it another level on their 300 WinMags back in the mid-1990s.

Attached are pics of the standard Remington M700 lug vs the Crane lug designed for the 300 WinMag rifles - the difference in surface area is not trivial...

Random factoid from the guy at Crane who invented the L-shaped lug circa 1993ish. He was a CNC machine programmer at the time, and told me this a while back: "We provided a sample recoil lug to Precision Reflex Inc (PRI) and they offered the lug as a commercial item, apparently called the 'Big Foot' lug. Not sure how long it was offered as a commercial item. I was told that some benchrest shooters used this lug."

Attachments

• IMG_8816.jpg
    IMG_8816.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8817.jpg
    IMG_8817.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Some of you might be interested in thoroughbred armaments sale on mod 5 deployment kits and surplus mags. The surplus mags were $25 for AI mags and looked brand new with only a few minor scratches.

I got some new 2015 Military Imuns Rails new in package. You can see they are 'M'marked and the top rails have different coating than the bottom. A few of my take off kits has these. A few of my later ones had the IMUNS that are same as the current commercial ones.
IMG_3486.jpeg
IMG_3487.jpeg
IMG_3488.jpeg
IMG_3489.jpeg
IMG_3490.jpeg

Last edited:
I listed several mars rails earlier for anyone wanting to build a pre Stiller mod 5.

Were any flip-cap lens covers ever issued with any Mk13 optics?

I have the rubber bikini covers that came with my Nightforce, but I was curious if any specific flip-caps were ever issued or even, if there are any pictures of any in the wild?

Were any flip-cap lens covers ever issued with any Mk13 optics?

I have the rubber bikini covers that came with my Nightforce, but I was curious if any specific flip-caps were ever issued or even, if there are any pictures of any in the wild?
most nxs ones had the bikini covers but a lot of butler creeks were used.

079966835b69911169c25e343cb1f6f9.jpg
115998604_313566739837887_6935682087870991827_n.jpg
bf30469b38yguj.jpg
f703918fc104.jpg
nab2a.jpg
rgrd.jpg
ww2nOur.jpg

Friend just sent me these photos of a few chassis he is selling. The dope cards are pretty interesting. I know some people got kits with the cards missing and just the velcro underneath. Could use these as reference to replicate some homemade cards.

Attachments

• IMG_5218.jpeg
    IMG_5218.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_5217.jpeg
    IMG_5217.jpeg
    423.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_5216.jpeg
    IMG_5216.jpeg
    646.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_5219.jpeg
    IMG_5219.jpeg
    628.1 KB · Views: 172
What are you guys doing for Mk11 suppressors? Will a new production can be “correct” for a mod 5?

Unsure, previous owner said it was correct and was bought locally (Georgia).

edit: the date makes me wary of the time period
Unsure, previous owner said it was correct and was bought locally (Georgia).

edit: the date makes me wary of the time period
That is a reproduction of the Eagle Sling you posted with the D-5 tag. Rumor was an individual got a bunch of issue chassis a few years ago and had eagle do another run of slings to go with them. You can see the small differences in the material /tags / hardware.

For what it's worth, the reproduction Eagle is a really nice sling, even if it's not an actual issued sling. And it looks pretty close in appearance.

Certainly looks nice on a Mod 5 clone.

But it's always nice to know exactly what you've got, especially when it comes to these historically significant pieces of kit. So, I always appreciate the feedback from guys who know more than I about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilikebmxbikes
The Quantico Shooting Club (QSC) held it's twice annual 'vintage precision rifle match' this past weekend, and one of the competitors used his Mk 13 Mod 0 replica. I took a pic for anyone interested. He added a SureFire brake and a 2nd dope card, but its an early (painted) gray take-off stock and MIRs rail (rings look kind-of salty, so those might be original parts too). Just thought I'd post a random pic. Looks like he used Black Hills ammo for the match.

Attachments

• Quantico_VPR_042021_Mk_13_Mod_0_left_v2.jpg
    Quantico_VPR_042021_Mk_13_Mod_0_left_v2.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
No surprises here, but one more praise for Robert's outstanding smithing skills.

2nd time I've shot my 13 from him today: clay pigeon at 492 yards, 25mph wind at my 7 oclock with 165 grain soft point deer killer.
1st shot a smidgen low, 2nd shot no more clay pigeon.

Got her to 617yd, no problems at all. Lethal.

Need to find some real ammo sometime soon hopefully.

Not to hijack this thread, but also not to create a whole separate thread for one small, completely related question: what length fore end tube does the Mk13 Mod 7 AX AICS chassis use?

I’ve seen somewhere that it’s the 13” tube, but comparing one to a post-2014 AX AICS also with a 13” fore end tube, they seem to be completely different. Or do the pre and post 2014 AX AICS chassis systems just measure their fore end lengths differently?

EB0E7608-FE74-43F4-987D-6C29530320AF.jpeg

it is a 13" rail. its the older style with the 10x screws on the bottom to fix the forend to the chassis.

Reactions: kft101
it is a 13" rail. its the older style with the 10x screws on the bottom to fix the forend to the chassis.

Thanks for confirming. And that’s odd about the 13” tubes being different lengths between the pre and post 2014 AX AICS models. Their 16” tubes are pretty much exactly the same except for the method of mounting to the chassis body, and the key slot beveling.

2F27EA13-8308-4D99-AB6A-75D0F68A549B.jpeg

Chris Higgins at Red Bull Armory is currently taking orders for new Mk13 Mod 7 kits! In order to make this an easier process for customers, he's splitting up the payments for the kits so that it's less of a financial burden up front. Accuracy International requires a minimum order of 50 chassis, so Chris needs to get 50 people to sign up for these kits in order to make this group buy happen. About half of the kits are spoken for right now, so this project is close to becoming reality!

If anyone here wants to purchase a Mod 7 kit, please contact Chris directly, his information is on the attached documents. This will be the last time AI will produce these chassis, so if you want a Mod 7 build this is your chance! Orders need to be in no later than May 31st.

QXhcpzo.jpg

8AJIKXi.jpg

$640 for magazines..... C'mon man that is ridiculous. Everyone knows how flooded the market is on those. You can literally buy them for $25 apiece right now.
Those are completely different magazines than the ones in this kit. Plus these are coming directly from AI, not DRMO surplus, and the price is still lower than what AI dealers charge. For example:

https://www.eurooptic.com/ax-aics-magazine-5-round-300-win-mag.aspx

EuroOptic is charging $96 for each AX magazine, wheras the same AX magazine in this kit is only $80. I highly doubt you can find these magazines brand new at this price anywhere else.

Additionally, there's tons of cost savings elsewhere in this kit, such as the Surefire 4 prong flash hider and the chassis. The Surefire 4 prong isn't sold commercially, so they typically trade hands between collectors for $600+, but it's included in this kit at the MSRP of $130. Used chassis have sold for about $2,500, whereas the one in this kit is at MSRP for $1,550. Here's a used one that recently sold, so everyone can see the cost savings for themselves:

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-international-new-pics.7070584/#post-9428218

Everything in this kit is brand spanking new and is available at a much greater cost savings than trying to find rare (and sometimes out of production parts) separately. Additionally, there aren't any added shipping/insurance costs associated with each of these items and Chris is giving buyers a $100 discount on gunsmithing fees. Taking just these cost savings into account, people will be saving over $1,500 with this kit. And the kits are broken down into 2 payments a few months apart, so it's an easier financial proposition for customers. And they're going to be built by the Crane gunsmith who was responsible for developing the Mod 7 rifle. This is an extremely good deal for anyone who wants one of thes rifles!

Edited to add more information on the AI magazines:

The magazines that come with this kit are the AI AX mags that have a lip on the front end. The cheaper AI magazines that places like Thoroughbred Armament are selling for $25 is the old style magazine without the front lip. Those magazines are great for the Mod 5's AICS 2.0 chassis, but they aren't the best option for the Mod 7 chassis. The AX mags use the lip to lock up the front end of the magazine in the chassis mag well, which provides a more secure fit and positive feeding. In contrast, the old mags without the lip can wiggle around in the Mod 7 chassis and lead to feeding issues. That's why AI made specific improvements to their AX magazines.

Long story short, we're dealing with 2 different types of magazines and the ones inthe Mod 7 kit are the ones everyone needs for their build. And each magazine included in the kit is about $16 cheaper than the exact same mag at dealers like EuroOptic! This is another cost savings of around $128!

Last edited:
I may or may not go in on this, so I don’t have anything vested either way, but just on the mags, FYI that the AX mags are different than the surplus Mk13 Mod5 mags. The Mod7 mags should have a lip on the front to “hook” into the chassis, whereas the older AICS and Mod5 mags don’t. So it’s not a direct apples-to-apples comparison on price.

Also, that is a very good price for the spec Mod7 chassis, which as noted is no longer made, especially if it comes with the Stiller specific action rail.

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
Those are completely different magazines than the ones in this kit. Plus these are coming directly from AI, not DRMO surplus, and the price is still lower than what AI dealers charge. For example:

https://www.eurooptic.com/ax-aics-magazine-5-round-300-win-mag.aspx

EuroOptic is charging $96 for each AX magazine, wheras the same AX magazine in this kit is only $80. I highly doubt you can find these magazines brand new at this price anywhere else.

Additionally, there's tons of cost savings elsewhere in this kit, such as the Surefire 4 prong flash hider and the chassis. The Surefire 4 prong isn't sold commercially, so they typically trade hands between collectors for $600+, but it's included in this kit at the MSRP of $130. Used chassis have sold for about $2,500, whereas the one in this kit is at MSRP for $1,550. Here's a used one that recently sold, so everyone can see the cost savings for themselves:

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-international-new-pics.7070584/#post-9428218

Everything in this kit is brand spanking new and is available at a much greater cost savings than trying to find rare (and sometimes out of production parts) separately. Additionally, there aren't any added shipping/insurance costs associated with each of these items and Chris is giving buyers a $100 discount on gunsmithing fees. Taking just these cost savings into account, people will be saving over $1,500 with this kit. And the kits are broken down into 2 payments a few months apart, so it's an easier financial proposition for customers. And they're going to be built by the Crane gunsmith who was responsible for developing the Mod 7 rifle. This is an extremely good deal for anyone who wants one of thes rifles!

Edited to add more information on the AI magazines:

The magazines that come with this kit are the AI AX mags that have a lip on the front end. The cheaper AI magazines that places like Thoroughbred Armament are selling for $25 is the old style magazine without the front lip. Those magazines are great for the Mod 5's AICS 2.0 chassis, but they aren't the best option for the Mod 7 chassis. The AX mags use the lip to lock up the front end of the magazine in the chassis mag well, which provides a more secure fit and positive feeding. In contrast, the old mags without the lip can wiggle around in the Mod 7 chassis and lead to feeding issues. That's why AI made specific improvements to their AX magazines.

Long story short, we're dealing with 2 different types of magazines and the ones inthe Mod 7 kit are the ones everyone needs for their build. And each magazine included in the kit is about $16 cheaper than the exact same mag at dealers like EuroOptic! This is another cost savings of around $128!
You are correct bro. I removed my comment from this morning as I was mistaken on which ones he was referring to. Cost analysis makes sense to me.... just another reason why I shouldn't comment before I have had my coffee. Chris is a good guy and hope that the post didn't detract from the quality work that he delivers to his customers. I know he has to make a living like all of us.

Reactions: ilikebmxbikes
I got some old stock mk13 mod 0 slings - 06/09 and 09/06 dated Turner Saddlery Military Contract slings. They also used on a lot of other guns that came out of crane in that period of time.

Wow look at you with the stash of awesomeness on top of awesomeness.

Lets go to PM and tell me what else you have prior to posting it and Ill help you gauge the awesomeness level.

Any USMC Remington 870 Mk 1 Bayonet adapters?

Edit/Add - and thank you for posting your awesome finds to sell here rather than Ebay!

Wow look at you with the stash of awesomeness on top of awesomeness.

Lets go to PM and tell me what else you have prior to posting it and Ill help you gauge the awesomeness level.

Any USMC Remington 870 Mk 1 Bayonet adapters?

Edit/Add - and thank you for posting your awesome finds to sell here rather than Ebay!
no 870 parts but ill keep eyes open.

• Love
Reactions: pmclaine
For a long time many of us have been searching long and hard to find and replicate the mk13 tool kits to accompany our mk13 deployment kits. Here are the contents to a mk13 mod 5/7 kit. This kit has the dual marked wrench, but most mod 5/7 kits have been with a blank wrenches without markings. Most the stiller kits have had simple mk13 wrenches like the remingtons.

IMG_4963.jpg
IMG_4964.jpg
IMG_4965.jpg
IMG_4966.jpg
IMG_4967.jpg

Chris Higgins at Red Bull Armory is currently taking orders for new Mk13 Mod 7 kits! In order to make this an easier process for customers, he's splitting up the payments for the kits so that it's less of a financial burden up front. Accuracy International requires a minimum order of 50 chassis, so Chris needs to get 50 people to sign up for these kits in order to make this group buy happen. About half of the kits are spoken for right now, so this project is close to becoming reality!

If anyone here wants to purchase a Mod 7 kit, please contact Chris directly, his information is on the attached documents. This will be the last time AI will produce these chassis, so if you want a Mod 7 build this is your chance! Orders need to be in no later than May 31st.

QXhcpzo.jpg

8AJIKXi.jpg

Wanted to give everyone a heads up, the 31st of May is the deadline for the Mk13 Mod 7 kits. Please contact Chris Higgins if you're interested in a kit.

Reactions: lr123
Wanted to give everyone a heads up, the 31st of May is the deadline for the Mk13 Mod 7 kits. Please contact Chris Higgins if you're interested in a kit.
Any idea how many kits are left? I’m hoping it fills up so it meets the minimum number required.

Took some pictures yesterday of the (finally) completed Mod 0 project. I initially had an issued Leupold M1 10x on it. I felt a little higher magnification would be welcome so tracked down an old mildot NXS 5.5-22 as well as early engraved NF rings. Everything is issued and/or era correct. Serial # is a handful off an issued rifle. Only the Lilja barrel and action were sourced from the "civilian" side. Built by RWS, it's a laser beam.
I think this just about does it for this one.
Hope you guys enjoy it.
20210531_152351.jpg
20210531_150829.jpg
20210531_150810.jpg
20210531_150642.jpg

Took some pictures yesterday of the (finally) completed Mod 0 project. I initially had an issued Leupold M1 10x on it. I felt a little higher magnification would be welcome so tracked down an old mildot NXS 5.5-22 as well as early engraved NF rings. Everything is issued and/or era correct. Serial # is a handful off an issued rifle. Only the Lilja barrel and action were sourced from the "civilian" side. Built by RWS, it's a laser beam.
I think this just about does it for this one.
Hope you guys enjoy it.
View attachment 7638226View attachment 7638227View attachment 7638228View attachment 7638229

That transport case is going to be a relic of "pre sensitivity training USA".

• Haha
Reactions: BScore and m1marty
Maybe I haven’t been paying attention, but this is the first time I have seen a qrty code on one of these stocks?

I have one on my Stiller action, but I didn’t realize these were used that long ago. Very cool.